Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:01 PM.
#1
27 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
I was wanting to bring a drone on my cruise, but my DW swears she read they are not allowed. She can't seem to recall if they are not allowed to be flown on board (understandable) or not allowed at all, for ports. Does anyone have any experience with this, and which cruise lines have policies about them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app
#2
Los Angeles
312 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Google: "drones on cruise ships". You'll have plenty to read. Also search "drones" here on CruiseCritic.
You might also check the websites of cruiselines, especially the one you may be cruising on, for their rules.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JohnAmtrak - 30,000 miles: Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Capitol Limited, Pacific Surfliner. Later this year: Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Southwest Chief.
Other rail - White Pass and Yukon Route Railway - Skagway to Carcross, Grand Canyon Railway, Fillmore and Western Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Metrolink, Private railcar excursions.
#4
19,155 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by swomel
I was wanting to bring a drone on my cruise, but my DW swears she read they are not allowed. She can't seem to recall if they are not allowed to be flown on board (understandable) or not allowed at all, for ports. Does anyone have any experience with this, and which cruise lines have policies about them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app
Your particular cruise line will have an FAQ section on their web site that specifies what cannot be brought on board. That might quickly answer your question about whether or not you can bring it along.


You then need to check the specific ports to see if there are any laws in them.

Good luck.
#6
United States
2,812 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Realize also, your cruise probably goes to other countries, who may have differing laws about drones.

I would leave it home.
#7
Edmonton, Canada
501 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
listed in Prohibited items in what to pack FAQ

"Drones also referred to as Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or Remotely Piloted Aerial Vehicle (RPA), and any other remote controlled aerial devices/toys."
#8
Central Florida
833 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Just got off a Holland America ship in November. In the custom's area in FLL when disembarking, there was a table with the sign "Confiscated items for Pickup". On the table were 2 drones in boxes, tagged with the passenger's names. I agree with other posts, leave it home and enjoy the cruise.
#9
27 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
We just got off the Carnival Dream, and their print policy has been updated on the website as well. Drones are allowed to be used in ports only, we took one, and used it, as well as took it on every port day with not the slightest hassle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
#10
United States
2,812 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Just realize that drones may be more regulated in other countries. And use of one may get you fined or jailed.
#12
Dallas Texas
145 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I started taking a “drone” with us when cruising about a year ago. Only had one ship with a concern so far. On our December 24th cruise on Celebrity Silhouette ... security wanted to keep the drone in their offices and asked me to check it out at each port where I would like to use it. Celebrity security was very nice about it and was helpful about port rules as well.

They stated that the cruise line was concerned about people flying them while onboard. I agree with Celebrity security completely ! No one should ever fly them onboard ... far too easy to hurt someone. No one should ever take off from a moving cruise ship either ... that’s a good way to lose an expensive camera !!

On our Southern Caribbean cruise on the Equinox, each evening the crew were interested in what shots I had got while in port. We had fun reviewing the video in Michael’s Club each evening. We got some incredible shots during Aruba and Tortola. I think the crew may have had more fun with our videos than we did ! Equinox security and guest relations also wasn’t a problem at all and were excited about the great video footage.

My advice ... take your drone, but research before hand which ports are ok and which ports are NOT ok. Barbados for example is a STRICT no fly zone. Also ... always let ship security know you have brought it onboard. It has been my experience that they will work with you.

And lastly ... I try to educate the crew that it’s not actually a “drone”. It’s NOT an autonomous flying system ... it’s simply a remote camera. After understanding that it’s really just a flying camera used to get great video, Celebrity’s ship security has been really very easy to work with.

— Don


Sent from my iPad using Forums
#13
California
146 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Princess has a list of prohibited items on their website and they include:
  • Drones also referred to as Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or Remotely Piloted Aerial Vehicle (RPA), and any other remote controlled aerial devices/toys.
#14
United Kingdom
2,385 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by dcyonce
I started taking a “drone” with us when cruising about a year ago. Only had one ship with a concern so far. On our December 24th cruise on Celebrity Silhouette ... security wanted to keep the drone in their offices and asked me to check it out at each port where I would like to use it. Celebrity security was very nice about it and was helpful about port rules as well.

They stated that the cruise line was concerned about people flying them while onboard. I agree with Celebrity security completely ! No one should ever fly them onboard ... far too easy to hurt someone. No one should ever take off from a moving cruise ship either ... that’s a good way to lose an expensive camera !!

On our Southern Caribbean cruise on the Equinox, each evening the crew were interested in what shots I had got while in port. We had fun reviewing the video in Michael’s Club each evening. We got some incredible shots during Aruba and Tortola. I think the crew may have had more fun with our videos than we did ! Equinox security and guest relations also wasn’t a problem at all and were excited about the great video footage.

My advice ... take your drone, but research before hand which ports are ok and which ports are NOT ok. Barbados for example is a STRICT no fly zone. Also ... always let ship security know you have brought it onboard. It has been my experience that they will work with you.

And lastly ... I try to educate the crew that it’s not actually a “drone”. It’s NOT an autonomous flying system ... it’s simply a remote camera. After understanding that it’s really just a flying camera used to get great video, Celebrity’s ship security has been really very easy to work with.

— Don


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Celebrity seem to have the correct approach. Nothing at all wrong in ensuring you dont fly on the ship, but there are lots of places that passengers are allowed to fly and no reason to deny this.

My next trip is to Singapore, Vietnam and Hong Kong.

I'm not in Singapore long enough and expect they are very strict. Vietnam I know you can fly but you need to pre register your flight details and obviously everywhere near military installations are banned. Hong Kong has similar rules. No license is needed in either. The problem comes for Vietnam is getting a reply and approval. If I dont get one, the drones stay at home.

There is only one place I really want to fly and thats Halong Bay.

Obviously, people do fly there and take the chance. The chances of being challenged are very low, but I certainly won't be taking any chances.

I've taken it on 2 cruises to date without any problem. Never even thought to ask the CL as I've no intention of taking off from the ship. It would be fun to do, but pretty obviously wouldnt be acceptable.

This is what I'm hoping to film.

https://youtu.be/652aGR_sBIY

https://youtu.be/RBehpXUGnNg

https://youtu.be/VfwlAU5WULY
#15
Dallas Texas
145 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by les37b

There is only one place I really want to fly and thats Halong Bay.

Obviously, people do fly there and take the chance. The chances of being challenged are very low, but I certainly won't be taking any chances.

I've taken it on 2 cruises to date without any problem. Never even thought to ask the CL as I've no intention of taking off from the ship. It would be fun to do, but pretty obviously wouldnt be acceptable.

This is what I'm hoping to film.

https://youtu.be/652aGR_sBIY

https://youtu.be/RBehpXUGnNg

https://youtu.be/VfwlAU5WULY
WOW !
I would love to be on that cruise with you and do some filming as well. Be sure to post your experience with getting approval from Vietnam authorities.

-- Don
#16
United Kingdom
2,385 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by dcyonce
WOW !
I would love to be on that cruise with you and do some filming as well. Be sure to post your experience with getting approval from Vietnam authorities.

-- Don
Its a very special place to film.

https://www.uavsystemsinternational....am-drone-laws/ Explains what you need to do and that its legal to fly. But the problem is getting a reply and the permit.

We'll see. I'm not expecting to hear back..... but will make the trip if I can.

In researching, Ive seen lots of instances of confiscation at DaNang airport and someone who lived in HCMC for a few years get deported after flying his UAV over some military installation there.

I've not used either my Mavic or Phantom 3 pro much at all.... its about time I did!

My worries with the Mavic - is it keeps being attacked by seagulls! lol
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



#17
1 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
I recently went through a similar exercise. I've read mixed information online about drones on cruise ships so I emailed royal carribean. I got a response saying drones were not permitted to be flown on board however if I get the relevant paperwork that says I have permission to fly the drone at or ports of call the drone will be stored with security and returned on port days.
I have decided it's just to much of a pain in the arse so it's staying home.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Forums mobile app