Royal vs Norwegian vs Celebrity

Hllb

The problem is that the OP came here asking for advice on which ship to take and had not researched Alaska at all. When people pointed out that they they have poor itineraries, they became defensive. Didn't they come here for advice. I happen to agree with those who wouldn't choose the Bliss or the Ovation. If they want a good ship -- go the Caribbean. If they want to see Alaska -- pick a good itinerary. I have yet to see a bored kid on an Alaskan cruise. They venture out beyond their comfort zones and put down the electronic equipment. Does this person worry about being bored camping with out all the bells and whistles? I would go back to the drawing board myself and be thankful someone pointed out to me that my first choices were not great.

HAHAHAHAHA. You think I didn't research AK at all? I never said that. I have done a lot of research and narrowed down choices to ones that I liked for various reasons. Again, just because I have different priorities than you may doesn't mean I didn't do any research. Anyone who knew me would laugh at that assumption.

Why do so many think there needs to be to research to enjoy a cruise......I don't get it......?

I love the element of surprise ..if more people were less prepared there would be less disappointment. After all you have allowed somene else to do the driving.......so have lost sooooo much control....lol

Just sayin'

Edited by land lover

HAHAHAHAHA. You think I didn't research AK at all? I never said that. I have done a lot of research and narrowed down choices to ones that I liked for various reasons. Again, just because I have different priorities than you may doesn't mean I didn't do any research. Anyone who knew me would laugh at that assumption.

I think you did minimal research and looked at ships. You listed Ovation as #1 and it goes to less ports than any other 7 night Alaskan cruise. You see 2 Alaskan ports. If that is your way of seeing Alaska?

I think you did minimal research and looked at ships. You listed Ovation as #1 and it goes to less ports than any other 7 night Alaskan cruise. You see 2 Alaskan ports. If that is your way of seeing Alaska?

No different from people saying they went to Russia when gng to St Petes..or India when they make a port stop in Mumbai.

I am not saying your point is not well taken or know what the OP thoughts are.....but there is always a percentage of people who only chose to dip their toe in, rather than get completely wet...when traveling.......

I’ve read that Glacier Bay is more crowded and you don’t get as close to the glacier. The fjords themselves for Tracy Arm or Endicott are very scenic and beautiful and you get closer to the glacier.

The biggest issue with going to Glacier Bay is that the better boat goes somewhere else. And by better, I mean the one with better activities for my teens. I know people say the boat doesn’t matter for Alaska, but it does for kids.

Glacier Bay is more crowded? Tracy Arm more scenic? Umm, I'm not sure where you read that, but my personal two cents would be the complete opposite. Tracy Arm has issues where ships often have to stay FAR away or divert completely. Glacier Bay is popular because it's the most beautiful, with Hubbard making an argument to be included. If you've got a tiny boat (which you're not looking at, then Tracy Arm can be good).

The reason people say boat doesn't matter for Alaska is because the location matters more than the ship. It's quite unlike most other cruise places. I honestly didn't know or care about Alaskan type scenery until I went there (as a teen). Alaskan cruises are very different than the typical Caribbean/Mexican tropical cruises. For the tropics, the ship can matter more. For Alaska, the ship matters much less (think more of it just as transportation and food, not entertainment). In the Caribbean and Mexico, I'd be perfectly content staying on the ship and then I'd care what onboard activities there are. For Alaska, the ports have very interesting sights and are MUCH more important. I'm NOT staying on board when in port. Even while sailing, the passing coastline is cool.

I'm a parent too, so I can see where you may be starting from. But, having sailed Alaska as a teen and as an adult, I also get why everyone thinks you didn't research as you seem to miss the entire point of Alaska (and how it's different from a Caribbean cruise) and your glacier descriptions have me wondering where you're doing your research as well.

When my kids were 12 and 16 we went to Alaska with RCL. They had a great time. There was plenty for them to do on the ship and we enjoyed the ports as well. They did not "hang out" with the other kids on board, but we had a lot to do together as a family. I would highly recommend it.

I'm also a fan of NCL and the "freestyle" concept, as both my husband and I have to dress nice for work and a week in comfy clothes is lovely.

I suggest you take a look at dailies for both ships and see which one fits best with the types of activities your family likes to do. If you've cruised before, you probably know what size ship you like. For us, it's always important. We really are not fans of large ships and will take a smaller, older ship over the newest and biggest.