Nice save by the NYPD on Anthem of the seas

tgwabd

Somehow I doubt they would put that thing up in the air with a helicopter nearby.

I’m onboard, and can confirm that the North Star was not operational during this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one thing I noticed, and not a complaint, that is different from typical USCG helicopter winching is that the helicopter stayed over the ship while winching. USCG helicopters, and most maritime rescue agencies will move over the water while winching, in case things go badly. It keeps the helicopter and the basket away from possibly swinging into obstructions in a wind gust, and it is softer to land on the water than on the ship if things go really sideways.

But a Bravo Zulu to New York's Finest.

Chief, It may be that they were lifting off the passenger from deck 15 which is a lot higher than the helipad on deck 7 so it was a long way down to the surface of the ocean.

I wonder why the helipad at the front of the ship wasn't utilized. It could have been because of high winds there as we ran into that causing snow drifts across the roadway when driving back from our Anthem cruise to Southern Ontario on that day. Possibly the funnel, seaplex and iFly tower were being used as windbreaks may be another reason for doing the lift this way.

Not sure if the ship was still in the Ambrose channel, and couldn't turn around to put the helideck downwind. Also, not sure the NYPD chopper pilots are experienced in a "moving hover" that a moving ship requires, especially with the helicopter in front of the ship and the ship moving towards the helicopter. I'm not an expert, for sure, but I was always told that regardless of height, it is safer to winch over water than over a structure.

Chief, According to the article the ship changed its course and headed toward the Coney Island area where the Aviation Unit Quick Reaction Force aircraft — with four team members aboard — lowered a tactical medic onto the vessel so Anthem wasn't in that channel.

I agree moving away from the ship while winching appears to be the safer procedure and was done the one time we saw this being done onboard a cruise ship. We wouldn't want a new helicopter attraction added to the Seaplex complex.

Hope that the gentleman is OK. Seconds are important in a cardiac episode so maybe they chose the fastest way to get him into the helicopter?? I have zero expertise in this area (either rescue or medical) so anything I say is a pure guess...especially compared to Cheng's knowledge. Obviously, the safety of the crew and others plays a big part. In any case, great work by the NYPD and Royal teams involved.

The NYPD utilizes the Bell 412 medium lift helicopter as their primary air sea rescue unit,

I don't claim to be an expert on the operation of the helicopter, if you look at the video

the helicopter appears to be tucked in behind the super structure of the ship, and it is in a

stationary hover during the hoisting of the passenger, they may have hovered behind the

super structure as a wind break.

Again I am by no means an expert this is just my opinion.

Mac

The NYPD utilizes the Bell 412 medium lift helicopter as their primary air sea rescue unit,

I don't claim to be an expert on the operation of the helicopter, if you look at the video

the helicopter appears to be tucked in behind the super structure of the ship, and it is in a

stationary hover during the hoisting of the passenger, they may have hovered behind the

super structure as a wind break.

Again I am by no means an expert this is just my opinion.

Mac

While the helicopter is stationary with respect to the ship, the ship is moving as can be seen in the video by the wake alongside. Ships will typically continue to move in order to minimize roll (when at sea), or to maximize steerage (while going slow in restricted waters). The way the NYPD helicopter was in a "moving" hover, allowed the pilot to move forward, and maintain a constant distance to the ship's superstructure, while the copilot watches the winch operation. Using the forward helideck typically requires the helicopter to hover facing towards the ship, which means moving the helicopter backwards to keep the constant distance to the ship while the ship moves forward. Again, the copilot watches the winch operation, but it is easier to move the helicopter in the same direction as the ship, while backing up (just like your car) requires "reversed" responses to keep a straight line.

The NYPD helicopter also has a smaller rotor circle than the USCG Jayhawk, so it can tuck in behind better than the larger USCG helicopter.