Questions as we're Just Starting research on Panama Canal

rgmacm

Since I'm JUST STARTING research on a Panama Canal cruise, I'm struggling to even put together 'decent' questions. but I'll try.....

A Little Bit About Us: We just returned from a PCL one way NB cruise to Alaska. Our FAVORITE part about that cruise (other than 'Alaska') was the Naturalist on board... We went to her lectures...met her on deck to spot wildlife...read Alaska Cruise Companion cover to cover. This is 'who' we are.... While we don't necessarily 'mind' the cruise director directed activities on a Caribbean cruise, when it comes to someplace like Alaska....or Panama Canal, we're interested in learning...seeing...listening...not so much into dance parties, game shows, trivia...etc...

I'm looking at Jan or Feb 2019...could probably manage a 14-16 day...but 11-12 day would be less 'stressful' with work schedules...

Questions:

1. What cruise line did you take...and WHY??? That 'why' part is a huge factor.... I don't typically like to ask ppl to tell me what to do...(no one likes to answer that question either...haha) I ask them to tell me what THEY did....and WHY they did it. I find that information SO helpful as I try to make decisions that are best for us... Make sense??? :confused:
  2. We're considering doing a partial transit (because of the 11-12 day thing) and then taking the excursion through the rest of the locks.... Has anyone done that? And what did you think? Will it suffice to give us the experience without doing the full transit? (Again....We kind of need to limit the number of days if possible...and I'd like to squeeze as much benefit from them as I can)
  3. What cruise lines have either a Naturalist (?) on board...or someone like that... since that was such a huge part of our enjoyment in Alaska... I would like a 'similar' experience...

I'll stop there for now...I'm sure I'll have hundreds more questions...but for now...that'll do... :)

Edited by rgmacm

My first suggestion would be to do some reading here...truckloads of info here, including many issues right on target for your questions.

If you are happy with Princess, go with Princess. The Canal is the Canal for all cruise lines. I think Holland America does the most transits, but Princess does a large number, and both have the 10 or 11 day partial transits.

In all cases, a Canal employee comes on and does a narration. Cruise lines may also have guest speakers on for other Canal presentations.

Whether the ferry ride through will suffice for your interests is impossible to predict. Having done 2 full transits (RCI, HAL), 1 partial (HAL), and our third full transit (HAL) just 2 weeks away, I would say no, a partial won't do it. But you do what you can do- full transits start at 15 days in length.

I'm looking at Jan or Feb 2019...could probably manage a 14-16 day...but 11-12 day would be less 'stressful' with work schedules...

Questions:

1. What cruise line did you take...and WHY??? That 'why' part is a huge factor.... I don't typically like to ask ppl to tell me what to do...(no one likes to answer that question either...haha) I ask them to tell me what THEY did....and WHY they did it. I find that information SO helpful as I try to make decisions that are best for us... Make sense??? :confused:
  2. We're considering doing a partial transit (because of the 11-12 day thing) and then taking the excursion through the rest of the locks.... Has anyone done that? And what did you think? Will it suffice to give us the experience without doing the full transit? (Again....We kind of need to limit the number of days if possible...and I'd like to squeeze as much benefit from them as I can)
  3. What cruise lines have either a Naturalist (?) on board...or someone like that... since that was such a huge part of our enjoyment in Alaska... I would like a 'similar' experience...

I'll stop there for now...I'm sure I'll have hundreds more questions...but for now...that'll do... :)

Don't worry about asking people what to do... they will tell you anyway! ;)

The best answer to your first question is ... You don't want to know... it was a four person boat I paddled through the Canal and the service was horrible and cruise not! While that statement is true, the real answer to your question is... take the cruise line you like. Since you like Princess, I think it is a good choice and they do a good job on the Canal cruises. In a perfect world a full transit cruise that includes a full day stop in Panama is the way to go. Now back to the imperfect world, a partial transit and the shore excursion that takes you through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut is not really a horrible alternative. Actually there are some advantages to that combination, but I don't think they would eclipse my perfect world sceanrio.

Princess has been very good about providing destination lecturers for the Canal and other itineraries as well. They normally don't take the Canal's lecturer, but usually it is the same destination lecturer that has given other presentations. Now I know Princess uses more than one of these people, however if you get the college prof from New York, you would be in for a treat. Believe me there is not a Canal "expert" better, but I am sure they have other competent people as well since there is no way of knowing what ship he will be on since he also provides the same thing to other lines.

More questions... more answers:D.

We sailed on Wind Star for my dream vacation through the Panama Canal. It was our first cruise on Wind Star and it was amazing! We chose it because it was a full transit plus we cruised Costa Rica. It was over the holidays so we took our college sons with us and they were interested in Costa Rica.

We actually flew in early to Panama City and spent Christmas Ave and Day in the old town of Panama. They shoot off fireworks on Christmas Eve and it was quite fun and interesting. We hired a private car to drive us to Colon where we boarded our cruise. The next morning at 5 am the Canal employee who was to navigate the Canal for us came aboard and our full transit began.

We were on the Wind Spirit which holds 180 people so we were able to walk from the bow to the stern at any given time. And we were so close to everything that was happening...it was incredible! It was everything I had hoped it would be and more.

And following our transit we cruised up the coast of Panama and Costa Rica and flew home from San Jose. Including our time in Panama City prior to our cruise we were gone less than 14 days. The timing of the cruise was important to me (over the holidays for our college sons), the length we would be gone, and the fact that we would be on a small ship with the freedom to roam around attreached us to Wind Star. And after having experienced the fantastic crew and all Wind Star has to offer, I can't wait to book our next cruise with them.

You can do your canal research prior to boarding the ship! Libraries are FULL of info on the canal, AND your ports! On a partial, as you enter the locks into the lake, there is running commentary, telling you all about what you're seeing. Unless you are REALLY into the canal, I think skipping the excursion isn't a bad thing. At least 1/2 (if not more) of the passengers will leave the ship at Lake Gatun, and you will have a lovely afternoon onboard (with AC!!!!)...and the reverse trip OUT of the locks will not have the crowds clogging the railings...so you really get an "up close and personal" view of everything!

My wife and I did an 11 day Partial Transit round trip from Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Florida on the Island Princess, one of Princess Cruise Line's smaller ships. We enjoyed it very much.

My wife took tons of pictures and made them into slide shows for her website. You might enjoy them so I'll insert a link below. Viewing the slide shows of our port calls may help you decide what you want to do.

Princess 11 day Partial Panama Canal Cruise

Happy Cruising! It's a great way to travel.