10:40 flight SJU after a transatlantic, opinions on making

Motorman23

Dear Fellow CC TA experts,

My wife and I had the perfect return flights set up with AA after our Nov5-17 Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas Transatlantic. A 2pm departure, a 2hr connect in PHL and then home to ROC until.... AA came out with new schedules and eliminated all flights that could get me to Roc that day unless I take a 10:40 departure out of SJU. My question is.... what is the likelihood if I self depart and get through USDA first thing of making a 10:40 flight out of SJU knowing my cruise was a transatlantic. I am concerned because I heard that these TA's tend to take longer to clear sine they are coming from Europe. Looking for opinions from those that have done this type of trip.

Mike

I wouldn't think so. It looks like you are scheduled to disembark at 8 AM (or at least the one cruise I found from EUR to SJ is - I did not look hard)

You would definitely at a minimum need to do self-walk off with ALL your luggage (typically a decent amount for a TA), clear customs (a porter can speed this) and get to the airport by 9:30 to ensure time to check luggage (taxi).

That's always POSSIBLE but very little room for error. If you get in at 7, you have more space, but still tight.

And I know people will say 'I've done it.' But I never want to bet travel on everything going exactly right.

Edit: I am also assuming arriving at Pan AM - which is closer to the airport and doesn't need to deal with OSJ traffic.

Edited by Loonbeam

If my own transatlantic experience is any indication, U.S. Customs or whatever they're called now decided to check each and every person on board, and many people lost their AM flights, even their early PM flights. Since I live in San Juan they let me off the boat close to 3;00 PM.

Thank you to both of you for your responses. I am sticking with the 2:10pm flight and will enjoy an overnight in PHL. At least I can drive home if needed.

Mike

At PHL (my home base) there is a Marriott attached to the airport. It's the most expensive but most convenient. Your travel insurance may actually cover hotel due to a flight change, check policy. There are a number of others with shuttle services, I prefer the Four Points or Aloft. There's also minute suites in the airport itself, but I will assume you will be claiming luggage.

At PHL (my home base) there is a Marriott attached to the airport. It's the most expensive but most convenient. Your travel insurance may actually cover hotel due to a flight change, check policy. There are a number of others with shuttle services, I prefer the Four Points or Aloft. There's also minute suites in the airport itself, but I will assume you will be claiming luggage.

Thanks, yes we will be claiming bags in PHL and then reloading them the next day. AA says since its a continuation I wont have to pay again, we will see. I had planned to try insurance since it will be a 12 hr delay vs the original flight but since it is booked well ahead of the date I would be surprised if they give me anything. We are staying at the Hampton Inn on Bartram Ave, they have a shuttle, decent prices and good ratings. Oh well its just a short stay.

Mike

I'm on the same ship but my flight is at 405 to philly. I will say that last years ta from San Juan to Rome the jewel collected our passports and we disembarked with self carry very quickly. But..on my ta with the rhapsody last fall arriving in Tampa the passports weren't collected (you get them back before the first port) and it was hours until we got off. Worst disembarking ever. I think you played it safely and correctly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app