Amuse-Bouche, live from the Muse, April 21-May 7, Port Everglades to Dublin

spinnaker2

Service is a bit slow in the dining rooms....can't figure out whether it is lack of staff or experience. I don't like the crowded feeling in Atlantide -- it is dark and difficult for servers.

This is very sobering -- esp. because more guests will be boarding in NY. Surely Muse has been afloat long enough that lack of experience should not be an excuse for slow service in crowded venue.

Will appreciate updates.

As my ancestors came to this country by sailing here from Sweden and Greece, in the early 1900's, I tried to invoke their spirits as we arrived in Manhattan. I hope they heard me.

Such lovely words to accompany your lovely photographs. Thank you for bringing the experience alive for us.

This is very sobering -- esp. because more guests will be boarding in NY. Surely Muse has been afloat long enough that lack of experience should not be an excuse for slow service in crowded venue.
I wonder if there was a major crew change over after the two circumnavigations of the South American continent this past fall/winter? We never found the service lacking, so hopefully, on board management will get the crew up to speed quickly for the sail across the pond, especially when one considers that 8 of the next 9 voyages are completely full.

I had intended to post notes from THE MUSE CRUISE so will just tag along with Spinnaker's insightful comments. My first time on this gorgeous new ship. I know there have been positive/negative opinions -- mine is open -- and it is different and a bit hard to get used to. I know it will grow on me. I do admire the sophisticated and muted soft color scheme. And the Venetian Lounge is a knockout.. Marco Sangiacomo is Captain, and Paolo and Jimmy are at their usual posts. Niki Sepsas is one of the destination lecturers - one of the best I've ever heard. Service is a bit slow in the dining rooms....can't figure out whether it is lack of staff or experience. I don't like the crowded feeling in Atlantide -- it is dark and difficult for servers. I guess I'll get used to that too. We have yet to have a Meet & Mingle but Jimmy says it will happen aft er New York guests board. I must say the finishes, trim and quality of furniture in all areas are exceptional. Absolutely first rate. And of course these observations are simply IMO. Stay tuned.

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

WOW!! Super double WOW for the excellent sail-in and other pictures from Spins/Candy. Great above background and details from Mary Ann, etc. Keep it coming!!! Want to know any and all details for what folks will be doing in New York City, etc. Nice to see that Niki Sepsas is one of your destination lecturers. As I re-call, he was our speaker as we sailed up the Norway Coast on the Silver Cloud in July 2010.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Spins, I was also moved by your photos of the sail-in to New York City. Thanks for sharing your ancestral history with us. I do hope that you and Mr. Spins have a great time in our Big Apple, and probably take on a Broadway show. Please let us know your experience! Bon voyage after sail-away.

We’re on board as well. We boarded in NY. So easy it was almost bizarre—only ones boarding, got right on before noon and went straight to our cabin!

Staff are great, friendly and helpful. Lunch in La Terrazza was just what we needed. We met friends in Dolce Vita and then had dinner in Atlantide at 7:00. Sommelier was present (and right there at lunch too) and helpful in picking a great red wine. I thought service was paced well.

dead0a7ab207500d16e971d25d020189.jpg

Last night the storm clouds gathered above us.

Dinner at the Grill was fun and the food was good.

After a very long day we headed to the Arts cafe for decadent chocolate truffles.

Alex, the bartender greeted us with hugs. We haven't seen him since our cruise from Peru on the Muse and he left midway for vacation.

We enjoyed our chocolate and then, our stomachs filled and our brains exhausted, fell into a deep and comfortable sleep.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by spinnaker2

ce60a4be12eade76786173041a3d3695.jpg

And now, this is the view of the pool deck which I captured from the tv in the mirror.

You can see clearly that it is RAINING.

This is of course what the prognosticator and sometime weather man, Jimmy, predicted.

9310337c3bfec82a6805685efd8763b1.jpg

The above is the view from the bridge cam. Don't know what that artifact is in the middle.

Today is a day of rain in in the Big Apple.

Many pax spent all day yesterday exploring, walking, visiting museums, historic sites, Broadway and just enjoying the glorious spring weather in New York. Today will mean rain gear!

You can see clearly that it is RAINING. This is of course what the prognosticator and sometime weather man, Jimmy, predicted. Today is a day of rain in in the Big Apple. Many pax spent all day yesterday exploring, walking, visiting museums, historic sites, Broadway and just enjoying the glorious spring weather in New York. Today will mean rain gear!

Sorry, Spins, to hear about the rain. Glad you did get in a full day for exploring with some of the great museums in New York City, walking around, etc. Good luck for surviving that rain today. Yes, want more pictures and details.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 38,292 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Wow Spinnaker2, what a superb photo. So sorry the rain has caught up with you.

YES!! Super agree with Silver Spectre that this sunrise/NYC wide picture is spectacular. Very unique and special. I have seen many pictures from New York City and there are tons of photographers there. BUT, this is one of the absolute "Best of the Best". Just checked the weather for that city and they are saying fog, rain, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 200,520 views for this posting.

I see your in the Hudson heading out. The rain has stopped and it's a little brighter so I hope your sail away is great also hope you had a good stay. Have a great crossing!!!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

e26c401ae3d8a8bbf8265c66bfc556a8.jpg

Well thanks all.

Hyper...it's pretty foggy.

Horns sounding often.

Fog is both romantic and freaky.

It's like a coat of eeriness and a little scary. It has its own sound, a muffled sound. We are making our way through the waves, the ship is creaking and the fog horn blowing frequently. We are enshrouded in heavy mist of nothingness. I can see the steel colored sea from my balcony, but not much else beyond 20 or so feet.

One can only imagine what sailors felt before computers guided them.

And we begin our serious journey leaving the USA.

The Muse is sounding her own horns, announcing her presence. Get ready, here we come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well thanks all.

Hyper...it's pretty foggy.

Horns sounding often.

Fog is both romantic and freaky.

It's like a coat of eeriness and a little scary. It has its own sound, a muffled sound. We are making our way through the waves, the ship is creaking and the fog horn blowing frequently. We are enshrouded in heavy mist of nothingness. I can see the steel colored sea from my balcony, but not much else beyond 20 or so feet.

One can only imagine what sailors felt before computers guided them.

And we begin our serious journey leaving the USA.

The Muse is sounding her own horns, announcing her presence. Get ready, here we come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Spins, your writing skills have placed me right alongside you, sharing your sensations during this journey. You may be a serious writer and we don't know it...

The two skyline/bridge shots were postcards, right? (haha!) They were that beautiful!

Also, like others, enjoying your writing.....looking forward to hearing more. We love TA's!

Continue to have fun!

John and Linda

We awoke to fog and then for a brief time it lifted.

Now it is back. Fog horns blaring.

Wind is about 40 knots and we have changed our course, in fact turned back towards Nantucket Island. We have a medical emergency and the passenger will be medievaced shortly.

Yes, we headed back to Nantucket. Now going very slowly waiting for the Coast Guard helicopter. It’s very foggy! The ships outside lights came on a few minutes ago so hopefully the chopper will be here soon. Must be very scary for the person needing to leave the ship.

Apparently the helipad is above the Panorama Lounge. The crew asked everyone to leave there and the Arts Cafe just below it. The outside decks aft are blocked off. It’s been over an hour since we left the Arts Cafe. I’m sure this is a very delicate operation.

Very sorry to hear about the medical problem. I hope the person is ok also their other half left behind that must wonder the outcome. I have seen this a few times and it looks very scary for all involved. Many thanks to the coast guard for their response. As I get older this is the thing I worry about most while onboard, the bright side is it happened close to land, not the middle of the north ocean.

We awoke to fog and then for a brief time it lifted. Now it is back. Fog horns blaring. Wind is about 40 knots and we have changed our course, in fact turned back towards Nantucket Island. We have a medical emergency and the passenger will be medievaced shortly.

The person has been safely put aboard the helicopter and is heading towards land. It was as quite a process! We had a great view from Spaccanapoli. I’ll try to post pictures later. Hats off to the Coast Guard and Silversea crews!

Sorry about the fog, wind and medical emergency. Appreciate all of these updates and follow-up. Hopefully all will work out in good order. Fortunately the ship was near shore where a helicopter evacuation could be accomplished. YES, look forward to seeing any pictures and learning more.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 224,535 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923