Pre cruise France/ Post cruise Italy

RCnotcola

We will be taking a Viking Grand European cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. We plan on flying from the states to Paris, spend 3 or 4 days in France before taking the euro train to Amsterdam. Then post cruise plan on taking the euro train from Budapest to Italy, spending 2 days in each of Venice, Florence, and Rome before flying back to the states. What were your experiences taking trains pre and post cruise with arms full of luggage? I'm going in Oct 2020. I did get free airfare but I paid the $50 per person upgrade to have more flexibility for our flights. With this upgrade will I be able to fly into Paris and back from Rome when we want? Also any hotel recommendations in Paris and Italy?

We will be taking a Viking Grand European cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. We plan on flying from the states to Paris, spend 3 or 4 days in France before taking the euro train to Amsterdam. Then post cruise plan on taking the euro train from Budapest to Italy, spending 2 days in each of Venice, Florence, and Rome before flying back to the states. What were your experiences taking trains pre and post cruise with arms full of luggage? I'm going in Oct 2020. I did get free airfare but I paid the $50 per person upgrade to have more flexibility for our flights. With this upgrade will I be able to fly into Paris and back from Rome when we want? Also any hotel recommendations in Paris and Italy?

My suggestion is that, at least in Italy, you are trying to do too much. You don't have 2 days in each location, as you will be travelling on one of the days. Pick one (or maximum 2 places) and give them a bit more time. I think you will get more out of it.

As to luggage, my only suggestion is that, if you have a checked suitcase (maximum 25") do not have a rolling carryon. I have always used a backpack with the suitcase and it is doable. Otherwise, have a bag that you can attach to the suitcase. You do not want to be rolling 2 suitcases. Also, do not overpack! Depending on the train, you may have to lift your suitcase up onto the train.

My suggestion is that, at least in Italy, you are trying to do too much. You don't have 2 days in each location, as you will be travelling on one of the days. Pick one (or maximum 2 places) and give them a bit more time. I think you will get more out of it.

As to luggage, my only suggestion is that, if you have a checked suitcase (maximum 25") do not have a rolling carryon. I have always used a backpack with the suitcase and it is doable. Otherwise, have a bag that you can attach to the suitcase. You do not want to be rolling 2 suitcases. Also, do not overpack! Depending on the train, you may have to lift your suitcase up onto the train.

I agree to limit to 2 cities in Italy. My choice would be Venice and Rome. Venice is not rolling suitcase friendly! Make sure you are able to lift/carry your belongings. It is SO worth it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gnome12 is right about Italy. You are trying to do too much in too little time. Stick to one or at the very most two cities. 6 days is not too much to spend in any one of them.

Getting from Budapest to Venice, for example, by train will take you a minimum of 10 hours with at least one change. From Budapest to Rome would add five or six hours to that with more changes. You should fly. There are lots of budget flights available.

There should be no problem flying into Paris and home from Rome. It’s call an “open jaw” and I imagine that Viking can arrange that.

Taking the train from Paris to Amsterdam is a good plan. Take the high speed Thalys and it will be about 3 hours. Just don’t burden yourself with too much luggage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums