Royal vs Norwegian vs Celebrity

Hllb

we are considering an Alaskan cruise in summer 2019. It'll be five of us, with kids ages 9, 14, and 15 at time of cruise. There are three I'm interested in and looking for help with the pro con lists. Prices are relatively comparable depending on cabin arrangements.

Ovation of Seas, Royal Caribbean; Seattle, inside passage, Juneau, Skagway, Endicott Arm and Dawes glacier, Victoria, Seattle

Bliss, Norwegian; Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Sawyer glacier, Skagway, Victoria, Seattle

Solstice, Celebrity; Vancouver, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm Fjord, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria, Seattle

So, any thoughts on ships, excursions, overall experience? If it weren't for the kids, Celebrity sounds great, but the other two ships are floating amusement parks (which I too would find fun).

For most people, Alaska is primarily about the ports and scenery. The itinerary is usually more important than the ship. I would research all of the main Alaska ports and find the things that interest you and your family most. Then find an itinerary that spends the most time in those ports.

I prefer a one-way itinerary from Vancouver to Seward / Whittier over a round-trip for several reasons:

1. Round trip cruises generally have less ports and time in ports than one-way trips.

2. Sailings from Vancouver sail the inside passage, which offers better scenery and calmer waters. Ships leaving and returning to Seattle usually sail outside of Victoria Island where seas can be rougher and there is little to see.

3. The one-way cruises give you an opportunity for more time in Alaska at your departure port. Kenai Fjords Tours in Seward are great. There are also some great tours in Whittier, if your ship arrives there (primarily Princess cruises).

4. I like the Northbound cruises for the feeling of sailing “to” Alaska. The scenery gets more impressive each day.

A final consideration is how important glacier viewing is for you. Each of the itineraries you listed only has one opportunity for seeing a glacier, and both Tracy Arm (Sawyer glacier) and Endicott Arm (Dawes glacier) are often missed due to ice in the Fjords. Hubbard Glacier is one option, but is sometimes missed for ice / fog. Glacier Bay is the best option and rarely missed. Princess and Holland America have the most sailings to Glacier Bay.

If you do stick with one of the options you listed, check to see if they have a small boat excursion offered at Tracy or Endicott Arm. It will get you much closer to the glaciers. You can also visit Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, but it is not as impressive to me as seeing one up close from the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the info. I know the RCI does inside Passage and I believe NCL does as well. I think I’ve eliminated Celebrity- it just wouldn’t be as good for the kids.

I debated between one way and round trip. With 5 of us, plane ticket cost is a factor and Seattle was easy. I also liked the newer ships for the kids and because you spend so much time at sea. Some things to think about though. I’ll definitely check on the small boat for The glaciers. It would be sad to not see the glacier.

Thanks for all the info. I know the RCI does inside Passage and I believe NCL does as well. I think I’ve eliminated Celebrity- it just wouldn’t be as good for the kids.

I debated between one way and round trip. With 5 of us, plane ticket cost is a factor and Seattle was easy. I also liked the newer ships for the kids and because you spend so much time at sea. Some things to think about though. I’ll definitely check on the small boat for The glaciers. It would be sad to not see the glacier.

You are in error with eliminating Celebrity for the reason you state- all cruises sail the "inside passage". And actually all 3 of these choices with- Seattle have the most open ocean sailing. You can not get to Juneau, Skagway, Endicott/Tracy Arm as example- without sailing the - inside passage.

I suggest looking far more at what you are doing in the ports and note port time differences.

All ships have open dining and buffets available.

You are in error with eliminating Celebrity for the reason you state

Because of the kids? I have three kids, two that are teenagers. There is just infinitely more stuff for them to do onboard Bliss or Ovation. The Celebrity ship really doesn't have many activities for them.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity can not go to Glacier Bay.

I would choose an itinerary with Glacier Bay for your first cruise to Alaska.

Curious as to why. I've done a bit of reading and they all seem to have positives and negatives. Have you been to both of these and preferred Glacier Bay?

Curious as to why. I've done a bit of reading and they all seem to have positives and negatives. Have you been to both of these and preferred Glacier Bay?

I have attempted Tracy Arm 4x and miss it. Truth is, the past several years, the large ships have missed it for the majority of the season. I have even been on small boats and have missed it.

Glacier Bay is pretty much guaranteed. It is also a National Park and Park rangers board the ship and do information/entertainment sessions.

I have also missed and seen Hubbard Glacier. Hubbard can frequently be missed also. I like to book itineraries with at least 2 glaciers in case one gets missed.

After you have gone to Alaska and missed your glacier, you will have wished you booked Glacier Bay as no one seems to miss it. Especially if you don't expect to return.

Endicott Arm is often substituted for Tracy Arm. Not nearly as gorgeous. Nothing is substituted for Hubbard glacier, you just get a sea day.

What negatives are there to Glacier Bay that you found? And what positives for Tracy Arm?

I can see an argument between Glacier Bay and Hubbard for a first timer, but Tracy Arm is just a distant third place. My personal opinion is that it's fairly well established that Glacier Bay is first choice for a first timer, with Hubbard second, and Tracy Arm a distant third. Hubbard has things going for it that there can be valid reasons for choosing it over Glacier Bay for a first timer, but generally the advise is to pick Glacier Bay first.

What negatives are there to Glacier Bay that you found? And what positives for Tracy Arm?

I can see an argument between Glacier Bay and Hubbard for a first timer, but Tracy Arm is just a distant third place. My personal opinion is that it's fairly well established that Glacier Bay is first choice for a first timer, with Hubbard second, and Tracy Arm a distant third. Hubbard has things going for it that there can be valid reasons for choosing it over Glacier Bay for a first timer, but generally the advise is to pick Glacier Bay first.

I’ve read that Glacier Bay is more crowded and you don’t get as close to the glacier. The fjords themselves for Tracy Arm or Endicott are very scenic and beautiful and you get closer to the glacier.

The biggest issue with going to Glacier Bay is that the better boat goes somewhere else. And by better, I mean the one with better activities for my teens. I know people say the boat doesn’t matter for Alaska, but it does for kids.

I’ve read that Glacier Bay is more crowded and you don’t get as close to the glacier. The fjords themselves for Tracy Arm or Endicott are very scenic and beautiful and you get closer to the glacier.

The biggest issue with going to Glacier Bay is that the better boat goes somewhere else. And by better, I mean the one with better activities for my teens. I know people say the boat doesn’t matter for Alaska, but it does for kids.

What do you mean more crowded. They only allow 2 cruise ships per day in Glacier Bay. I have never had problems viewing the glaciers.

I have gotten very close and got great views on Glacier Bay. I disagree about getting closer with Endicott (Dawes Glacier) and Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier). My experience (12 cruises in Alaska) is the opposite. There were times when most of the summer the past few years, ships did not get close to Hubbard or Tracy Arm at all (most of the time skipped it).

You would be surprised the kids program on other ships. Kids seem to like them also. You are ruling them out with out even trying them in order to have an inferior Alaska itinerary.

What do you mean more crowded. They only allow 2 cruise ships per day in Glacier Bay. I have never had problems viewing the glaciers.

I have gotten very close and got great views on Glacier Bay. I disagree about getting closer with Endicott (Dawes Glacier) and Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier). My experience (12 cruises in Alaska) is the opposite. There were times when most of the summer the past few years, ships did not get close to Hubbard or Tracy Arm at all (most of the time skipped it).

You would be surprised the kids program on other ships. Kids seem to like them also. You are ruling them out with out even trying them in order to have an inferior Alaska itinerary.

Glad to know people who make different choices than you are wrong. I don’t care about the kids programs, I care about the amenities on the boat.

Glad to know people who make different choices than you are wrong. I don’t care about the kids programs, I care about the amenities on the boat.

If you are going to Alaska, you would think you would care about the itinerary. I guess I am wrong. Go with an inferior itinerary. Maybe you should just pick a cheap cruise that goes to the Caribbean as it is the ship's amenities that mean the most, as you stated.

If you are going to Alaska, you would think you would care about the itinerary. I guess I am wrong. Go with an inferior itinerary. Maybe you should just pick a cheap cruise that goes to the Caribbean as it is the ship's amenities that mean the most, as you stated.

Most people seem to worry more about the ship than itinerary, for some reason. In the Caribbean, that is a factor, but for Alaska, it’s not as big of an issue. If they have never been to Alaska, they can pick the worst possible itinerary and still probably be happy, since they don’t know what they are missing.

Coral is right. You picked some crappy itineraries. You need to decide which is more important --- Alaska or the ship? Honestly --- if you pick the right shore excursions and don't cheap out on these -- the teens will really remember Alaska and it will rank as their most favorite vacation. Cheap out on it and it could be a disaster. I also would go with Glacier Bay. Some of the long timers on this board have good input and have been to Alaska many many times. You should listen to them if you are interested in seeing Alaska. Alaska is unlike the Caribbean -- it is what you do off the ship not activities on the ship. Save your money for that. Your boys are at a great age for the really fun excursions. My kids went dog mushing on a glacier, ice trekking, saw the most dangerous catch, canoeing to a glacier, etc. That is cooler than activities on the ship and something they won't get elsewhere.

Most people seem to worry more about the ship than itinerary, for some reason. In the Caribbean, that is a factor, but for Alaska, it’s not as big of an issue. If they have never been to Alaska, they can pick the worst possible itinerary and still probably be happy, since they don’t know what they are missing.

I have met some of these people. They get off the ship and don't do excursions and think Alaska is just full of shops and consider it a bust. They may do the tram in Juneau and maybe Mendenhall but not much more.

I personally dive into my next destination full force. I am going to a country I have never been this summer and am trying to learn as much as possible about what I want to do and trying to pick the right excursions and budget for them as I may never go back to this area.

For most Alaska is a one time excursion. It is very different than the Caribbean as the ship is not the destination like in the Caribbean.

I do appreciate the input, and I should know better than to expect people on the internet not to be snarky. We are doing a "cheap Caribbean cruise" this year. It'll be our first, over Christmas. My kids (two boys and a girl) are fairly seasoned travelers as we travel to Korea every few years (they were born there). They like to do a lot of non-kid type things (like museums) but with AK, you do spend a larger amount of time on the ship. While I may be content to sit and watch the scenery go by, I'm not sure the kids will be so interested in that after the first few hours of doing it. The RCI ship has such awesome things in it: rock climbing, sky diving, surfing, bumper cars, roller skates. These are all things both the kids and the adults would enjoy. I'm not looking for activities to send my kids to, I'm looking for things to do together. It's a family vacation and I prefer to spend it as a family. And, we have a 7 year old too (he'll be 9 by the time we cruise to AK) and I wouldn't send him off with his older siblings anyway, at least not for very long.

So, here is some more information: one way cruises, while having better itineraries, and the option of land tours, are more expensive due to flight costs. Couple that with the fact that my husband has very limited vacation time (meaning we wouldn't really be able to stay a few extra days in AK before or after the cruise) and they don't make much sense. You can get most of the same experiences on a round trip, strictly speaking of ports. The other issue is that many of those boats are quite old and outdated. This is why I've chosen a round trip cruise.

Of the round trip cruises, I have a need for a somewhat affordable option for 5. (cabin costs in the $7K-$8500 range). I'd prefer one cabin, but could do 2 as long as they were next to each other (for our Caribbean cruise, we have a balcony cabin with an interior cabin directly across from it). I want a modern ship with lots of activities for teens and kids (RCI has the market cornered here, for sure). I want 'good' food, but it doesn't have to be great and we likely won't eat more than 1 meal at a specialty restaurant.

I picked these cruises because of the ships and the fact that they were round trips. Oddly, it seems the NCL one has a different itinerary now, or I mistakenly wrote it out. It does cruise Glacier Bay. Is that the main objection everyone has to the itineraries? Was that the only one? I still prefer the RCI boat, but if NCL is going to Glacier Bay, and it's still a nice boat, that may be better.

I do appreciate the input, and I should know better than to expect people on the internet not to be snarky.

The intent was not to be snarky. It was to tell you to research Alaska first and then pick a ship. Not the other way around. You need to look at the ports and what is of interest and then find a ship that hits those ports. You would be surprised some of the older ships get great reviews. The best ships sailing in Alaska have no bumper cars, are small and get the best experiences for all ages (Un-Cruise). On Un-Cruise, you kayak to Glacier Bay. These are pretty $$$$ but the intent is to say that Alaska isn't about the ship.

The one ways are usually cheaper but air is more. For me, it balances it out. Better itineraries.

I would suggest getting some Alaska books and look at Alaska first. Not the ships first. Then find a ship that goes to where you are interested. Also look at excursions. They are expensive. It is not like the Caribbean. If you are going to do it, plan for the excursions. Alaska by Cruiseship is a good book to start with.

You picked itineraries that see the least of Alaska. If you goal is to go to Alaska, take advantage of being there.

I do appreciate the input, and I should know better than to expect people on the internet not to be snarky. We are doing a "cheap Caribbean cruise" this year. It'll be our first, over Christmas. My kids (two boys and a girl) are fairly seasoned travelers as we travel to Korea every few years (they were born there). They like to do a lot of non-kid type things (like museums) but with AK, you do spend a larger amount of time on the ship. While I may be content to sit and watch the scenery go by, I'm not sure the kids will be so interested in that after the first few hours of doing it. The RCI ship has such awesome things in it: rock climbing, sky diving, surfing, bumper cars, roller skates. These are all things both the kids and the adults would enjoy. I'm not looking for activities to send my kids to, I'm looking for things to do together. It's a family vacation and I prefer to spend it as a family. And, we have a 7 year old too (he'll be 9 by the time we cruise to AK) and I wouldn't send him off with his older siblings anyway, at least not for very long.

So, here is some more information: one way cruises, while having better itineraries, and the option of land tours, are more expensive due to flight costs. Couple that with the fact that my husband has very limited vacation time (meaning we wouldn't really be able to stay a few extra days in AK before or after the cruise) and they don't make much sense. You can get most of the same experiences on a round trip, strictly speaking of ports. The other issue is that many of those boats are quite old and outdated. This is why I've chosen a round trip cruise.

Of the round trip cruises, I have a need for a somewhat affordable option for 5. (cabin costs in the $7K-$8500 range). I'd prefer one cabin, but could do 2 as long as they were next to each other (for our Caribbean cruise, we have a balcony cabin with an interior cabin directly across from it). I want a modern ship with lots of activities for teens and kids (RCI has the market cornered here, for sure). I want 'good' food, but it doesn't have to be great and we likely won't eat more than 1 meal at a specialty restaurant.

I picked these cruises because of the ships and the fact that they were round trips. Oddly, it seems the NCL one has a different itinerary now, or I mistakenly wrote it out. It does cruise Glacier Bay. Is that the main objection everyone has to the itineraries? Was that the only one? I still prefer the RCI boat, but if NCL is going to Glacier Bay, and it's still a nice boat, that may be better.

You know what works next for your family. I personally would not want to travel with grumpy kids, so if you know your kids will be bored or grumpy on a ship without amenities, then the ship might be paramount to a happy family memory. It’s ok to do what’s best for your family.

The people on these boards are helpful, but many can be fairly dogmatic with their beliefs that this or that is “best.” They are not trying to be mean. They are trying to lay out all the information. Many have been numerous times and have seen passengers upset at spending so much for the trip but not really getting what they thought they’d get. That’s why it’s important to research.

Although there is a lot of transit time on Alaska cruise, there really isn’t much sea time. The trips are very port intensive. I’ve read several trip reports where people were so busy in port that they tended to go to bed early and rest when on the ship (and this is even from those with kids). If you haven’t, I know there are some excellent trip reviews at the top of the board.

Another thought: since you have a fairly large group, I imagine that budget is a factor. The excursions can be very pricy per person. You may get better pricing if you rent a car for the day and go your own way or if you book a private tour for the group.

Your trip is for you and your family. Enjoy it! :)

One thing that has not been mentioned is in Alaska, weather can turn on a dime. It is very possible that the weather will not permit a lot of the (outdoor) onboard activities on either of the newer mega ships. Just something to consider. Might be worth setting kids expectations before they board, so they aren't disappointed if they can't try all of the stated activities

One thing that has not been mentioned is in Alaska, weather can turn on a dime. It is very possible that the weather will not permit a lot of the (outdoor) onboard activities on either of the newer mega ships. Just something to consider. Might be worth setting kids expectations before they board, so they aren't disappointed if they can't try all of the stated activities

That's why the RCI ship is so attractive. There is a covered pool and the Sea Plex is all indoors. The info on indoor stuff on the Bliss I've found hard to come by or conflicting among various sites.

I was thinking this when reading.......Glad you brought this up......Weather , weather, weather...that is what it comes down to on any vacation......

OP I am right with you when it comes to the ease of gng out of Seattle....wasn't available when I went on my first and only cruise to Alaska on Princess 20 years ago.......we went Anchorage to Vancouver.

Unfortunately we had lousy weather,rained everyday except one never saw blue sky in July....... but still did a sea plane, helicopter(had to return early due to white out conditions)saw bears shaking salmon..went to glacier bay, college ford and had a nice time but were not impressed...it is all relative, isn't it...?

So OP, with kids certainly, go for the ship.....and plan your itinerary as you see fit.

If a child gets sick you might be spending more time on the ship then you think.

The one poster who said don't cheap out...I had to laugh, on our cruise 20 years ago very few people took excursions..not a kid on our ship, back then there was not even an excursion desk on the ship..they used the dining room on Dawn Princess. For our Seaplane flight/ bear excursion there were only 10 spots available.....and yes the cost for this excursion was more than it is today and helicopter flights comparable.....competition does help...we didn't cheap out but unfortunately we had crappy weather....There are so many options now...I can see why people get into it.....but sometimes tooo much can lead to disappointment.....

I am going to Alaska this year with one of my adult children his treat and his only availability in May, I week. I hear that is the driest month so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Doing a RT out of SEA...for ease...we are each flying from 2 different locations. We are total beach people divers.snorkelers.....so I was very excited when I saw a snorkeling trip in K.

We are doing the seaplane etc...and Glacier Bay because I remember from long ago it was "the Place" so I looked at no other itineraries.

And gng out of Seattle we are actually paying a few hundred more a person for our cruise , vs a oneway.

Weather can make or break a trip........from reading the boards recently Bliss seems like a good choice for families......Ovation,what can I say I love RCI ships...our kids have so many fond memories...and so do I.

Pick out a fun ship and do one great excursion that can be memory enough for your kids...don't get carried away like we did with ours where they had so many experiences they lost interest in traveling with us.....Enjoy

When your kids get older consider the Galapagos.

Edited by land lover

You know what works next for your family. I personally would not want to travel with grumpy kids, so if you know your kids will be bored or grumpy on a ship without amenities, then the ship might be paramount to a happy family memory. It’s ok to do what’s best for your family.

The problem is that the OP came here asking for advice on which ship to take and had not researched Alaska at all. When people pointed out that they they have poor itineraries, they became defensive. Didn't they come here for advice. I happen to agree with those who wouldn't choose the Bliss or the Ovation. If they want a good ship -- go the Caribbean. If they want to see Alaska -- pick a good itinerary. I have yet to see a bored kid on an Alaskan cruise. They venture out beyond their comfort zones and put down the electronic equipment. Does this person worry about being bored camping with out all the bells and whistles? I would go back to the drawing board myself and be thankful someone pointed out to me that my first choices were not great.