Hurricane Zone 2017
For those of you who enjoy discussing the nitty gritty of hurricane season!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:35 AM.
Nashville, TN
146 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Anyone cruising this weekend concerned about Invest 90L forming in the gulf? Especially from gulf coast ports. What is the best site to check for updates on this kind of thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises
Carnival Elation - August 14, 2014 - Cozumel
Carnival Dream - October 2, 2016 - Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan

Carnival Dream - October 9, 2017 - Grand Cayman and Cozumel
Forest, Va
433 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by Pyxie
Anyone cruising this weekend concerned about Invest 90L forming in the gulf? Especially from gulf coast ports. What is the best site to check for updates on this kind of thing?

Mikes weather page, spaghettimodels.com
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Fantasy July 9th 2011 Nassau, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay
Carnival Valor July 15th 2012 Key West, Montego Bay, Cayman Islands
Carnival Dream July 13th 2013 Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten
Carnival Liberty October 26th 2013 Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk
Carnival Conquest January 26th 2014 Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Cayman Islands
Carnival Breeze April 26th 2014 Grand Turk, La Romana Dominican Republic, Curaçao, Aruba
Carnival Breeze September 27th 2014 Grand Turk, La Romana Dominican Republic, Curaçao, Aruba
Carnival Liberty January 16th 2015 Bonaire, Aruba, Grand Turk
Carnival Conquest June 21st 2015 Grand Turk, La Romana Dominican Republic, Curaçao, Aruba
Carnival Breeze October 24th 2015 Grand Turk, La Romana Dominican Republic, Aruba, Curaçao
Carnival Valor January 2nd 2016 Amber Cove Dominican Republic, St.Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk
Carnival Conquest April 30th 2016 Grand Turk, La Romana Dominican Republic, Curaçao, Aruba
Carnival Splendor October 8th 2017 Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove
Nashville, TN
146 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by timeinthesand
I wouldn't be concerned at all.

Trying not to be but we are sailing from New Orleans and if it does what most of the models show, it'll hit on Sunday when we are trying to embark.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises

Nashville, TN
146 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
How far away from the port do you live?

National hurricane center is the source I use for tracking weather that may affect the ports.

About 8 hours so we have a decent drive. Supposed to drive in on Friday.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises

317 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
This doesn't look like an event at all. The ship will come in if the port is open which it probably will be. I don't know where you're staying, but hopefully it's very near the port so just in case it's a rain event you won't be inconvenienced. But it's expected to move very quickly, no matter what it becomes and that is always good news for us on the gulf coast. It's going to be fine and you will have a great vacation.
Oh, and I thought if it goes that way it would be there either Sunday (rainy for you) or Monday, Carnival will have you out of its path by then.
Nashville, TN
146 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
This doesn't look like an event at all. The ship will come in if the port is open which it probably will be. I don't know where you're staying, but hopefully it's very near the port so just in case it's a rain event you won't be inconvenienced. But it's expected to move very quickly, no matter what it becomes and that is always good news for us on the gulf coast. It's going to be fine and you will have a great vacation.
Oh, and I thought if it goes that way it would be there either Sunday or Monday, Carnival will have you out of its path by then.

Thank you! We're staying a short cab ride from port.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises

19,531 Posts
Joined Nov 2009

It's that time of the year.
Nashville, TN
146 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by riclop
It's that time of the year.

I'm aware and was when I booked.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises

South Carolina
29,072 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Trying not to be but we are sailing from New Orleans and if it does what most of the models show, it'll hit on Sunday when we are trying to embark.
Does seem to be the case.
But, hopefully, will just be a bit rainy & windy with no big impact.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
Nashville, TN
146 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by OCruisers
Does seem to be the case.

But, hopefully, will just be a bit rainy & windy with no big impact.

Hopefully.. my biggest question right now is what happens if the storm develops and hits the mouth of the Mississippi River the same day we're supposed to sail out of it? There's not really anywhere else for the ship to go so do they sail through it, delay the cruise, or just sit at port?

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises

Forest, Va
433 Posts
Joined May 2012
Oh, and I thought if it goes that way it would be there either Sunday (rainy for you) or Monday, Carnival will have you out of its path by then.
Not sure what you are basing your opinion of this is not an event at all? By Thursday we will have a good idea if this could possibly be an event as it's way to early to say this won't be an event. Several models say this could be a cat 1-2 hurricane in 48-96, as of now most have it at tropical storm in 48-96 hrs. Yesterday it was at less than 20% development, now 70% by NHC. As we have seen recently canes can develop quickly and strong. In addition if it does develop it will not be good as it will hit the coast full strength like Harvey did in Rockport, Irma in St Maarten and Maria in Dominica as it will have little time to lose energy. While major damage was done in PR by Maria and the Keys by Irma they were fortunate that the storm was slightly decreasing when they took the hit. No matter what the strength of a hurricane is it's much worse when it hits land at its full strength vs decreasing in winds. Depending upon how much land interaction there is on the way to the gulf will help determine strength. Currently the GOM is very warm and very good climate for rapid intensification. It only takes 1-2 days to go from TS to Cat 3+ as evident by Harvey, Maria, and Irma so to say this is not a potential event is inaccurate at this point. To the OP I would definitely keep my eye on this and I hope all works out for you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Fantasy July 9th 2011 Nassau, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay
Carnival Valor July 15th 2012 Key West, Montego Bay, Cayman Islands
Carnival Dream July 13th 2013 Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten
Carnival Liberty October 26th 2013 Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk
Carnival Conquest January 26th 2014 Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Cayman Islands
Carnival Breeze April 26th 2014 Grand Turk, La Romana Dominican Republic, Curaçao, Aruba
Carnival Breeze September 27th 2014 Grand Turk, La Romana Dominican Republic, Curaçao, Aruba
Carnival Liberty January 16th 2015 Bonaire, Aruba, Grand Turk
Carnival Conquest June 21st 2015 Grand Turk, La Romana Dominican Republic, Curaçao, Aruba
Carnival Breeze October 24th 2015 Grand Turk, La Romana Dominican Republic, Aruba, Curaçao
Carnival Valor January 2nd 2016 Amber Cove Dominican Republic, St.Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk
Carnival Conquest April 30th 2016 Grand Turk, La Romana Dominican Republic, Curaçao, Aruba
Carnival Splendor October 8th 2017 Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove
Philadelphia, PA
141 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
We're sailing out of Miami on Thursday, due to be in Key West on Friday and Cozumel on Saturday... would they just make an itinerary change after we depart? Or what's standard? We knew booking this time of year was a risk, just curious how this could play out...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1/30/18 - Norwegian Pearl (TRB XVIII)
10/5/17 - Carnival Sensation
2/10/17 - Norwegian Jade (TRB XVII)
1/26/16 - Norwegian Pearl (TRB XVI)
1/24/15 - Norwegian Pearl (TRB XV)
1/5/14 - Carnival Pride
10/9/11 - Carnival Legend
9/19/10 - Carnival Valor
5/7/10 - Majesty of the Seas
9/6/09 - Carnival Victory
1/17/09 - Carnival Destiny (TRB IX)
1/14/06 - Carnival Elation (TRB VI)
8/29/02 - Carnival Sensation (TRB II)
12/30/01 - Carnival Inspiration
3/29/96 - Carnival Tropicale
Nashville, TN
146 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by orimeep
We're sailing out of Miami on Thursday, due to be in Key West on Friday and Cozumel on Saturday... would they just make an itinerary change after we depart? Or what's standard? We knew booking this time of year was a risk, just curious how this could play out...

Yes that's always possible.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises

Bradenton, FL
5,402 Posts
Joined Jan 2005

http://nhc.noaa.gov
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

MSC Seaside - Eastern Caribbean - 6/9/18-6/16/18

Past Cruises:
MS Trollfjord - Hurtigruten Northbound - 8/11/04 - 8/18/04
Carnival Miracle - Exotic Western Caribbean - 9/25/05 - 10/2/05
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - 6/9/07 - 6/14/07
Carnival Sensation - Bahamas - 1/24/08 - 1/27/08
Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean - 9/13/08 - 9/20/08