World Club and Seabourn Club

eliana

We have cruised a lot with Seabourn and are Gold members of the World Club. Since both lines are owned by Carnival I asked if our membership of both clubs could be combined, thus moving us to higher tiers. This was refused.

We have cruised a lot with Seabourn and are Gold members of the World Club. Since both lines are owned by Carnival I asked if our membership of both clubs could be combined, thus moving us to higher tiers. This was refused.

I noticed you crusied on the Pride in 2002, I think you will find those days will have been added on to you Cunard days, my wife and I cruised on Seabourn and all the days have been added on to our Cunard days, this was before Carnival took over. Hope this helps?

Yes and no. When Cunard was bought by Carnival in the late 1990s it was initially merged with Seabourn (which was already owned by Carnival) and voyages on either were credited to both lines clubs. However, the structure under Carnival was changed early in the 2000s and thereafter there was no reciprocal system. It is this that I don’t like.

Yes and no. When Cunard was bought by Carnival in the late 1990s it was initially merged with Seabourn (which was already owned by Carnival) and voyages on either were credited to both lines clubs. However, the structure under Carnival was changed early in the 2000s and thereafter there was no reciprocal system. It is this that I don’t like.

But if one took the Carnival reciprocity principle to the extreme we would have Cunard, P & O, Princess, Carnival, Costa & Seabourn all sharing benefits and in my opinion that simply would not work. Already, I think. some of these "benefit levels" become overcrowded and detract from the intended value of the particular benefits. I can well see the cruise lines adopting some of the airlines concept in that you will lose status after a certain period if you do not continue to travel on a specific line - and I am inclined to accept that idea. I recently lost my British Airways benefits because I do not travel with them much these days (mainly because, in my opinion, there are better airlines going to the places I travel to) and I think that is totally fair.

Loyalty marketing is an interesting study - be interesting to see what others think.

Our first cruise with Seabourn was 1999 and the last was 2005, in those days once you had done 140 days cruising with Seabourn, they would give you a free cruise, I would be surprised if this was still the case. But all the days we travelled on Seabourn transferred to Cunard.;p

I once read that repeat customers don't spend as much on board as new customers. Perhaps that's why Carnival Corp doesn't share miles across their lines. On the other hand, I'd be more likely to try a different line in the family if the memberships were shared. I wonder what market research actually shows.

Our first cruise with Seabourn was 1999 and the last was 2005, in those days once you had done 140 days cruising with Seabourn, they would give you a free cruise, I would be surprised if this was still the case. But all the days we travelled on Seabourn transferred to Cunard.;p

That is still the case with Seabourn. Sail 140 days and get a free 7 day cruise. Sail 250 days and get a few 14 day cruise, No other line is that generous as far as I know.