Packing for Alaska in July

Bily

I have been to Alaska in May and we ended up having to buy lighter jackets. I have been hearing that people going in July have had to buy warmer clothes because they were freezing. Does anyone have any suggestions

Bill I have sailed Alaska many times including three times in July.

Each time was different.

You may have warm weather and want to wear shorts some of the days.

It may be cooler and you will need to layer clothing.

It may be rainy.

You just never know.

I would check the forecast shortly before you go but even that is subject to change.

I would bring a water proof jacket with you with a hood.

And clothing for warm and cool weather should the forecast not be conclusive.

If you are sailing Glacier Bay it will still be on the cooler side so you'll want to layer some clothing.

Keith

Does anyone have any suggestions

Yes: Understand that the weather is varied and somewhat unpredictable, and prepare for multiple weather scenarios.

There is no way to say definitively what the weather will be like during your particular cruise dates. Check the weather forecast a day or two before you leave, and make sure you check every port where you'll stop. But understand that this means you may be getting a forecast that is anywhere from 3-10 days out. I'm sure you know from your own city/town forecast that checking a forecast that far in advance is only somewhat accurate, so in all honesty you'll want to be prepared for weather that is both better and worse than predicted.

The key? Pack layers. Take at least a pair or two of shorts in case it's particularly warm, but have jeans or long pants as well. Throw a pair of tights/leggings in to layer underneath if it winds up being unseasonably chilly. The tights/leggings can also be worn alone, under a tunic top or t-shirt dress. Take both short and long-sleeved t-shirts, a lightweight sweater or two, and a light fleece jacket or vest, and a lightweight all-weather jacket, then layer whatever combination of tops is needed from day-to-day. With this combo, you can simply wear a t-shirt on the warmest of days, add a sweater and/or fleece as needed for chill, and the jacket as needed for rain/wind.

Thanks so much Keith and Meg. I had hoped to pack light but I guess that is not possible for Alaska. My DH always complains that I overpack but in this case it seems to be warranted. Thanks again for your advice.

Bily

Thanks so much Keith and Meg. I had hoped to pack light but I guess that is not possible for Alaska. My DH always complains that I overpack but in this case it seems to be warranted. Thanks again for your advice.

Bily

You're welcome, and while an Alaska itinerary makes it more challenging to pack in a carry-on only, I think you can still pack somewhat lightly. In the example I gave, a lightweight sweater and lightweight fleece jacket or vest don't take up much room and can be worn repeatedly as simply a layering piece for warmth. They key is choosing these items in lightweight materials. A thin wool, crew neck sweater can be just as warm as a bulky, cable knit, turtleneck cotton sweater, and a good quality fleece can be likewise thin but warm. Jeans an be worn over and over without needing to be washed after every single wear. Put on a different t-shirt every day, but if you just accept that you're going to send a load of laundry out mid-cruise, you can get away with 4 or 5 tees. For evenings, stick with 2-3 neutral bottoms and a few dressier tops that mix and match, rather than 7 completely different outfits. Nobody cares if you wear the same top or bottom to dinner a couple of times, and unless you spill something they'll stay clean enough to wear again.

I'm doing an Alaska cruise in June, and will pretty much follow my own advice as I've given it above. I expect to take my medium sized suitcase...bigger than a carry on, but definitely smaller than my big, max-size-the-airline-will-allow suitcase. That and my large travel purse will be it.

You're welcome, and while an Alaska itinerary makes it more challenging to pack in a carry-on only, I think you can still pack somewhat lightly. In the example I gave, a lightweight sweater and lightweight fleece jacket or vest don't take up much room and can be worn repeatedly as simply a layering piece for warmth. They key is choosing these items in lightweight materials. A thin wool, crew neck sweater can be just as warm as a bulky, cable knit, turtleneck cotton sweater, and a good quality fleece can be likewise thin but warm. Jeans an be worn over and over without needing to be washed after every single wear. Put on a different t-shirt every day, but if you just accept that you're going to send a load of laundry out mid-cruise, you can get away with 4 or 5 tees. For evenings, stick with 2-3 neutral bottoms and a few dressier tops that mix and match, rather than 7 completely different outfits. Nobody cares if you wear the same top or bottom to dinner a couple of times, and unless you spill something they'll stay clean enough to wear again.

I'm doing an Alaska cruise in June, and will pretty much follow my own advice as I've given it above. I expect to take my medium sized suitcase...bigger than a carry on, but definitely smaller than my big, max-size-the-airline-will-allow suitcase. That and my large travel purse will be it.

We are doing a cruise tour HAL June 13 starting in Vancouver ending in Anchorage can I pick your brain on excursions? THanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums