Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:02 AM.
United States
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
This might be out of the realm of common knowledge, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I know that most of the ship is blanketed with WiFi and that you can use that connection to access the internet on a pay-per-minute plan. My question is, does Celebrity limit clients who are connected to the access points from talking to one another?

The reason I ask is that we've got a large group going on a cruise next year, most of whom work in IT. Assuming the WiFi network permits internal communication, we can use our cell phones to communicate over the network peer to peer without needing internet or actual cellular coverage.
Cambridge, MA
65 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
I don't have any personal experience with such a request, but I'd wager the onboard IT manager will say no, since it's only his/her job to be responsible for paying customers using the Internet, not folks who want to use the ship's wifi to communicate peer-to-peer.

I'll bet he or she could come up with all sorts of implausible scenarios in which your activities would mess up Internet access for everyone else -- for example, what if you spend hours a day videochatting between cabins! ;^> Not that you'd do anything like that, but all he or she will care about is the risk.
United States
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Well, the point would be not to be paying. Generally those type of networks are set up to keep people from getting out without paying, but not to regulate internal traffic. This just may not be answer we can get until we get there and try.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
Cambridge, MA
65 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Originally posted by fredflint
as long as you are both paying should not be an issue
I think you may have misunderstood the OP's question, which hinged on the fact that the scarcity onboard isn't Wi-Fi per se but Internet bandwidth. Ideally, p2p traffic onboard would reflect that.

Montesn, give it a try! Maybe the IT manager will be in a charitable mood.
United States
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by RandomBaritone
I think you may have misunderstood the OP's question, which hinged on the fact that the scarcity onboard isn't Wi-Fi per se but Internet bandwidth. Ideally, p2p traffic onboard would reflect that.

Montesn, give it a try! Maybe the IT manager will be in a charitable mood.
I wouldn't expect their IT manager to bend any rules on this. Basically either their network is totally locked down or they've only put thought into stopping people from getting outside the network and using their satellite internet. Either way, it either works or it doesn't, but it's not something we'd involve the staff in.

1,011 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
it would depend on how you were billed if you could log onto the network and not send traffic thru the WAN you would probably not be billed but I am not sure how you would talk with the phones you would need a walkie talkie type program since instant messaging goes back thru a server.
United States
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by fredflint
it would depend on how you were billed if you could log onto the network and not send traffic thru the WAN you would probably not be billed but I am not sure how you would talk with the phones you would need a walkie talkie type program since instant messaging goes back thru a server.
The company I work for makes software like that. I'd just have to have it loaded on a laptop. Assuming the network allowed internal communication, phones would just talk to the laptop.

B.C. Canada
4 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
I'm curious ... how would you communicate between phones within you group, using WiFi? Skype? Sounds like a great idea which our small group of six could try after we leave Hong Kong in April.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike & Irene

Virginia
2,865 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
What I think it really comes down is whether the ship network has been configured with each connection getting its own stub subnet and unable to "talk" to the other subnets. I have not been impressed with the sophistication of Celebrity's IT group so I suspect they have not done that. And their concern seems to be protecting revenue streams, not each client. But, as said by others, it will have to wait for you to test it.

j
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S&J
25 Mar - 10 Apr 2019 Azamara Journey Caribbean - NY repo
22 Dec 2018 - 3 Jan 2019 RCCL Grandeur Caribbean
24-31 Mar 2018 =X= Equinox Caribbean
21 Dec 2017 - 2 Jan 2018 RCCL Grandeur Caribbean
6 - 18 March 2017 RCCL Grandeur Caribbean
21 - 28 November 2016 RCCL Grandeur Bahamas photos-dailies-menus-kids activities
6 - 16 Jan 2015 RCCL Grandeur - Caribbean review photos-dailies-kid schedules
15 Feb - 3 Mar 2014 =X= Century - Caribbean B2B photos
5 - 19 Jan 2013 =X= Summit - Caribbean B2B review photos dailies

27 May - 3 June 2012 =X= Summit -Bermuda review photos dailies, youth activities, menus
22 Feb - 5 Mar 2012 =X= Silhouette - Bayonne/Caribbean review photos dailies & menus
5 - 12 June 2011 =X= Summit - Bermuda review photos dailies

20 Dec 2010 - 3 Jan 2011 =X= Mercury - Caribbean review photos
21 Dec 2009 - 2 Jan 2010 =X= Mercury - Caribbean review photos dailies
26 May - 4 June 2008 Caribbean Princess- Caribbean review photos
2-9 April 2006 Peter Deilmann Mozart (Danube) travelog-photos-review
8-19 July 2002 =X= Galaxy - Caribbean
24-28 Dec 1990 RCCL Nordic Empress - Bahamas

Orlando, Florida
95 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by montesn
The company I work for makes software like that. I'd just have to have it loaded on a laptop. Assuming the network allowed internal communication, phones would just talk to the laptop.
When is your cruise and on what line? I'd be courious to hear if it worked. I was thinking of trying out something similar by installing openfire, an xmpp server, on my laptop in the cabin, and xabber, an xmpp client, on mine an my wife's phone that connected to the server on the laptop. I think this will require their routers to assign an ip that starts with 10. so all connections can recoginize others no matter what router on the ship they are connected to, and to have the routers name be the same throughout so that you don't have to manually connect to wifi on the phone every time to move to another area.

I was able to test this in a hotel that had 2 routers and an ip that started with 10. The routers had different names though so it would be a pain if the ships routers have different names.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Vista, May 2017
Carnival Fantasy, June 2016
RC Oasis Of The Seas, May 2016
Carnival Sensation, Sept 2015
Carnival Conquest, May 2015
Carnival Liberty, June 2014
Carnival Breeze, Jan 2014
Carnival Breeze, May 2013
Carnival Freedom, Apr 2012
Carnival Sensation, Sept 2011
Carnival Freedom, May 2011
Carnival Dream, Apr 2010
Carnival Glory, Oct 2008
Carnival Miracle, Oct 2007
Carnival Legend, Apr 2006
Carnival Victory, May 2005
Carnival Triumph, Sept 2004
Carnival Sensation, Aug 2003
Chicago area
14,081 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
As far as I know you will have a few problems:

The use of the wi-fi network on the ship is limited to accessing the internet. You are billed at $0.75/minute for all minutes you are logged onto the system regardless of the amount of data, if any, being transmitted.
They almost always have access blocked to VOIP programs such as Skype and even if access wasn't blocked the internet bandwidth access speed is so slow that the connection probably wouldn't work in any event.

NCL has announced an experimental program that would allow phone to phone communications over their wifi system. But I read they are just planning on putting it on one ship as a test and don't know if it is up and running yet or not. so maybe some day.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Larry [email protected]
Photo site for past cruises : http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises
Chattanooga, TN
58 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
I tried to do this with my devices on our carnival cruise last December, I couldn't see the other devices on the ships wifi. I tried both a walkie talkie app, as well as setting up my own ventrillo server, no dice, the network is locked down, which is good, cause you don't know what virtual noro virus your computer might get. ;-)

I did see today that carnival is beta testing something that will do text messaging as well as walkie talkie functions on the breeze. I have also read that NCL and Disney have something similar available.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Orlando, Florida
95 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
I was able to perform the previously stated message that I posted on the carnival breeze that I was on several weeks ago. In a nutshell, I had openfire, an xmpp server, on my laptop in the cabin always running and connected to their wifi, and xabber, an xmpp client, on my wife and I's phone that connected to the server on the laptop by specifying the ip address that my laptop was using. The only draw back was that when I was in an area of the ship that I was never in before I had to manually connect my phone to the wifi, but after the first time it would automaticly connect.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Vista, May 2017
Carnival Fantasy, June 2016
RC Oasis Of The Seas, May 2016
Carnival Sensation, Sept 2015
Carnival Conquest, May 2015
Carnival Liberty, June 2014
Carnival Breeze, Jan 2014
Carnival Breeze, May 2013
Carnival Freedom, Apr 2012
Carnival Sensation, Sept 2011
Carnival Freedom, May 2011
Carnival Dream, Apr 2010
Carnival Glory, Oct 2008
Carnival Miracle, Oct 2007
Carnival Legend, Apr 2006
Carnival Victory, May 2005
Carnival Triumph, Sept 2004
Carnival Sensation, Aug 2003
Fort Worth, TX
1 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by Orlando Dave
I was able to perform the previously stated message that I posted on the carnival breeze that I was on several weeks ago. In a nutshell, I had openfire, an xmpp server, on my laptop in the cabin always running and connected to their wifi, and xabber, an xmpp client, on my wife and I's phone that connected to the server on the laptop by specifying the ip address that my laptop was using. The only draw back was that when I was in an area of the ship that I was never in before I had to manually connect my phone to the wifi, but after the first time it would automaticly connect.
Dave...I'm curious if you had to pay to have your laptop/server connected to the wi-fi system. Also...did you happen to hear from anyone else using the Carnival Fun Phone App being tested on the Breeze? Or have any idea how much they were charging to use the app?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Massachusetts
1,516 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
I will be going on the allure in Oct and will be bringing an iPad, 2 iPhones and a laptop. My experience on a previous cruise was that the Access points on the ship do not allow devices connected to them to communicate with each other. It is something that the access point can be configured to allow or not.

But I will see on the Allure if this does work. I am interested to see if it does.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCI Upgrade history 0 for 12. What's an upgrade??? Perhaps the next one will be the magic one?