Possible to book a Misty Fjords seaplane after docking in Ketchikan?

cherryharley

A flight over Misty Fjords is something I really want to do, but it's so expensive that I am apprehensive to book ahead in case the weather is, well misty. I know that if it's not unsafe pilots still fly, but I would not want to go unless it's a clear day. So is it possible to wait until we dock and then find a tour operator on my own? Both the Coral Princess and the Norwegian Pearl will be in port that day, May 25th.

When we traveled 2 years ago we got a bargain with Misty fjordsair.com Misty Fjords Air is Ketchikan, Alaska’s premiere Seaplane Company, providing on-demand charter service to Southeast Alaska and the first company to fly regular tours into the Misty Fjords National Monument. As industry leaders, our Seaplane Captains set the highest standard for passenger safety and old fashioned customer service. Misty Fjords Air has upgraded our aircraft fleet with cutting edge (Glass Cockpit) flight navigation technology and has held a perfect safety record since our inception in 1981 that's important because of a tragedy with another company in the past

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

A flight over Misty Fjords is something I really want to do, but it's so expensive that I am apprehensive to book ahead in case the weather is, well misty. I know that if it's not unsafe pilots still fly, but I would not want to go unless it's a clear day. So is it possible to wait until we dock and then find a tour operator on my own? Both the Coral Princess and the Norwegian Pearl will be in port that day, May 25th.

no experience booking at the port, but already booked a sea plane ahead of time.

Of course you know you would not be the only one thinking this:D so you might have some competition, from locals, people on land tours and coming off cruises.But then on a beautiful day there might be more pilots available.....I mean after all planes are like cars in Alaska.

But then the pricing might go up....

I m sailing in May also and I looked on line to see how many days of sunshine the ports we are stopping at on average have in May...if I remember correct it was 8 for the month, with some of those days just including an hour of sun....

We have seen many glaciers/fjords thru our travels..and seldom have we had a pristine day...that's why the vendors fly rain or shine.

You might want to email some vendors and see what they think....Good Luck..

BTW.....Booking directly with Princess like I did...I think we have until 12pm day after boarding...to cancel any plane, heli reservations. At least that way if forecasts don't look so promising I still can cancel and so could you if on Princess.

Edited by land lover

IMHO yes you can, but have phone numbers in hand of who you need to call and do it early. I found myself in Skagway a few years ago and were talking 100 miles crystal clear air. I had a couple of numbers I'd gotten off the internet in my travel folder so I called as the ship docked at 7AM. Snagged a front right seat next to the pilot. WOW! Flew from Skagway to the Pacific. The more seats you want, it will get harder.

framer

• 2 weeks later...

If it is any consolation, I was horrified to find it rainy and overcast when we arrived at the port for our Misty Fjords bear watching excursion. I feared our flight with Island Wings would be cancelled. Michelle, the owner and pilot, looked at me with incredulity and said, "This is a rain forest. If we never flew in the rain, we'd hardly ever get off the ground".

Sure enough, off we went and the trip was amazing.