Seattle R/T Alaska - Westerdam or Amsterdam?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:04 PM.
48 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
We want to go to Sitka, and the only ships that stop there are the Eurodam, Westerdam and Amsterdam. Since we just sailed the Eurodam last year, we thought about trying another ship. I've read mixed reviews about both. We are not averse to taking the Eurodam again if that's the best one. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Holland America Maasdam - Canada/New England 8/14
Holland America Eurodam - Thanksgiving week 2015
112,568 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
We have sailed on all 3 ships.

Eurodam has changed quite a few things on the ship since you last sailed on her.

We have done Alaska a few times on the Westerdam.

Very hard to choose. Are all the other ports doing the same itineraries? Do they all have the same amount of time in each port? I always check that carefully as we like more port time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
Central FL
9,644 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
We, also, have been on both ships. I have only been to Sitka on the Amsterdam. check on cruisetimetables.com to see what other ships will be with you at this port. How many passengers will be walking around this small port and going on the excursions. Amsterdam is a smaller older ship with decor of the 1920's. It is not as old as that but gives you the feeling of the 20's!

Unless things have changed, Sitka gives you the atmosphere of Alaska more than the towns that have changed for the tourists. Euro would be my next choice
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol
Queen of Bermuda 4/65 * Carnival Festivale 1995 * AMSTERDAM Alaska 7/02 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 1/05 * WESTERDAM Baltic 9/05 * NOORDAM West Mediterranean 6/06 * VEENDAM Western Caribbean 12/06 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 4/07 * STATENDAM Alaska Cruise-Tour 9/07 * ZUIDERDAM Eastern Caribbean 12/07 * AMSTERDAM Panama Canal transit 4/08 * EURODAM Bahamas 10/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/09 * NIEUW AMSTERDAM Eastern Mediterranean 9/10 * RYNDAM Western Caribbean 12/10 * VEENDAM Bermuda 10/11 * MAASDAM Southern Caribbean 3/12 * PRINSENDAM TransAtlantic 5/13 * Disney Dream Bahamas 11/13 * EURODAM Viking Passage 8/14 * NIEUW AMSTERDAM Eastern Caribbean 12/14 * EURODAM Western Caribbean 11/15 * KONINGSDAM Bahamas 11/16 * OOSTERDAM Western Caribbean 12/16

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
710 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
I've been to Sitka on both ships. The Amsterdam is our favorite but it's the smaller of the two (1300 passengers vs. 1800 passengers). We're doing the Westerdam again this year and are hoping to do the Amsterdam 2 week next year.

We love Sitka. It is truly more of the true Alaska experience than what you see shoreside at Juneau or Ketchikan. Sitka is easy to walk around. My husband uses a mobility scooter and we put anywhere from 3-6 miles on it each time we visit. Our favorite is to head to the right from the tender pier, along the marina area, and end up at the totem poles. The park is very scooter friendly and has several trails. We eventually head back to town and do some looking. It's nice to not have the Diamonds International type shops.

Enjoy Sitka. The sail-in is very scenic and the people are very friendly.

Karen
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Ruby Princess - July 14, 2018
Eurodam - July 21, 2018

Completed:
Amsterdam - July 3, 2017
Westerdam - July 9, 2016
Crown Princess - July 2, 2016
Westerdam - July 11, 2015
Crown Princess - July 4, 2015
Amsterdam - June 22, 2014
Oosterdam - June 23, 2013
Amsterdam - July 27, 2012
Westerdam - July 2011
Amsterdam - July 2010
Westerdam - July 2009
Golden Princess - July 2008
Oosterdam - July 2006
48 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
The port times are almost identical, within 30 minutes of each other. I'd rather take a northbound or southbound trip out of Vancouver, but we are going with friends who prefer Seattle. I was surprised to see so few ships going to Sitka.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Warwick, R.I. , USA
38,895 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
All else being equal, I would choose the Amsterdam. That ship is smaller, yet has a lot of outdoor space where you can sit and watch the scenery go by. Much of that space is sheltered from the elements, too! (which you can get a lot of in Alaska )

But rarely is all else equal. Besides port times, compare which days of the week the ship sails on, and how many other ships share the ports with you. That can make a huge difference in your enjoyment of any given port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CCASE/LSSE

Chocolate is to women what duct tape is to men.
It fixes everything.
Seattle
491 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
It might also depend or whether you want to see Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm (both are good). Also they leave on different days, that might make a difference on the flight.

My sister, brother and I chose the Westerdam as it goes to Glacier Bay where I used to to research on the glaciers.
Seattle
491 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by mtiffany24
It might also depend or whether you want to see Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm (both are good). Also they leave on different days, that might make a difference on the flight.

My sister, brother and I chose the Westerdam as it goes to Glacier Bay where I used to to research on the glaciers.
Oops, it looks like the Amsterdam visits the Hubbard Glacier, not Tracy Arm. Also a spectacular glacier.
Montgomery County, Maryland
3,986 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Mrsfrz
We want to go to Sitka, and the only ships that stop there are the Eurodam, Westerdam and Amsterdam. Since we just sailed the Eurodam last year, we thought about trying another ship. I've read mixed reviews about both. We are not averse to taking the Eurodam again if that's the best one. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
FWIW we chose Amsterdam - 14-nights (I think that is what limited us to Amsterdam.)
Seattle, WA area
2,154 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
We think the Amsterdam wins hands down! The others are good but Amsterdam is the best. It is the ship they use for their World Tours.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
48 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
I just realized the Eurodam is not sailing to Alaska this year, so it's Westerdam or Amsterdam. What do you who have been prefer, Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier? It also says Amsterdam goes through Puget Sound. I thought there was only one way out of Seattle. Oh, the decisions we have to make! Good idea to check what's in port too. Thanks for the suggestions.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Palm City, Fl
2,060 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
The nieuw amsterdam is doing her first ak season this year.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the
deaf can hear." - Mark Twain
Poulsbo/ Seattle Area
1,789 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
I just realized the Eurodam is not sailing to Alaska this year, so it's Westerdam or Amsterdam. What do you who have been prefer, Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier? It also says Amsterdam goes through Puget Sound. I thought there was only one way out of Seattle. Oh, the decisions we have to make! Good idea to check what's in port too. Thanks for the suggestions.
I personally prefer the Amsterdam, because it is quite a bit smaller than the Westerdam!! We have cruised to Alaska many times, We have cruised Amsterdam the most, but also Statendam, and Zaandam, We have cruised on Westerdam and Oosterdam and Noordam, but the larger ships are sooooo far to walk from one end to the other. I have been to Glacier Bay quite a few times, but find Tracy Arm the most exciting!! all the corners of the Fjord, and
the views of the glacier are breathtaking... We had gone to Glacier Bay back in
the 1980s and again since 2000. There is a vast difference between then and now, because the glaciers are receeding... back in the 1980s Glacier bay was
exciting, but now one doesn't get very close , and I found it kind of boring,
saying that, I'm sure either glacier that HAL is going to is exciting and something one doesn't get to see everyday.... You need to go to Alaska more than once to get a good overview of the area.... Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!
carri
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Noordam-Mexican Riviera-12/8/84; Noordam-Alaska SB-5/27/88; Westerdam-Alaska NB-6/1/89; Carnival-Puerto Vallarta to LA-11/89; Noordam-NY-Panama Canal-Seattle-4/21/07; Celebrity Mercury-PNW-10/26/07; Amsterdam-Alaska RT-8/8/08; Celebrity Mercury PNW-10/10/08; Celebrity Infinity-Panama Canal-9/25/09; Zaandam-Circle Hawaii SD-Vancouver-4/6/10; Oosterdam-PNW-9/26/10; Amsterdam-14-day Alaska-6/1/12; Zaandam-14-day Alaska Collectors' Cruise 6/13; Noordam-Southern Wayfarer 11 days 1/6/14; Amsterdam-Alaska-8/10/14; Westerdam-Pacific Coastal-9/28/14
Poulsbo/ Seattle Area
1,789 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
The port times are almost identical, within 30 minutes of each other. I'd rather take a northbound or southbound trip out of Vancouver, but we are going with friends who prefer Seattle. I was surprised to see so few ships going to Sitka.
Sitka is one of our favorite ports on the 14day!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Noordam-Mexican Riviera-12/8/84; Noordam-Alaska SB-5/27/88; Westerdam-Alaska NB-6/1/89; Carnival-Puerto Vallarta to LA-11/89; Noordam-NY-Panama Canal-Seattle-4/21/07; Celebrity Mercury-PNW-10/26/07; Amsterdam-Alaska RT-8/8/08; Celebrity Mercury PNW-10/10/08; Celebrity Infinity-Panama Canal-9/25/09; Zaandam-Circle Hawaii SD-Vancouver-4/6/10; Oosterdam-PNW-9/26/10; Amsterdam-14-day Alaska-6/1/12; Zaandam-14-day Alaska Collectors' Cruise 6/13; Noordam-Southern Wayfarer 11 days 1/6/14; Amsterdam-Alaska-8/10/14; Westerdam-Pacific Coastal-9/28/14
Montgomery County, Maryland
3,986 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by carri cruiser
Sitka is one of our favorite ports on the 14day!
What have you done there? (We have a 14-day cruise planned & I've not yet decided what to do there yet.)
Naperville, IL
13,345 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
The Amsterdam goes to Tracy arm while the Westy goes to Glacier Bay.
Warwick, R.I. , USA
38,895 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
What do you who have been prefer, Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier? It also says Amsterdam goes through Puget Sound. I thought there was only one way out of Seattle.
I have been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier many times, in all sorts of weather.
On a good weather day, either one is thrilling! On a bad weather day, not worth getting out of bed for.

But assuming the weather is the same at both places, Glacier Bay is most of a full day sailing from one glacier to another, while seeing gorgeous scenery both close at hand, and off in the distance. Serene, quiet, grand.
Hubbard Glacier is one huge glacier at the end of a very pretty ride up Yakutat Bay. If you catch it right (I did only once) you will see sun reflecting off the ice & snow on the Mt. Elias range---probably the most breathtaking sight I have ever seen. You may see baby seals on the ice floes as you head up the bay. Such fun to see them sliding off the ice, then learning how to climb back up again. Just to slide right back off! The young do love to play!
Eventually, you turn a corner to see a massive field of ice in front of you.

Whichever one you go to, you won't be disappointed (unless there's so much fog you can't see a thing. sadly, that also happens).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CCASE/LSSE

Chocolate is to women what duct tape is to men.
It fixes everything.
Quilcene, Washington
2,580 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Both Amsterdam and Westerdam sail out of Seattle so the Puget Sound is the only way out

Westerdam is our favorite of the Vista sisters as the decor seems to be a lot more subdued and has a great crew. Westerdam also has Chocolate Seduction (at least still had it last September)- one of my favorite spots. More stateroom types on Westerdam- has actual Veranda cabins and Signature Suites ( all Verandas on Amsterdam are now "Vista Suites").

Amsterdam is smaller and more intimate and IMO a very elegant lady. More like the old ocean liner days.

Really depends on the ambiance you are looking for, how active and entertained you want to be on board, and your itinerary preferences.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Frank and Loren
Olympic Peninsula, WA
[email protected]l.com

+