Virgin Voyages announces they are taking deposits for 2020.... No Children...

bookitdanno

The Caribbean isn't the most exciting place in the world to vacation! :D No doubt about that. But they need to start somewhere.

Coming from Australia I disagree! Give me a Caribbean cruise any day over a South Pacific one!!!!

Aussie Cruiser

Did you sail the week before or after Easter? Now I’m a bit concerned as we are booked April 8 on Silhouette. Easter is the week before. We usually go the week after Easter and haven’t had issues, but those were 10 day cruises. This time it is 7 Days.

Thanks.

We were on Silhouette last Easter week. We were nervous about there being a lot of children, so we booked Aqua to shield us (somewhat) from them. We didn't have to worry at all. If there were 50 kids on board, that was a lot. I think it was because Easter was in April also, which was late for Spring break cruisers and, perhaps, families found other ships more appealing.

Well personally, I call this discrimination and this business model is illegal in many countries. Just my opinion. Maybe Disney cruise line should ban people over 50 because they're boring LOL

There are adult only resorts on many islands in the Caribbean and noone complains about that. How is it illegal in many countries if these resorts exist already? Heck, how about over 55 communities in the US? Noone sues them for not allowing families with kids to live there.

Well personally, I call this discrimination and this business model is illegal in many countries. Just my opinion. Maybe Disney cruise line should ban people over 50 because they're boring LOL

I may be wrong but I thought it was the first ship that was an adult only ship. One or both of the other ships will be for family.

Frankly I like the no kids concept. I fail to see where the discrimination is. For years a lot of people here on this board were voicing how nice it would be to have an adults only ship. Their wish is about to come through

I may be wrong but I thought it was the first ship that was an adult only ship. One or both of the other ships will be for family.

Frankly I like the no kids concept. I fail to see where the discrimination is. For years a lot of people here on this board were voicing how nice it would be to have an adults only ship. Their wish is about to come through

Yes, but I doubt they cruise it because I expect it to be much more expensive than Celebrity. There are many ships that people could cruise on that would highly minimize the possibility of cruising with kids, but most of them are premium or luxury lines, with a much higher cost.

We were on Silhouette last Easter week. We were nervous about there being a lot of children, so we booked Aqua to shield us (somewhat) from them. We didn't have to worry at all. If there were 50 kids on board, that was a lot. I think it was because Easter was in April also, which was late for Spring break cruisers and, perhaps, families found other ships more appealing.

This year Easter is April 1st and we board April 8, so I’m hoping we miss it.. I think we will be okay. I don’t mind kids. Just don’t enjoy a ship full of kids.

Who would give a company $500 to hold for a cruise where you don't know itinerary or even pricing structure? I have an Azamara cruise booked in 2019 and that is almost too far away. This is a reach and maybe he is trying to capitalize on some hype and his devoted followers.

Who would give a company $500 to hold for a cruise where you don't know itinerary or even pricing structure? I have an Azamara cruise booked in 2019 and that is almost too far away. This is a reach and maybe he is trying to capitalize on some hype and his devoted followers.

Last I saw on the Virgin board there were close to 1300 deposits for 2 people so I’d say quite a few people.

Did you sail the week before or after Easter? Now I’m a bit concerned as we are booked April 8 on Silhouette. Easter is the week before. We usually go the week after Easter and haven’t had issues, but those were 10 day cruises. This time it is 7 Days.

Thanks.

It was on 4/8, the week before Easter. I believe there were like 200 children onboard because the CD made a point of mentioning this fact. The solarium was a nice space yo scape the chao but because tge hottubs were busy with kids by the pool, the ones in the solarium were packed with adults.

I was talking about upper age limits. I think you may have misunderstood.

Whilst it's legal to ban children from hotels and cruise lines it would be unlawful to ban anyone over a specific age in the EU and probably everywhere else as this would amount to discrimination.

In short Virgin might have wanted to exclude pax over 60 but they can't.

While I don't condone excluding pax over 60 ( I'll be hitting that number by the time the first ship sails :D) perhaps he could limit the septuagenarian's and octogenarian's by not accepting reservations from anyone who has ever sailed with HAL.:D

Of course, banning polyester in their dress code might accomplish the same thing. :halo:

Do you know what it was?

I'd be interested to know that too - considering he's 67!

Not sure. I used the word 'allegedly' because I'd read about this on the Virgin board.

Someone wondered when the first dress code thread would appear on there. Well this is only personal opinion but considering Branson stated he wanted to create a cruise line as he found others "stuffy", I doubt they'll be anything other than smart and casual, no swimwear in the dining areas.

Remember the complaints we had after the abolition of formal night on Celebrity? There was a small number who objected to the introduction of Chic night, I suspect that Virgin Voyages will not be a cruise line for them and vice versa.

While I don't condone excluding pax over 60 ( I'll be hitting that number by the time the first ship sails :D) perhaps he could limit the septuagenarian's and octogenarian's by not accepting reservations from anyone who has ever sailed with HAL.:D

Of course, banning polyester in their dress code might accomplish the same thing. :halo:

I sailed HAL in my late thirties......

I confess it was our first cruise, we were in Florida anyway and decided to just jump on a cruise ship last minute without doing very much research on passenger demographics at all. I pay a lot more attention these days. :D

There are some really interesting thoughts on the VV board about wishes for the new ship. Quite a few are stating they want to keep away from the ‘ship within a ship’ model - makes me wonder if Edge will be too late to the party, so to speak (food for thought)? They are saying they would prefer more choices for entertainment across the demographics instead.

As Minki posted, most also say they would prefer the ‘country casual’ evening attire, with more emphasis on included specialty restaurants.

It will be nice to have more choices for everyone and as I posted above, interesting to read. Biggest hit appears to be the 18+ feature.

There are some really interesting thoughts on the VV board about wishes for the new ship. Quite a few are stating they want to keep away from the ‘ship within a ship’ model - makes me wonder if Edge will be too late to the party, so to speak (food for thought)? They are saying they would prefer more choices for entertainment across the demographics instead.

As Minki posted, most also say they would prefer the ‘country casual’ evening attire, with more emphasis on included specialty restaurants.

It will be nice to have more choices for everyone and as I posted above, interesting to read. Biggest hit appears to be the 18+ feature.

Having just read a post on the Luminae thread it's very apparent to me why there's a need for a more modern line like VV targeting the demographic that Celebrity appears to be failing to do.

Ironically I've just added my two penneth. I agree with more choices. I'm not opposed to the ship within a ship concept if it doesn't heavily impact on others. That said I'm far from convinced it will impact anywhere near as much as some people imply.

In any case it will be interesting to see how Edge and VV pan out in the next few years.

I did.:D

Why don't you call Richard Branson?:rolleyes:Some of us adults who you call "boring" are tired of some kids and teens overtaking hottubs, elevators and anything else they please on a ship. How old are you?

Edited by awhcruiser

I'm not opposed to kids, but also not opposed to more sophisticated adult things.

I think more like spohisticated kid. I mean it can be quite draining being adult every day. But the kids get priority use of the kiddie fun things, so move them aside, neat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums