NOROVIRUS on Solstice

OIAIO

Au contraire, gmh300968. Within the context of this thread's discussion, it is highly relevant. I have followed this discussion since it was initially started.

In this thread, there have been thoughtful and informed posts about the efficacy of personal hygiene and environmental cleaning protocols, including whether or not chemical antibacterials can be effective against viruses. My post is consistent with the discussion.

In our need to feel safe, in our insistence that we have no challenges to our health, even when traveling to new and unfamiliar environments that our immune systems are not and probably can not be fully prepared for, we are making potentially Faustian bargains. Continued use and over use of chemical sanitizers will probably kill microbes which protects us from infections in the short term. However, not all microbes will be killed, leaving the stronger, more adaptable individuals to proliferate into strains that will be hardier and resistant to man-made interventions. Ultimately leaving us more vulnerable to illness. This is of course another facet of the concerns the global medical community has to pharmaceutical resistances to a growing range of microbes.

Regarding personal hygiene, other CC members have written on this thread what is emphasized in the final words in the article linked, which I will repeat below:

"And it goes without saying that we hand wash frequently – and not with a cursory rinse under a cold tap.

"Use hot water and normal soap, not antibacterial soap – and scrub your hands like a surgeon," Liz Harry says."

Which means we have personal responsibility to ourselves, fellow passengers, and crew to use best hygienic practices to reduce the risk of infections and illness.

Au contraire, gmh300968. Within the context of this thread's discussion, it is highly relevant. I have followed this discussion since it was initially started.

In this thread, there have been thoughtful and informed posts about the efficacy of personal hygiene and environmental cleaning protocols, including whether or not chemical antibacterials can be effective against viruses. My post is consistent with the discussion.

In our need to feel safe, in our insistence that we have no challenges to our health, even when traveling to new and unfamiliar environments that our immune systems are not and probably can not be fully prepared for, we are making potentially Faustian bargains. Continued use and over use of chemical sanitizers will probably kill microbes which protects us from infections in the short term. However, not all microbes will be killed, leaving the stronger, more adaptable individuals to proliferate into strains that will be hardier and resistant to man-made interventions. Ultimately leaving us more vulnerable to illness. This is of course another facet of the concerns the global medical community has to pharmaceutical resistances to a growing range of microbes.

Regarding personal hygiene, other CC members have written on this thread what is emphasized in the final words in the article linked, which I will repeat below:

"And it goes without saying that we hand wash frequently – and not with a cursory rinse under a cold tap.

"Use hot water and normal soap, not antibacterial soap – and scrub your hands like a surgeon," Liz Harry says."

Which means we have personal responsibility to ourselves, fellow passengers, and crew to use best hygienic practices to reduce the risk of infections and illness.

I can only despair at the lack of educated responses in this thread. Comments like your's perpetuate the misinformation on CC about norovirus, and the general misinformation in the wider community regarding viruses. Any perosn who goes about suggesting that an antibaterial will help even a little bit againt a virus, is a misguided fool and should be prosecuted for diseminating infromation which is contrary to the safety of the public.

Thanks to all who contributed and raised the awareness of how important the your own personal hygene is on the ship!

My tip is, first thing you do when enering your cabin >>>> Wash hands, before touching anything in the room!

when moving about the ship try not to touch everything, after using the lift go and wash your Hands!

that will probably reduce exposure by a fair marging!

I am packing and will be on my way to the ship now!

good luck and a happy trip to all, even if you did not agree with my posts!

we may see you on board!

We leave on the 6th of December so would love to hear back from you to see how the Nov 25th cruise does! Have a great trip & stay healthy!:cool:
We will see you on board. Planning to pack all kinds of medicine just in case. I think the airport & planes do more than the cruise ships. But that's the end of most peoples travels before heading home. Hope to see you at the sail-a-way.

I can only despair at the lack of educated responses in this thread. Comments like your's perpetuate the misinformation on CC about norovirus, and the general misinformation in the wider community regarding viruses. Any perosn who goes about suggesting that an antibaterial will help even a little bit againt a virus, is a misguided fool and should be prosecuted for diseminating infromation which is contrary to the safety of the public.

Indeed. There are some that equate all viruses with norovirus, insinuating that they are all robust and resistant to being killed by anti-bacterial hand sanitizers.

Most viruses are very weak outside the body, and hand sanitizer is effective against them:

What about alcohol-based hand sanitizers? Flu experts are enthusiastic.

“I love the stuff,” Perl tells WebMD. She observes that one of its main advantages is that you can use it on the go, far away from sink. Just rub it in until it’s dry, she says, which usually takes just ten seconds or so.

“Gels are just as effective as soap and water at killing influenza virus,” says Schaffner. “We like both of them.”

From: https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/killing-flu-germs-what-works#2

Norovirus is a special case because it can live on a hard surface for 2 weeks or so, far longer than the "up to" 24 hours or so of other viruses. It is a shame that some post misinformation about viruses in general.

If you note I said earlier that hand sanitisers will be useless against norro, but use them as they are effective against other things.

Yes, you did say that. :) I was responding to gmh300968, who insulted everyone else and yet posted an inaccurate statement about "viruses in general".

OIAIO! may you and all the other passengers on the Solstice have a safe, healthy, fun-filled cruise.

Quiltingannie and Redking, thanks for the positive feedback. It is appreciated. I would also like to give a nod to all of the CC members who contributed to this thread in a respectful and/or informative manner.

Yes, you did say that. :) I was responding to gmh300968, who insulted everyone else and yet posted an inaccurate statement about "viruses in general".

Thank you for speaking on behalf of everyone.

Edited by gmh300968