Borrowing a piano to practice on

cirrus21

I’m going to be on the Norwegian Breakaway in June, and I have a huge state piano competition right when I get back. Do you guys think it is possible the cruise will let me borrow a piano just to keep my piece up?

I’m going to be on the Norwegian Breakaway in June, and I have a huge state piano competition right when I get back. Do you guys think it is possible the cruise will let me borrow a piano just to keep my piece up?

No

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So the answer is no.

But it never hurts to talk to the cruise director’s staff to see if any accommodation can be made. “Real” pianos are used for themed shows like dueling pianos. Most shows use electronic keyboards belonging to the performer. Most clubs are used for activities throughout the day.

You can ask, but don't expect to get permission, since most pianos are in public areas.

I agree that the best thing to do would be to ask the cruise director staff. There may be a piano available earlier in the day that is not being used by the entertainment staff. I think they would try to accommodate you.

This isn’t some joke. This competition is really important to me, and I was just looking for some advice. Please don’t be condescending and rude. Thank you

Serious answer: I was on a cruise on the Pearl onetime and as a suites guest, would have breakfast and lunch in Cagney's. One day after lunch I heard the most marvelous classical piano music coming out of the lounge next door, which was not officially open at the time, I poked my head in, and found a passenger there, playing the piano.

After commenting on how much I enjoyed the music, I found out that the passenger came up there every now and then to practice. I don't know if it was with NCL's permission or not, but the lounge was not open, so I assume there was no reason for permission to be denied if it had been requested. As a side note, that lounge on the Pearl (which also used to be Cagney's overflow seating) has since been moved and replaced by Moderno.

So, you might see if you can find a suitably unused piano for daytime practice...and if you want to be formal about it, ask.

Serious answer: I was on a cruise on the Pearl onetime and as a suites guest, would have breakfast and lunch in Cagney's. One day after lunch I heard the most marvelous classical piano music coming out of the lounge next door, which was not officially open at the time, I poked my head in, and found a passenger there, playing the piano.

After commenting on how much I enjoyed the music, I found out that the passenger came up there every now and then to practice. I don't know if it was with NCL's permission or not, but the lounge was not open, so I assume there was no reason for permission to be denied if it had been requested. As a side note, that lounge on the Pearl (which also used to be Cagney's overflow seating) has since been moved and replaced by Moderno.

So, you might see if you can find a suitably unused piano for daytime practice...and if you want to be formal about it, ask.

Thank you so much! I appreciate it

Contact Norwegian BEFORE you sail. But you also must realize when you ask a question, you will get either a yes or no. Was the competition a last minute entry or did you book the cruise knowing this was coming up after you returned? Very curious. I'm good friends of a Department Chair at Manhattan School of Music and I know he plans nothing BEFORE a scheduled concert. Between teaching, administrative duties and advising students, time management is no one priority.

Ramona

I have seen passengers playing piano on other cruise lines - have even seen a child being instructed by an adult - maybe grandmother. It was always in the morning - 8-10 time frame. If you ask before you sail and are told no, just ask again once on board and the answer might be different. Good luck.

Contact Norwegian BEFORE you sail. But you also must realize when you ask a question, you will get either a yes or no. Was the competition a last minute entry or did you book the cruise knowing this was coming up after you returned? Very curious. I'm good friends of a Department Chair at Manhattan School of Music and I know he plans nothing BEFORE a scheduled concert. Between teaching, administrative duties and advising students, time management is no one priority.

Ramona

I called many times to see what they would say, but every time the answer has been a “maybe.” They’ve also given me an email, but no one ever responded.

To reply to your question, I wrote “competition” for the sake of not having to explain, but since you asked, it’s actually a state convention performance. I did a competition last month and it wasn’t my best playing. I ended being an alternate for the performance, which I was fine with. It didn’t expect that anyone would give up their spot, but someone did. If the cruise says no, I know I can’t play at the convention anyways, so I’m just hoping they say yes.

I called many times to see what they would say, but every time the answer has been a “maybe.” They’ve also given me an email, but no one ever responded.

To reply to your question, I wrote “competition” for the sake of not having to explain, but since you asked, it’s actually a state convention performance. I did a competition last month and it wasn’t my best playing. I ended being an alternate for the performance, which I was fine with. It didn’t expect that anyone would give up their spot, but someone did. If the cruise says no, I know I can’t play at the convention anyways, so I’m just hoping they say yes.

I understand. Wasn't trying to rag on you but I know musicians.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you but as a new group exercise instructor, Aug will mark 6 months and the end of my internship. I'm scheduled for a Feb 2nd, 49 day cruise and I asked if I could do free ad hoc classes to keep my skills up. If not I'll just head to the gym, put on my head phones and teach invisible people.

Just a thought, can you bring along a small keyboard to practice as a last resort?

Ramona

I understand. Wasn't trying to rag on you but I know musicians.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you but as a new group exercise instructor, Aug will mark 6 months and the end of my internship. I'm scheduled for a Feb 2nd, 49 day cruise and I asked if I could do free ad hoc classes to keep my skills up. If not I'll just head to the gym, put on my head phones and teach invisible people.

Just a thought, can you bring along a small keyboard to practice as a last resort?

Ramona

I’ve thought of a buying a keyboard, but unfortunately, my piece happens to be one that has a lot of really high and low notes. I also need to use a dampening pedal. Thanks for your help though. Have fun on your cruise! Hope you can teach a real class

Go to the Meet & Greet (check in the Roll Call) as you'll receive a list of Officers - you will want to call one of them to ask.

I found my roll call and added myself to it, but I didn’t get or find a list of officers. Is there something I’m not seeing or another way to get it? Thank you!

I would just find a piano and start playing. As long as you are good, no one will say anything. My husband is a musician, and we had the entire family on a cruise celebrating his parents 50th wedding anniversary. His Dad had asked my husband to surprise his Mom with their wedding song. We all brought our drinks and gathered around to listen. So did quite a few other people, pretty soon, everyone was throwing out requests and my husband "played" for two hours. No one said, a word except when people recognized him on the ship and asked him where he was playing that night!!! It was a one time show!!!!

You can always bring your own piano :D

Cute but people have been way more clever with first time posts with unusual requests.

Try, try try again

That's an obnoxious post - what a real piece of work you must be. Jerk.

My son is a professional musician. He has just bought himself an electric portable piano with weighted key action and pedals, for carrying to gigs. Though he chose one with fewer keys an 88 key model was available. It was a few thousand dollars, but maybe you could hire one for the cruise and practIce with headphones in your cabin?

That's an obnoxious post - what a real piece of work you must be. Jerk.

Thanks for the compliment. Sometimes the truth hurts and the ignorant resort to calling names. But I still don't buy it. I have been around here too long. This thread reminds me of "Can I bring my own mattress." You supposedly are booked on a cruise but never had posted anything on cruise critic. As someone already pointed out who knows someone who competes they don't go anywhere and practice so much the week before the competition. The pianos on the cruise ships are for their entertainers. They are not going to let anyone touch them or play them. They are tuned professionally. Do you think they will let me play their guitars if I was playing in a competition? Of course not. None of this makes sense and to add its someone who just created a cruise critic account. If you were really concerned about your piano competition you would not book a vacation the week before. Any competition either swimming, dancing, piano, you practice the week before. You don't go on vacation. You would stay home and practice and not try to bring a piano or find a piano on a cruise ship. This is so silly I cant even believe I am typing these words. What next? I'm in a jazz concert recording, do you think one of the jazz performers on the ship will allow me to practice their trumpet in my cabin for awhile :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you book a Garden Villa you can have a piano all to yourself. As Judge Judy says....if it does not make sense, its not true. None of this makes sense and a concert pianist would know other professional pianists who are paid to perform are not going to let anyone play their piano. This forum always gets these kinds of threads of ridiculous requests from 1st post members and then poof they are gone. Not falling for it.