Another which ship question: Breakaway, Escape, Encore or Epic -- West/East/South?

FrugalMother99

Planning a trip for Christmas week 2019 for a family of 5 (ages 20 to 64) so I have plenty of time to research & decide. Since we've only vacationed in Mexico & Jamaica, the majority of the ports will be new to us. Our only cruise was a 12 day Mediterranean cruise aboard NCL Spirit, so these mega ships will be new to us too. The cost of each cruise is relatively the same except the San Juan departure (about $1K less), but I'm assuming the cost of a flight to Puerto Rico vs Florida will be significantly higher.

I'm aware of the Epic "wave" rooms & bathroom design and that the Encore is scheduled to sail Fall 2019. I highlighted which island we will visit on Christmas Eve & Day (if that matters). Thanks in advance ... I'm aware that the decision is up to us, but I'm looking for the opinions of seasoned cruisers; especially to these specific locations or a holiday cruise.

12/21-28 Breakaway = Port Canaveral FL / Grand Stirrup Caye Bahamas / @ Sea / Ocho Rios Jamaica / Georgetown Grand Cayman / Cozumel Mexico/ @ Sea / Port Canaveral

12/21-28 Escape = Miami FL / @ Sea / Roatan Honduras / Harvest Caye Belize / Costa Maya Mexico / Cozumel Mexico / @ Sea / Miami

12/22-29 Encore = Miami / @ Sea / San Juan Puerto Rico (from 4 - 11:59 pm) / St Thomas USVI / Tortola BVI / 2 days @ Sea / Miami

12/22-29 Epic = San Juan Puerto/ @ Sea / Barbados / St Lucia / St Kitts / St Maarten / St Thomas / San Juan @ 5:30 am

Regarding flight prices, what airline do you fly? If you are planning far ahead and flying Southwest, if you buy tickets the morning they are available, prices are generally reasonable. You have to act quickly, though.

As an example, we flew from Albany to San Juan for $128/person in November. In February, we flew from Albany to FLL for $107/person. So the price difference wasn't a big deal.

We really like the Southern itinerary and plan on sailing on the Epic for a third time in 2020 out of San Juan.

Good luck in making your decision!

We usually fly United because of all the frequent flyer miles my hubby accumulates, but there are so many blackout dates during the holidays. Southwest has always been a good 2nd choice, but the wait for their sales is so frustrating -- right now SW only offers flights thru 10/31/18 & we're patiently waiting to book flights for this Christmas.

I was drawn to the southern itinerary because of the variety of countries/islands the ship visits.

12/21-28 Breakaway = Port Canaveral FL / Grand Stirrup Caye Bahamas / @ Sea / Ocho Rios Jamaica / Georgetown Grand Cayman / Cozumel Mexico/ @ Sea / Port Canaveral

12/21-28 Escape = Miami FL / @ Sea / Roatan Honduras / Harvest Caye Belize / Costa Maya Mexico / Cozumel Mexico / @ Sea / Miami

12/22-29 Encore = Miami / @ Sea / San Juan Puerto Rico (from 4 - 11:59 pm) / St Thomas USVI / Tortola BVI / 2 days @ Sea / Miami

12/22-29 Epic = San Juan Puerto/ @ Sea / Barbados / St Lucia / St Kitts / St Maarten / St Thomas / San Juan @ 5:30 am

Thanks for all the opinions. I thought it would be "fun" for our all-adult family of 5 to go away for the holidays. I'm still torn...

The Escape itinerary seems interesting with an excursion to the Chacchoben ruins from the Costa Maya port -- but it's Christmas Day -- I'm assuming there will be excursions.

Encore ports in San Juan from 4-11:59 pm on Christmas Eve night -- will "anything" be open? Basically this itinerary is all about being on the ship with stops in St. Thomas (Christmas Day) & Tortola.

I really like the Epic itinerary, BUT can't get past the bathroom & stateroom layout (hubby/wife/teen son). :)