*Photo Review* Serenade of the Seas // New England & Canada 10/9/16

Seriously, how did I miss your photo review? It was great to relive the cruise through your eyes! I've literally just finished uploading all of my pictures (only took 3 months) and thinking about posting my photo review now that I have cruising on the brain again! It was a great cruise and I'm already counting down to our next one!:)

Seriously, how did I miss your photo review? It was great to relive the cruise through your eyes! I've literally just finished uploading all of my pictures (only took 3 months) and thinking about posting my photo review now that I have cruising on the brain again! It was a great cruise and I'm already counting down to our next one!:)

I should have emailed you the link! Maybe I just assumed you would find it! I would LOVE to re-live the cruise through your eyes! Your photos have a lot more love and attention put into them! I guess I will keep you around [emoji2]

Can't wait to cruise the Pacific with you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by alainamarie

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the great review! It's nice to read both of yours, and read what each one of you found to be important. We're considering doing this itinerary for a 2nd time (first being in 2001) in 2018.

Thank you so much for reading! It was so neat reading a review from her perspective. She is a much better photographer than I am (with a great camera, too!), so that's what I enjoyed even more than my own review. :)

-Alaina

I just came across your review w/photos. I'm going on a shorter NE cruise on the Serenade on Oct 15th with a bunch of my friends (8 gals creating mayhem). Reason I picked RC is because it stops at Bar Harbor. Even though I lived in Brunswick ME another lifetime ago, I never went that far north. I sincerely appreciate the comments & photos of the ship. Have to agree with you re the Windjammer. I've been on several RC ships and its hit or miss with the food selection. That said, its hard to go hungry on a cruise ship. Thank you so very much for sharing your adventure and now I have to wait umpteen months 'til my cruise!

I just came across your review w/photos. I'm going on a shorter NE cruise on the Serenade on Oct 15th with a bunch of my friends (8 gals creating mayhem). Reason I picked RC is because it stops at Bar Harbor. Even though I lived in Brunswick ME another lifetime ago, I never went that far north. I sincerely appreciate the comments & photos of the ship. Have to agree with you re the Windjammer. I've been on several RC ships and its hit or miss with the food selection. That said, its hard to go hungry on a cruise ship. Thank you so very much for sharing your adventure and now I have to wait umpteen months 'til my cruise!

Thank you so much for reading! Sounds like you will have a blast. Smart move on including Bar Harbor. My absolute favorite port! Acadia is gorgeous! I enjoyed our excursion as well as our stop in Kennebunkport at the Portland stop.

My friend Heather's review is way more thorough than mine, so be sure to check it out!

-Alaina

• 4 weeks later...

Alaina the reviews you & Heather posted were great. We too am from Louisiana & have never sailed RCCL but are considering this cruise for October. We have sailed mostly NCL. Would you say the 2 cruise lines are comparable? NCL offers the same itinerary for the Gem but out of NYC. Not thrilled about going to NYC. Being from Louisiana we never are too thrilled with cruise line food. Any additional advice that you can give us about this cruise or sightseeing in Boston would be greatly appreciated.

Alaina the reviews you & Heather posted were great. We too am from Louisiana & have never sailed RCCL but are considering this cruise for October. We have sailed mostly NCL. Would you say the 2 cruise lines are comparable? NCL offers the same itinerary for the Gem but out of NYC. Not thrilled about going to NYC. Being from Louisiana we never are too thrilled with cruise line food. Any additional advice that you can give us about this cruise or sightseeing in Boston would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading! I've never sailed Norwegian, so I cannot offer a comparison. I've only sailed Carnival, Celebrity, and Royal. Celebrity is my favorite, but Royal is a close second.

You will love Boston, especially in October. Stay near Copley Square - so much is walking distance. (Book now!) We were at a Marriott by the Prudential Center and it was perfect. Eat at Troquet on Boylston. Get a city pass or go card if you want to see the city - best value and we got our money's worth on the one day go card.

Enjoy and let me know if you have any other questions!

Alaina

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, Alaina, for a very enjoyable and detailed review.

Since I'll be going on this itinerary ++, I have a question about Peggy Cove -- you said that you felt sick on the way there. Was it because of the road? Also, I keep reading somewhat different views about this place - some say is amazing, others -- not worth the trip.

What do you think?

Best wishes, and hat down for being an oncology nurse, Dani

Thank you, Alaina, for a very enjoyable and detailed review.

Since I'll be going on this itinerary ++, I have a question about Peggy Cove -- you said that you felt sick on the way there. Was it because of the road? Also, I keep reading somewhat different views about this place - some say is amazing, others -- not worth the trip.

What do you think?

Best wishes, and hat down for being an oncology nurse, Dani

Thanks so much for reading!

I get carsick from time to time, so me not feeling well on the way to Peggy's Cove was just bad timing. That in combination with not eating much that morning just had my tummy upset. Once we had an amazing lunch at Bicycle Thief (highly recommend!), I felt completely fine.

I think it's worth it and heather and I have different views on it. I could have spent 30 minutes there and would have be satisfied. Heather wanted to spend hours there. It really is a beautiful area and took around an hour to get to.

I got the pictures I wanted and grew tired of the surplus of people there on various excursions. People who dislike it are probably people not wanting to be surrounded by people in a small area. It really is beautiful no matter how you toss the dice. You will enjoy it if you choose to go!

-Alaina

Once we had an amazing lunch at Bicycle Thief (highly recommend!), I felt completely fine.

I think it's worth it and heather and I have different views on it. I could have spent 30 minutes there and would have be satisfied. People who dislike it are probably people not wanting to be surrounded by people in a small area. It really is beautiful no matter how you toss the dice. You will enjoy it if you choose to go!

-Alaina

Alaina, thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated.

I've took notice of the Bicycle Thief.

I think I'll play it by the ear, and not pre-book anything, just research "on the spot options" if the weather will be nice :D

Alaina, thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated.

I've took notice of the Bicycle Thief.

I think I'll play it by the ear, and not pre-book anything, just research "on the spot options" if the weather will be nice :D

You'll enjoy whatever you decide to do. There was also a hop on and off tour that I didn't take any pictures during. If you're interested in doing the Titanic cemetery, just know you'll have to take a cab. That was a frequently asked question. :)

• 10 months later...

Since this thread was "resurrected:D", I'll just update that we were very lucky with the weather the day we docked at Halifax, and just in front of the terminal was a taxi station, with rates posted for "hiring" a taxi per hour.

It was either 50$ US or 50$ Canadian $ for 6 persons in the taxi. We opted for the "Canadian version" since it was cheaper...

We found on board 2 other Israeli couples and took the taxi to Peggy Cove for a total of 3 hours.

We spent about 45 min there, and were early, before the buses started to arrive.

It was beautiful, impressive and well worth the one hour drive in each direction.

Since this thread was "resurrected:D", I'll just update that we were very lucky with the weather the day we docked at Halifax, and just in front of the terminal was a taxi station, with rates posted for "hiring" a taxi per hour.

It was either 50$ US or 50$ Canadian $ for 6 persons in the taxi. We opted for the "Canadian version" since it was cheaper...

We found on board 2 other Israeli couples and took the taxi to Peggy Cove for a total of 3 hours.

We spent about 45 min there, and were early, before the buses started to arrive.

It was beautiful, impressive and well worth the one hour drive in each direction.

So glad to hear you enjoyed Halifax! I’m glad we saw Peggy’s Cove, but we also enjoyed our hop on/off tour. Bicycle Thief was delish as well.

Take care!

Alaina

I will be on The Serenade in 6 weeks, and loved reading about what to expect (sometimes forewarned, is forearmed ;) ), and seeing all the pictures of the ship. I took a New England cruise a few years back, and it was lovely to relive it through your pictures. Thanks so much for your review!

I will be on The Serenade in 6 weeks, and loved reading about what to expect (sometimes forewarned, is forearmed ;) ), and seeing all the pictures of the ship. I took a New England cruise a few years back, and it was lovely to relive it through your pictures. Thanks so much for your review!

So glad you found some use in this review! My friend, Heather, has a review with even more photos of the ship! She and I LOVED the movie theatre, so be sure to catch a movie (arrive early)! [emoji897] [emoji327]

So glad you found some use in this review! My friend, Heather, has a review with even more photos of the ship! She and I LOVED the movie theatre, so be sure to catch a movie (arrive early)! [emoji897] [emoji327]

Can you post a link to your friend Heather's review? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Her screen name is HeatherC430, so you can look her up and click on her photo review in her signature. I do not have a direct link.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2437488

I found it!! Took longer than it should. [emoji3]

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2437488

I found it!! Took longer than it should. [emoji3]

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I'll take a look at it now.

I enjoyed your review. Happy Travels wherever you go next.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app