Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:30 AM.
Highland Park, IL USA
82 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I will be cruising on the Celebrity Eclipse in February and have a question about getting texts on an IPAD. I have an Iphone which I plan to turn off while on board and I will use an IPAD to access the internet using the ship's Wifi, which of course I have to pay for. At home, while on Wifi, my IPAD and my Iphone get all of my texts, (and the IPAD gets the texts if the Iphone is turned off). My question is: will I get texts on my IPAD while on board and, if yes, is there any additional charge for receiving or sending texts from my IPAD using the ship's Wifi?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tom and Bev
Florida
20,393 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
I wish it could work ..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We've been on
Carnival: 27 voyages 184 days
Celebrity: 3 voyages 24 days
Holland: 30 voyages 710 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 85 Cruises 1167 days

NOT YET SAILED
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/18 - 113 days
Rotterdam Boston to Rotter 7/18 - 19 days
Prinsendam Amster to FTL 8/18 96 days
Zaandam Antarctic 12/18 - 22 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/19 113 days
Nieuw Statadam 8/19 52 days
Prinsendam 10/19 60 days
17,865 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by ttax
I will be cruising on the Celebrity Eclipse in February and have a question about getting texts on an IPAD. I have an Iphone which I plan to turn off while on board and I will use an IPAD to access the internet using the ship's Wifi, which of course I have to pay for. At home, while on Wifi, my IPAD and my Iphone get all of my texts, (and the IPAD gets the texts if the Iphone is turned off). My question is: will I get texts on my IPAD while on board and, if yes, is there any additional charge for receiving or sending texts from my IPAD using the ship's Wifi?

Yes you will get your texts, and there is no additional charge other than what you are paying for Internet usage.
11 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
What about multiple iPhones on the same account? We will be on Carnival this spring. If we buy wifi for one, and everyone is on the same iMessage, 1) Will it work? 2) Do we get charged for 1 or 4?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Departing March 26, Carnival Liberty
264 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Though you will have to be connected to the wifi all the time to get texts when they are sent unless you're talking about just receiving texts at times when you connect. I've read about people not knowing they actually have to disconnect from the wifi to stop using their minutes. Just hitting the little button to put your ipad to sleep won't necessarily disconnect it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April 2018 Disney Wonder - Mexican Riviera
July 2017 Explorer of the Seas - 7 night Alaska
March 2016 Norwegian Jewel - 7 night Mexican Riviera
May 2014 Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean
April 2013 Disney Fantasy - 7 night Eastern Caribbean
March 2006 Disney Magic - 7 night Eastern Caribbean
United States
16 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by IvyChat
What about multiple iPhones on the same account? We will be on Carnival this spring. If we buy wifi for one, and everyone is on the same iMessage, 1) Will it work? 2) Do we get charged for 1 or 4?
Did you ever get an answer? I was wondering this same question.
Raleigh NC
24,719 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
i believe you will find only one device at a time can be hooked up. Its been that way on all lines we have sailed. Multiple devices need multiple accounts OR have one device use the wifi at a time. In doing the later, which ever device is hooked up will be able to receive and send texts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kirk

Future Cruises

HAL Prinsendam 12-18-2017 - Christmas on the Elegant Explorer
HAL Konningsdam 3-28-2018 - A trip across the pond
HAL Zaandam 6-4-2018 - Alaska bound
HAL Maasdam 7-14-2018 - New England and Canada
HAL Prinsendam 8-5-2018 - Five months on the Elegant Explorer
HAL Zaandam 12-6-18 Back to the frozen south
HAL Amsterdam 1-22-2019 - Grand World Voyage
Massachusetts
1,516 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
The WiFi connection on the ship is based on the MAC address of the device. So if you purchase a single device package, that device can communicate.

The connection level is far below iMessage or anything like that. It is basically connecting that device to the internet. Does not matter if the device is an iPhone, Windows laptop, Mac, or Android Tablet. Each device counts as a single connection to the cruise line's internet connectivity.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCI Upgrade history 0 for 12. What's an upgrade??? Perhaps the next one will be the magic one?
Massachusetts
1,516 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
As an aside, if you have AT&T, you can receive texts via cellular connection for free. But the issue is that to send them costs 50 cents. iMessage messages are not texts, but instead direct to the phone from the other phone, and do not use cellular data at all.

So there is really no way to cheat the system because if you only have a single device connected at a time, and receive a message, to respond to it, you have to connect, but you can only send via cellular, not Wifi Text messages.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCI Upgrade history 0 for 12. What's an upgrade??? Perhaps the next one will be the magic one?
17,865 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
You only get messages when you are online, and you have to log in each time, so it is really not effective for the use you are describing. Each phone would have to buy an Internet plan.

Short answer it won't work like texting on land.
Texas
183 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Get a google voice number for texting. You can text from your browser. Everyone can have a different voice number and all texts can still be forwarded to one email. You can read your texts via email or browser
United States
1,339 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by Mary229
Get a google voice number for texting. You can text from your browser. Everyone can have a different voice number and all texts can still be forwarded to one email. You can read your texts via email or browser
You still need a internet package for each phone or tablet.