Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:27 AM.
Chicago
53 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
I see there's an iOS thread, but any suggestions for hiking apps that don't need data? I know there are a bunch out there, I'm just curious of anyone has used any.

I'd love to be able to plot a few points on a map when I get home of where we went through the jungle, etc.

Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Dream 12/2017
Celebrity Solstice 7/2016
Los Angeles
283 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
I use "US Topo Maps" on my Galaxy S7 and my Tab A. The paid version allows the downloading and caching of maps ahead of time so a wireless or wifi connection is not needed. You download maps for your areas of interest. There are many maps available including conventional USGS topo, USGS National Map Topo; Open Street Map, NOAA Nautical Charts, aviation charts and of course satellite imagery.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JohnAmtrak - 30,000 miles: Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Capitol Limited, Pacific Surfliner.
Other rail - White Pass and Yukon Route Railway - Skagway to Carcross, Grand Canyon Railway, Fillmore and Western Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Metrolink, Private railcar excursions.
Chicago
53 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Thanks! I'll check it out. Possibly silly question, have you had any experience with it in places like the Western Caribbean?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Dream 12/2017
Los Angeles
283 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
No, so far nothing in that area. I use it primarily for my rail travel. The GPS in your Android will work anywhere you can see the sky. You need to download the maps or charts (ahead of time) for your areas of interest. A wireless connection is not needed. I've only been using this app for about 6 months.

My primary GPS for all travel (land or sea) is a Garmin GPSmap 64s hand-held unit in their "On the trail" series. Areas of interest must be pre-installed with this as well. I use the resulting "tracklog" for geotagging my photographs.

Actually, if you do not need to see where you are on a map, the GPS will still function in the absence of a map on the display. You can display the track log later in various programs including Google Earth.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JohnAmtrak - 30,000 miles: Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Capitol Limited, Pacific Surfliner.
Other rail - White Pass and Yukon Route Railway - Skagway to Carcross, Grand Canyon Railway, Fillmore and Western Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Metrolink, Private railcar excursions.
Philadelphia, PA
144 Posts
Joined May 2004
Not all GPS apps will let you save the log. I want to store our transatlantic course for our upcoming trips. I found several that let me pre download the maps, but didn't have the option to save our track. For some recent cross-country rail trips, and the TAs, I chose OsmAnd and it's working well.
Phil

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app
Los Angeles
283 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Originally posted by frankp01
Not all GPS apps will let you save the log. I want to store our transatlantic course for our upcoming trips. I found several that let me pre download the maps, but didn't have the option to save our track. For some recent cross-country rail trips, and the TAs, I chose OsmAnd and it's working well.
Phil

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app
The US Topo Maps app will allow you to save the log. My Garmin, which is in there On-the trail series, also allows saving of the track log.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chicago
53 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Thanks for the replies. The US topo map app didn't support any of the places I was going on the cruise. As cool as it might be to have a full GPS map of the true ship track, I don't know that it's possible without buying some kind of stand alone GPS unit that includes route tracking. I checked a bunch of apps, but none seem to really do what I was looking for. Far more $ than I plan to spend on this project!

For a few dollars though, I did purchase "GPS Test Plus". I plan on just using that to take waypoints whenever possible and then using google earth, I'll plot a map when I get home.

Google actually used to have an app called "my tracks" but they've stopped developing it. A shame. It was the PERFECT app for what I wanted to do.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Dream 12/2017