GoPro Hero 5 Black and mounts for excursions

I need some advice before my next cruise on Sunday regarding the GoPro Hero 5. I'm going on several excursions where I will probably need to be "hands free." Some I may also be required to wear the helmet provided by the excursion company. I purchased the helmet harness/mount for GoPro, but I am concerned there are parts that need to be affixed to the helmet so I won't be able to use it with the excursion company's helmets (and I doubt they allow you to bring your own - but if you know otherwise please let me know). Now I am thinking I need the chest harness for those excursions. One of them I will be required to wear a life jacket, and I don't know if that will be a problem or not.

If anyone has used these accessories with the GoPro on excursions I could use the advice. Do I need to buy the chest harness? Will it even work over a life jacket? When I don't need a helmet, how well does the head mount work with a backwards baseball cap? And has anyone had any problem with the excursion companies not allowing the camera on the excursion?

If it helps, I will be doing horseback riding (likely be given helmet), parasailing (likely be given helmet and life jacket?), segway (will be given helmet), and dolphin encounter (could wear baseball cap?)

Thanks for your help!

While I can't speak to your excursions I will try to help.

The chest harness if pretty stable but will always be "looking" straight ahead. The head mount will film where you are looking, but unless you remember to ALWAYS move your head slowly the resulting video will be hard to watch. The head mount feels like it will fall off but I haven't had that happen yet. If you have time, put them on and see how they work.

Have fun!!

Buy the ones on Amazon or eBay. The 3rd party ones. You'll get a whole kit for the price of one official GoPro one (or likely less than one official GoPro accessory). No, they're not quite the same quality, but it's good enough for what it is. It's not gonna break. They're just a tiny bit less smooth when sliding in, etc.

Depending on what it is, I've used the chest harness and wrist harness to good effect.

Amazon has a few wrist ones that are great for hands free. I’d even look at a quick clip and use a secondary loop to secure it to say your vest just Incase the clip doesn’t hold in say high speeds (thinking zip lining momentum).

wrist mount could work but only in case your hand is stable. e.g. when we were diving, my husband had it on his wrist, he was swimming and moving his hands, so as a result, we go chaotic videos :/.

before we used gopro mounts for the arm and for the head, it worked well

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend you getting a 3 axis gimbal for stability. The don't cost that much and make a lot more videos watchable. I picked up the Removu K1 about 2 months ago and love it! In fact I like the picture quality a lot of the time better than my GP 5

Might also want to look into a small back pack. Their are many mounts that attach to the front straps