Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:28 AM.
New York City
1,255 Posts
Joined May 2008
obviously they cant be bluetooth. I need a nice study small headphone for a cruisr. No buds

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PAM FROM NYC

Holland America Zuiderdam Panama Canal Partial December 2017 - Half Moon Cay, Bahamas; Cartagena, Colombia; Partial Panama Canal Transit; Colon, Panama; Limon, Costa Rica; Aruba; Curacao
Carnival Vista TA October 2016 - Barcelona, Spain; Gibraltar; Ponta Delgada, Azores; Bermuda; NYC
RCCL Independence of the Seas October 2015 - Port Everglades, Florida; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Maarten, St. Kitts
Carnival Ecstasy October 2014 Styx Live - Miami, Florida; Key West, Florida; Cozumel, Mexico
Carnival Splendor January 2014 GOLD VIFP cruise - NYC; Port Canaveral, Florida; Nassau, Bahamas; Freeport, Bahamas
Bahamas Celebration January 2013 - Palm Beach, Florida; Freeport, Bahamas
Carnival Victory July 2008 - NYC; Saint John, New Brunswick
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas August 2006 - Port Everglades, Florida; Cozumel, Mexico; CocoCay, Bahamas (Original itinerary: Key West, Florida; Cozumel, Mexico; Belize City, Belize. Diverted due to Hurricane Ernesto)
Carnival Legend August 2004 - NYC; Port Canaveral, Florida; Nassau, Bahamas; Freeport, Bahamas (Original itinerary: San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Thomas, USVI; Tortola, BVI. Diverted due to Hurricane Frances)
Carnival Triumph July 2002 - NYC; Halifax, Nova Scotia
MS Palm Beach Princess February 1998 - Palm Beach, Florida; Freeport, Bahamas
Majesty Cruise Line Royal Majesty August 1992 - NYC; Nowhere
Carnival Fantasy December 1991 - Miami, Florida; Nassau, Bahamas
Carnival Holiday December 1989 - Miami, Florida; Cozumel, Mexico; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman
Britanis Chandris 1984 First FUN PARTY Cruise
New York City
1,255 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by zqvol
Why can't they be Bluetooth?

wifi costs on HAL

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PAM FROM NYC

Holland America Zuiderdam Panama Canal Partial December 2017 - Half Moon Cay, Bahamas; Cartagena, Colombia; Partial Panama Canal Transit; Colon, Panama; Limon, Costa Rica; Aruba; Curacao
Carnival Vista TA October 2016 - Barcelona, Spain; Gibraltar; Ponta Delgada, Azores; Bermuda; NYC
RCCL Independence of the Seas October 2015 - Port Everglades, Florida; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Maarten, St. Kitts
Carnival Ecstasy October 2014 Styx Live - Miami, Florida; Key West, Florida; Cozumel, Mexico
Carnival Splendor January 2014 GOLD VIFP cruise - NYC; Port Canaveral, Florida; Nassau, Bahamas; Freeport, Bahamas
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas August 2006 - Port Everglades, Florida; Cozumel, Mexico; CocoCay, Bahamas (Original itinerary: Key West, Florida; Cozumel, Mexico; Belize City, Belize. Diverted due to Hurricane Ernesto)
Carnival Legend August 2004 - NYC; Port Canaveral, Florida; Nassau, Bahamas; Freeport, Bahamas (Original itinerary: San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Thomas, USVI; Tortola, BVI. Diverted due to Hurricane Frances)
Carnival Holiday December 1989 - Miami, Florida; Cozumel, Mexico; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman
Georgia
9,118 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bluetooth headphones are peer-to-peer: They involve only the headphones and the audio device. WiFi is unnecessary. Having said that, I'm not a fan of Bluetooth headphones. Unfortunately, I can only provide recommendations about what not to buy, not being happy with either of the headphones we've purchased.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming: 6/30/2018 ms Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) [Roll Call]
“Those who do not know satisfaction, even when living in a heavenly palace, are still not satisfied. Those who do not know satisfaction, even if rich, are poor. People who know satisfaction, even if poor, are rich.” ― Gautama Buddha
17,890 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
As mentioned above Bluetooth does not use or require wifi. I have both wired and wifi headphones and prefer the wifi, but be prepare to get what you pay for, if you want to go cheap that is what you will end up with. The best headphones that I have, as opposed to ear buds are from Bose.
New York City
1,255 Posts
Joined May 2008
I didn't realize that. DH uses very good WiFi headphones all the time. But still needs a pair of plug ins for planes (I don't believe it would work on JetBlue TV)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PAM FROM NYC

North Texas
795 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
I love my noise cancelling Bose headphones! They make several types. Pricey, but they work very well in an airplane, bus, car, or cruise ship - really anywhere. And you do not have to use the noise cancelling feature.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pending Cruises
2018 - Australia/New Zealand: Celebrity Solstice
2018 - Cottages, Coves, and Coasts: Oceania Insignia
Big Apple
6,854 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by pamrose228
... I need a nice study small headphone for a cruisr. ... Sent from my iPhone using Forums
What is your budget & what are your requirements ?

I travel & use Sennheiser over-the-ear and ear-buds, also has a Sony noise cancelling headset (with an upgraded ear pad, made a world of difference in comfort ... bulkier than the former, only power on while in flight mode to smooth out engine/cabin noise) - without going the Bose route (love its cube 5 speakers subwoofer home system)

Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...9%3ASennheiser

Heard of Grado - design/made in Brooklyn, NY - USA, serious stuff - the entry one is $100, there's a new behind the ear @ $50 - http://www.4ourears.net/SR80_p/4e-sr80e.htm
2,161 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Bose is slightly overrated except in the area of noise-cancelling.

Sennheiser is a good basic consumer brand (OP seems to want on-ear headphones?).

I use expensive on-air headphones (Beyerdynamic, AKG, and some Sennheisers) when I'm in a serious music mode, but I've been surprised by the quality of the Apple AirPods in a pinch. (I don't claim to be an audiophile.)

On the other end of the spectrum, I just bought some $9 earbuds on Amazon that are supposed to provide good isolation (for flying). The AirPods have no isolation at all.
Toronto, Canada
3,756 Posts
Joined May 2006
obviously they cant be bluetooth. I need a nice study small headphone for a cruisr. No buds

Bluetooth is a wireless protocol distinct from WiFi. However they do overlap some communication frequencies. But the overlap tends not to be a problem except in signal saturated environments.

The unknowns are how the headphones will be used, and what device will be attached.
New York City
1,255 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by broberts
Bluetooth is a wireless protocol distinct from WiFi. However they do overlap some communication frequencies. But the overlap tends not to be a problem except in signal saturated environments.

The unknowns are how the headphones will be used, and what device will be attached.

they will be used basically on the ship to listen to donloaded music on an iphone

Found a set of rbx wireless bluetooth that wrap around the head. He really feels comfy in them and sound is great.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PAM FROM NYC

Toronto, Canada
3,756 Posts
Joined May 2006
they will be used basically on the ship to listen to donloaded music on an iphone

Found a set of rbx wireless bluetooth that wrap around the head. He really feels comfy in them and sound is great.

Excellent. Sounds like you are set.
United States
1,345 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Another for Bose Quiet Comfort. Noise canceling is GREAT on airline trips, and can be nice in other areas. Realize, the technology will noise cancel constant noise (like wind or engine noise) but not thinks like conversations. The over the ear design does provide blocking of some other noise.

They are both Bluetooth and wired. You can Bluetooth from your mobile device or use the included connection wire for wired to either your mobile device or something like the aircraft entertainment.

But sit down before you price them, as they are not cheap.

But for those of us who travel a lot by air, they are WELL worth it.
27 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by zqvol
As mentioned above Bluetooth does not use or require wifi. I have both wired and wifi headphones and prefer the wifi, but be prepare to get what you pay for, if you want to go cheap that is what you will end up with. The best headphones that I have, as opposed to ear buds are from Bose.

I used my Bluetooth headphones my last cruise but had to take my phone off airplane mode. I was afraid of hidden charges as text or voicemail could be received. Is there any chance of that of being charged for that?

Toronto, Canada
3,756 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by kswill
I used my Bluetooth headphones my last cruise but had to take my phone off airplane mode. I was afraid of hidden charges as text or voicemail could be received. Is there any chance of that of being charged for that?

Once in airplane mode, you should be able to enable Bluetooth. Both Bluetooth and WiFi can be enabled after a phone is put in airplane mode. When flying, one should verify that the airline permits Bluetooth and/or WiFi before enabling them.
United States
1,345 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
On an iPhone, once you turn on Airplane mode, the next two setting below that are Wifi and Bluetooth. You can enable one or both of them without activating the cellular and cellular data.