WiFi Calling on a European (Danube) River Cruise ship?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:40 PM.
TN
12,274 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
I have used Verizon WiFi Calling before, when in Europe - off ship, but not while sailing in the ocean. We will be taking our first River Cruise next week with AMA. Wondering if I could use my Verizon WiFi Calling on the smaller ship, while cruising on the river? We will have unlimited WiFi. Or would I still need to purchase the International $10 a day package (charged only if turned on that day)?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UPCOMING:
Celebrity Solstice - February 3, 2018 - LA, Australia/New Zealand
Celebrity Eclipse - May 10, 2018 - Scotland, Ireland/Iceland
Celebrity Edge - December 16, 2018 - Inaugural Cruise
United States
1,345 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Ask Verizon.

I am on T-mobile, and I can use wifi calling anywhere, even countries not on their international roaming list. I pay 20 cents per minute for any international calls. Cell (in 140+ countries in their program) or wifi.
TN
12,274 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
Thank you!

WiFi Calling through Verizon is free to use as long as there is a WiFi signal. So, I think I answered my own question. But I was hoping to hear from someone that used their phone while actually cruising.

I know I can use my iPad when I connect to Internet. Likewise, I can send free iMessages on the internet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UPCOMING:
Celebrity Solstice - February 3, 2018 - LA, Australia/New Zealand
Celebrity Eclipse - May 10, 2018 - Scotland, Ireland/Iceland
Celebrity Edge - December 16, 2018 - Inaugural Cruise
SF Bay area
18 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
You should be able to use it, but it could be that the cruise line blocks multimedia streaming, video conferencing, and VoIP calling to prevent any one party from monopolizing scarce bandwidth that is presumably limited on ships. It's very easy to do as it is very basic firewall technology. That being said, voice compression codecs can get full bandwidth voice content down to 32 kbps, and less in some cases. This should be too much of a concern to any ISP. You obviously have an iPhone given you sue iMessage. An alternative to using your Verizon calling services is to use FaceTime. When you launch the app you can select to initiate either a video or audio-only call. I use the audio-only calling feature of FaceTime daily to call family in Ontario from California. It encodes the voice using AAC-ELD, which provides life-like call quality at very low bit rates and imperceptible delay. Obviously the other party must also have an Apple product for this to work. Please report back on your findings as I'm also interested in doing a European river cruise at some point in the future.