Ports AFTER a major Hurricane

Hurricane Zone 2017
For those of you who enjoy discussing the nitty gritty of hurricane season!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:36 PM.
St. Paul MN
3,337 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Just saw on Twitter this Sunday that the first cruise ship has stopped at Key West.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Fredericksburg, Virginia
171 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by DrA809
We are ready for you guys in Puerto Rico. We just dont know if the islands around will be ready. It was very very very strong the force of Irma when it hit those islands. We are embracing them and hoping we can help them get back on their feet. They do need our support!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Thank you for posting. We are sailing on Norwegian Dawn out of San Juan in early December. Looks like we will be good to go with 2 of the stops out of 5 (St. Maarten and St. Thomas) changed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2019 Cruises (so far,) Star Princess, March (Hawaii & South Pacific)
2018 Cruises: Carnival Sensation, January (West Caribbean), Carnival Pride, April (Back-to-back Bermuda & East Caribbean); Emerald Princess, August (Alaska); Coral Princess, December (Panama Canal)
2017 Cruises: Crown Princess, March (East Caribbean); Carnival Triumph, September (Mexico); Norwegian Dawn, December (South Caribbean)
19 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Emailed Carnival, leaving tomorrow on the Princess, they removed our stop at Key West, leaving us just the two days in Havana. I hoping they put Key West back on. No reply so far.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Glory 2006
Carnival Victory 2007
Queen Mary II to Europe June 2008 to do a Rick Steves 21 day "Back Door Through Europe"
Queen Mary II return from Europe July 2008 We were there for 5 weeks, had 10 days extra until QM2 return.
Carnival Glory 2009 Eastern back to back cruises
Carnival Glory 2009 Western
Carnival Freedom 2010
Holland Ryndam 2011
Carnival Freedom 2011
Carnival Liberty 2012
Holland Noordam 2013
Carnival Dream 2014
Carnival Sensation 2015
Carnival Magic 2016
Carnival Sunshine 2016
Carnival Paradise 2017 first Carnival ship to return to Key West and Cuba after hurricane Irma.
near the falls, ny
203 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Rubbishangler
We go Nov 22 on Arcadia ,Tortola,st maartin,Martinique,three of our stops ,nothing from p and o ,what I don't want is extra sea days ,anyone been I formed of changes yet ?
I would guess Carnival will wait about a month out to announce any changes. It is still hurricane season and the situation on some islands is improving so they will not want to make the call too early. Also, the islands need to tourism to help recover.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Legend 8/26/2007 - +0.5 - hurricane itinerary
Carnival Dream 9/25/2010 +1
Carnival Miracle 3/25/2012 +1.5
Carnival Freedom 8/22/2015 +2
Carnival Breeze 2/19/2017 - +2
Carnival Glory 2/17/2017 - +2 (9 year old eats like it is +3)
--
from near Buffalo, NY
16 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by schinz2
HI All,
I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea whatsoever with my post. I am completely heartbroken looking at the devastation this storm has caused and will cause. What I am thinking, though, and I guess more so questioning is why a company with a ship full of thousands of travelers who paid, in some cases, money that they saved a very long time for a vacation would pull their ship into a port simply because the port is "ready" for cruise ships and not take into account that the entire rest of the island is destroyed. I guess I am curious as to what the passengers who had planned their excursions that they cannot now take do the whole day in port. I read someone who said they toured the devastation and another who indicated they picked up debris and trash all day. I think it would be a wonderful idea for Carnival to dedicate a ship to ferry around 3,000 volunteers from island to island assisting with cleanup!! I bet they could fill that ship for months as many many people want to help. My feeling, though, is that when a lot of people go on a cruise they do so to relax, unwind, enjoy excursions, etc., not to tour devastation and clean up debris. I was just wondering what the corporate line of thought was in the way of passenger experiences following catastrophes like this.
I am very much in agreement with your concerns and mine are the same. We are scheduled for Celebrity Summit in November and as of now there are no changes to our itinerary. I'm not certain how they can expect thousands of people to stay in Puerto Rico with no electricity or food when thousands are fleeing from the airport as quickly as they can. I understand that Cruise Lines want the islands to get up and running and return to normal as quickly as possible - those islands are their lifelines. However this should not be done at our expense. I've spent weeks in Florida cleaning up post storm/debris and assisting others - but this is supposed to be a vacation. Just because the Port is viable to dock a ship does not mean it is suited for tourists. There are reports of everyone walking around PR with guns for safety as law enforcement is non existent - not where anyone should be going. Our hotel has been devastated I'm sure so I don't even know where people will stay. I'm frustrated with Celebrity who I have called several times and am told that they are working on the problem but will have no information for several weeks.
NY
511 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Following. Cruising the beginning of December. Our itinerary includes St. Thomas and Grand Turk. By all accounts, it sounds like we’ll be visiting those ports. We’ll see...

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Charlotte, NC
335 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
From another thread, check out status.pr for some statistics.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pride of America 2006
Sapphire Princess 2008
Splendour of the Seas 2014
Explorer of the Seas 2015
Freedom of the Seas 2016
Silhouette 2018
USA
745 Posts
Joined May 2004
following
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PAST

Carnival Ecstasy~Western Caribbean~6/99 Just OK
Caribbean Princess~Eastern Caribbean~10/02/04 Awesome!
Caribbean Princess~Eastern Caribbean~10/14/06 Awesome again!
Serenade of the Seas~Alaska inside passage 06/08 Beautiful! RCCL
Emerald Princess~Eastern Caribbean...again 10/09 WONDERFUL!
Golden Princess~Alaska inside passage 06/10/10 Wonderful but least favorite ship!
Crown Princess~Southern Caribbean...11/11 Great but some issues LOVE the 3 sea days!
Ruby Princess~Eastern Caribbean...4/21/13 CANCELED-Bummer
Caribbean Princess~Western Caribbean out of Houston..11/23/13 THANKSGIVING CRUISE. VERY disappointing cruise. Bad weather. Did NOT feel like the Caribbean.
Ruby Princess~Eastern Caribbean~11/8/14~PERFECT seas WONDERFUL!
Explorer of the Seas~5/27/16~Alaska Inside Passage~Beautiful ship but disappointed RCCL
Regal Princess~Eastern Caribbean w/St Kitts~2/17~LOVED this ship. Great cruise!
Royal Princess~Eastern 5 day~11/17

Happy Sailing!

~Pam~
United States
11 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Do cruise ships usually cancel port stops or reroute the stops?
We are cruising in March and all the islands suffered major damage. St Martin, Puerto Rico, st Kitts St Thomas. We don't want to cancel because we know it's crucial for the islands economy, but don't want to be completely at sea the whole cruise either? Any thoughts on who to ask or suggestions?
South Carolina
29,034 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
By March you should certainly be able to go to ALL of your scheduled port stops.
Getting ships back with cruisers spending money plays a big part in their recovery.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
2,053 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
With some port scheduled to open late November, December & January I want to remind people that just because their open you need to keep your guard up. Many of the places that will be open are simply tourist spots while the rest of the island remain devastated. Desperate people do desperate things and in my opinion crime is going to be very high. We usually go off on our own but for our February cruise we’re sticking with ship excursions.
If you decide to go off n your own please be carful and educate yourself by reading the islands news and using common sense. Things are far from good on the islands hit so don’t be fooled.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Allure 2016
Carnival Breeze 2014
Carnival Liberty 2013
Carnival Freedom 2011
Carnival Inspiration 2009
Royal Majesty of the Seas 2000
Carnival Fantasy 1998

19 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
When we arrived in Key West the downtown area was not in terrible shape but had a lot of trash. We saw quite a few boats beach on the shore line and some sunken ones. The monument for the most southern part of the Unites States that had just been repainted a month before was sandblasted by Irma. Havana was in pretty good shape, people were glad to see us in both ports, they rely a lot on the tourist trade
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Glory 2006
Carnival Victory 2007
Queen Mary II to Europe June 2008 to do a Rick Steves 21 day "Back Door Through Europe"
Queen Mary II return from Europe July 2008 We were there for 5 weeks, had 10 days extra until QM2 return.
Carnival Glory 2009 Eastern back to back cruises
Carnival Glory 2009 Western
Carnival Freedom 2010
Holland Ryndam 2011
Carnival Freedom 2011
Carnival Liberty 2012
Holland Noordam 2013
Carnival Dream 2014
Carnival Sensation 2015
Carnival Magic 2016
Carnival Sunshine 2016
Carnival Paradise 2017 first Carnival ship to return to Key West and Cuba after hurricane Irma.
Illinois, United States
37 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Any update on how San Juan looks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-Norwegian Pearl(1) Alaska
-Celebrity Reflection (2x) Meditarrean and Carribean
-Princess (1) Cozumel
Upcoming(11/19/2017 Silhoutte)
2,053 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Mrs.JSparrow
Any update on how San Juan looks
Tourist areas are looking much better but the outer areas are plain and simply destroyed. Old SJ and the business district are pretty good from where they were.

I was just watching something on it and the city I’m in gets about 160 calls a day from people wanting to come here from there as everything is destroyed and they have nothing. There is a huge need for water in most areas.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Allure 2016
Carnival Breeze 2014
Carnival Liberty 2013
Carnival Freedom 2011
Carnival Inspiration 2009
Royal Majesty of the Seas 2000
Carnival Fantasy 1998

South Carolina
29,034 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Originally posted by Midwestgal
With some port scheduled to open late November, December & January I want to remind people that just because their open you need to keep your guard up. Many of the places that will be open are simply tourist spots while the rest of the island remain devastated. Desperate people do desperate things and in my opinion crime is going to be very high. We usually go off on our own but for our February cruise we’re sticking with ship excursions.
If you decide to go off n your own please be carful and educate yourself by reading the islands news and using common sense. Things are far from good on the islands hit so don’t be fooled.
Good Post! Agree, we're doing the same.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)