Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:32 PM.
Hampshire , UK
83 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
If you visit my infoblog there is info about RCL wifi costs and how to get Free Wifi in Ports

Www.mednavigator.wordpress.com
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
David (and Helen) From Basingstoke (Donut City)in Hampshire, United Kingdom, a new town where every coffee cup stain on the planners map became a roundabout.
Massachusetts
1,516 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
I am on the Allure, and there is no way to communicate directly between devices even if you purchase a plan for each one. They block all interdevice communications at all times.

So any service that relies on being attached to WiFi to communicate directly between devices will not work.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCI Upgrade history 0 for 12. What's an upgrade??? Perhaps the next one will be the magic one?
Austin, TX
51 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by Orlando Dave
I was able to perform the previously stated message that I posted on the carnival breeze that I was on several weeks ago. In a nutshell, I had openfire, an xmpp server, on my laptop in the cabin always running and connected to their wifi, and xabber, an xmpp client, on my wife and I's phone that connected to the server on the laptop by specifying the ip address that my laptop was using. The only draw back was that when I was in an area of the ship that I was never in before I had to manually connect my phone to the wifi, but after the first time it would automaticly connect.
Does anyone know if you can do something like this on an iphone? I will be cruising with princess and want to try this out
United States
1 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
On the Princess Ruby over the new year, I tested and they appear to have AP isolation turned on for their access points; I couldn't ping one phone from another.

As someone mentioned, ad-hoc would probably work, but the range is no good. I was trying to use the ship's wi-fi to get messages from one point on the ship to another without buying Internet access. Hopefully this is something that the cruise lines will enable, since it wouldn't cost them much of anything; they could even sell some advertising on a "ship to ship" communication application!
United States
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
So FYI, for anyone who might have been following this, we took our cruise on the Reflection and I was able to confirm that they don't have any restrictions on inter-client communication even if you haven't logged in and started paying for internet. Given how easy these restrictions are to set up, I can only assume (and hope) it's a conscious decision on Celebrity's part to allow guests to use the internal WiFi network if they so choose.

In short, I was able to set up OpenFire, a free IM server, on a computer that I connected to WiFi and left running in my stateroom. We installed compatible clients on our phones and connected to WiFi. It's important to note that we never went to any webpages to sign in, we simply connected to the open network and never did anything further. The phones were able to roam throughout the ship and we were able to communicate with no headaches.

I thought I'd pass this along to help everyone else. Hopefully Celebrity doesn't see this as a reason to lock things down, since it's costing them nothing and using little to no bandwidth. It was an immense help to us to be able to do this on a large ship like the Reflection and never worry about wasting time finding one another.

Originally posted by montesn
This might be out of the realm of common knowledge, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I know that most of the ship is blanketed with WiFi and that you can use that connection to access the internet on a pay-per-minute plan. My question is, does Celebrity limit clients who are connected to the access points from talking to one another?

The reason I ask is that we've got a large group going on a cruise next year, most of whom work in IT. Assuming the WiFi network permits internal communication, we can use our cell phones to communicate over the network peer to peer without needing internet or actual cellular coverage.
Canada, eh?
88 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
This is interesting! I'm glad it worked out for you.

However, I suspect that if their IT staff knew what you were doing, they would want to shut you down. Why? Because if different customers' computers can talk to each other over the network, that could be a liability for them. In your case you wanted your phones and computers to talk to each other. But what if someone unauthorized was trying to access your phone network, or your file shares, or managed to plant malware on your devices?

There is a reason why most hotels, restaurants, etc. enable the client isolation mode on their routers...
United States
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by GreyingJay
This is interesting! I'm glad it worked out for you.

However, I suspect that if their IT staff knew what you were doing, they would want to shut you down. Why? Because if different customers' computers can talk to each other over the network, that could be a liability for them. In your case you wanted your phones and computers to talk to each other. But what if someone unauthorized was trying to access your phone network, or your file shares, or managed to plant malware on your devices?

There is a reason why most hotels, restaurants, etc. enable the client isolation mode on their routers...
Those are legitimate concerns, and they only reinforce the point that Celebrity should think about setting up their own system for either calling or texting while on the ship. I know Disney has been running a pilot program with VoIP phones on their ships. Hopefully Celebrity will continue to innovate and keep up with the curve on this one.
7 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
I've not had much success with P2P stuff while on board any ship.

I have noticed this product from the company that provides the internet access on most cruise lines:

http://www.mtnsat.com/mtn-news/deliv...-maritime-crew

I've downloaded the app, but can't get it to like the user-name and password...

Here's the site where you sign up... Again, I've not been able to get it to work. App does not like my user-name and password for some reason...

https://www.connectatsea.com/oceanph...ile/login.aspx
Orlando, Florida
95 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by JimHayes
Dave...I'm curious if you had to pay to have your laptop/server connected to the wi-fi system. Also...did you happen to hear from anyone else using the Carnival Fun Phone App being tested on the Breeze? Or have any idea how much they were charging to use the app?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app
I did not have to pay to connect to their wifi. Anyone can connect to their wifi for free. Some people may confuse connecting to the wifi and connecting to the internet as the same, but it is not. After connecting to their wifi you will get a screen asking for payment information if you try to go to most websites. Websites such as carnival.com are free, and maybe some others. I've never heard of the carnvial fun phone app.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Vista, May 2017
Carnival Fantasy, June 2016
RC Oasis Of The Seas, May 2016
Carnival Sensation, Sept 2015
Carnival Conquest, May 2015
Carnival Liberty, June 2014
Carnival Breeze, Jan 2014
Carnival Breeze, May 2013
Carnival Freedom, Apr 2012
Carnival Sensation, Sept 2011
Carnival Freedom, May 2011
Carnival Dream, Apr 2010
Carnival Glory, Oct 2008
Carnival Miracle, Oct 2007
Carnival Legend, Apr 2006
Carnival Victory, May 2005
Carnival Triumph, Sept 2004
Carnival Sensation, Aug 2003
Orlando, Florida
95 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by ehfl
Best bet might be to set up your own ad hoc network, rather than using the ship's wifi.
the only problem with that is that if your bring your own router, then the signal will not be strong enough for the whole ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Vista, May 2017
Carnival Fantasy, June 2016
RC Oasis Of The Seas, May 2016
Carnival Sensation, Sept 2015
Carnival Conquest, May 2015
Carnival Liberty, June 2014
Carnival Breeze, Jan 2014
Carnival Breeze, May 2013
Carnival Freedom, Apr 2012
Carnival Sensation, Sept 2011
Carnival Freedom, May 2011
Carnival Dream, Apr 2010
Carnival Glory, Oct 2008
Carnival Miracle, Oct 2007
Carnival Legend, Apr 2006
Carnival Victory, May 2005
Carnival Triumph, Sept 2004
Carnival Sensation, Aug 2003
Orlando
2 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
I've had the same question over a few different cruises and considered doing the same. One idea is to use a Raspberry Pi and install the chat server on that. More portable.

Has anyone tried using a Jabber-compatible chat server?

Carnival Splendor - March 2016
Carnival Sunshine - December 2015
Carnival Conquest - March 2015
Island Princess - October 2014
Carnival Miracle - March 2014
Carnival Miracle - March 2012
Norwegian Pearl - March 2011
Majesty of the Seas - April 2010
Disney Wonder - August 2009
Disney Magic - April 2009
Carnival Victory - November 2007
Carnival Victory - November 2006
Celebrity Century - October 2001
Carnival Paradise - November 2000
Carnival Sensation - October 1997
6,250 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Since you have a large group, you could each bring a router, and probably cover a good portion of the ship with your own network.
Orlando
2 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
By putting the chat server on the ship wifi network, I don't think a router would be necessary. For instance, on the Carnival Sunshine it looks like all clients are in the same Class C network.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Splendor - March 2017
Carnival Splendor - March 2016
Carnival Sunshine - December 2015
Carnival Conquest - March 2015
Island Princess - October 2014
Carnival Miracle - March 2014
Carnival Miracle - March 2012

Norwegian Pearl - March 2011
Majesty of the Seas - April 2010
Disney Wonder - August 2009
Disney Magic - April 2009

Carnival Victory - November 2007
Carnival Victory - November 2006

Celebrity Century - October 2001
Carnival Paradise - November 2000
Carnival Sensation - October 1997
Memphis
211 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Any one have success setting this up on rcl?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Leeward May 1998
Carnival MS Holiday January 2007 Cabin U99
Carnival Fantasy January 2009 Cabin U101 (ES PEN4)
Carnival Triumph January 2011 Cabin 8278 (4G IST4)
Carnival Elation October 2012 Cabin E44 (4D ISTW)
Carnival Dream December 2015 Cabin 9373 (4H)
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas 2018 Cabin Deck 10 (K)