Carpet boulders port and starboard on Royal

Travelw

Just read a review of the Regal and the person mentioned carpets in cabin hallways wer the same on both sides of the ship. Can former passengers on the Royal confirm that carpet boarders are different or the same for port and starboard. When we cruise it makes it easier when one side is red border and other is blue. Just curious.

Dennis

Just read a review of the Regal and the person mentioned carpets in cabin hallways wer the same on both sides of the ship. Can former passengers on the Royal confirm that carpet boarders are different or the same for port and starboard. When we cruise it makes it easier when one side is red border and other is blue. Just curious.

Dennis

The same carpet design on both sides. Just off the Royal.

I used to like that feature of different colored borders in the carpet for Port and Starboard. When the refurbished the Grand, they did away with it.

The easiest way to tell which side is to just check the first cabin number you see. Even numbers are Portside and odd numbers are Starboard.

On Princess ships, the forward, midship and aft elevators (lifts) face forward. Not so with the panoramic elevators. When you exit any of the main elevators, port (even numbered cabins) is left and starboard (odd numbered cabins) to the right. Remember that "port" has 4 letters and "left" has 4 letters. There is also a deck plan posted near the elevators. It's hard to get lost if you pay attention.

I think it presented a problem keeping two different carpets in stock.

One carpet now works for both sides- it's probably a big saving for Princess.

Even my wife can keep it straight & not get lost and believe me she can get lost anywhere. ;p

I did not know my wife had a twin sister. :)

On Princess ships, the forward, midship and aft elevators (lifts) face forward. Not so with the panoramic elevators.

Actually on most Princess ships the middle two of the midship elevators face forward, the outside two face inward, and the panoramic lifts opposite them face aft. So your fist step into the midship elevator lobby could be in any one of four directions. Which is why the instant clue of the different carpet borders was so helpful.

I hate it when people reflexively shout "cutbacks!" when any change like this is made. But if Princess eliminated this useful, well spoken of, and brand-identified feature just to get lower bids on carpeting the new class of ships--that is the very definition of penny wise but pound foolish.

I hate it when people reflexively shout "cutbacks!" when any change like this is made. But if Princess eliminated this useful, well spoken of, and brand-identified feature just to get lower bids on carpeting the new class of ships--that is the very definition of penny wise but pound foolish.

I doubt it was to get lower bids for carpet on new ships, but that it was to reduce inventory cost and space on each ship as only have to stock one type on board instead of two.

I am glad people are having a good time with the auto correct my iPad did for me, I need to proof read things before I hit send. ;p

Dennis

A friend of ours sent a message that she ' would be on PTO all day'.

PTO is Personal Time Off, autocorrect changed it to POT - she did not notice and sent it to all co-workers :D

I did not know my wife had a twin sister. :)

I never knew i married a triplet !! I married Miss Right, I just didn't know her first name was Always :evilsmile:!!

Some days she wakes up grumpy, and some days she lets me sleep !!!

I think some of the Grand class ships used to have fish swimming in the carpet design, they were always swimming towards the bow. .

The same carpet design on both sides. Just off the Royal.

At one time years ago, the hall carpet had a wave pattern on the side where the waves were rolling toward the front of the ship. I believe this is no longer the case on any of the ships.

When you come out of the elevator or off the stairs, why worry about the carpet? Just look at the picture of the ship that is on the wall next to the exit into the side hallways, the ship always points toward the front. If the ship is pointing to your right, you're heading toward the port side and if it's pointing to your left you're heading to the starboard side. Or, as someone said, look at a cabin number. Even is port (left) odd is starboard (right).

Tom

When you come out of the elevator or off the stairs, why worry about the carpet? Just look at the picture of the ship that is on the wall next to the exit into the side hallways, the ship always points toward the front. If the ship is pointing to your right, you're heading toward the port side and if it's pointing to your left you're heading to the starboard side. Or, as someone said, look at a cabin number. Even is port (left) odd is starboard (right).

It is far better to have a non-verbal clue you can spot the minute you step out of the elevator.

The printing on those signs cannot be read from much of a distance; once you are close enough to realize you are on the incorrect side you face a mini "walk of shame" to the opposite hallway, much to the amusement of those who just stepped off the next arriving elevator.

Tom

Omigosh, I am lost already!!!

It is far better to have a non-verbal clue you can spot the minute you step out of the elevator.

The printing on those signs cannot be read from much of a distance; once you are close enough to realize you are on the incorrect side you face a mini "walk of shame" to the opposite hallway, much to the amusement of those who just stepped off the next arriving elevator.

Are you talking about the ship's picture/model on the wall when you say "signs"? If so, no need to read anything, just look at the picture of the ship! I doubt very much that anybody is going to care a bit as to whether I've gone on the wrong side of the ship or not, and I'm not going to care one way or the other. Now if I do something like trip and fall flat on my face, I'll be embarassed, but for going the wrong way out of an elevator? Nope. I just hope that's the biggest mistake I make that day! But, whatever works for everyone, is great. Different strokes for different folks!!

Tom

After reading the title I thought the thread was probably about boulders made of carpet blocking wheelchairs, lol.

I thought it might be about the cruise equivalent of "road boulders", those people who drive slow in the fast lane, blocking impatient traffic behind them. A "carpet boulder" along that line of thinking would be the people who walk two abreast slowly down the narrow hallways and block traffic. Until they come to a wider hallway, where they would, of course, spread out to four abreast or whatever they could manage.