Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Hi' date=' ladies! I am a soon-to-be first time cruiser who has been stalking this forum for several months now. :o My thanks to all for the wealth of examples of beautiful cruise attire! I've been diligently building a packing spreadsheet while critically examining my current wardrobe and cautiously shopping for needed additions. I've finally declared my dress shopping complete, and if my attachments worked, you can see some of my purchases!

The blue dress and the floral dress are intended for casual nights. I am also taking two other patterned dresses in a similar cut to the blue one. Thankfully, I already owned them! We have five casual nights, so I'm definitely counting on finding a batik dress that I can't live without on St Kitts! ;)

The black patterned dress and the purple dress are my smart casual choices.

And for formal night, the fiery blouse will be paired with a classic long, black pencil skirt with a modest slit up to the left knee. The skirt has been a staple in my closet for many years. For the second formal night, I have a silky emerald green blouse in a similar cut that I will once again pair with the skirt.

Almost all of the dresses are of a knit fabric, so I am looking forward to squeezing them into a carry-on bag without worrying about wrinkles!

Now I get to stress over shoes. I want to try and limit my dress shoes to two pairs. In reality, two pairs may be all I can find. I wear lower leg braces, so I am restricted in the styles of shoes I can safely and comfortable wear. Wish me luck![/quote']

Love your pieces so far! I really like the floral wrap style dress. Those are always so flattering. It looks nice and light weight, perfect for Caribbean cruising!

Good luck with the shoe hunt!

Our cruise is more than 2 months away (somehow 70 days makes it sound sooner...) AND I'm getting the urge to start putting outfits together.

Since we are having guests in the "Cruise Room" in 2 weeks, I can't start before then. Yes, right now it looks like a normal bedroom...with extra wall hooks and a few tell-tale traveling items tucked into corners.

I told DH that in 2 weeks ALL the possible cruise clothes & accessories will be displayed and The Process will begin:cool:. Of course, he made fun of me for "starting so far in advance". My argument back was - If I do it sooner rather than later, it's unlikely I'll want to buy New Outfits when I'm shopping. And IF I NEED something, or a repair must be made, there's lots of time.

And that brings me to naxie nee!'s comment: I've found that many things I purchased for the cruise have not made the final cut.

I have items purchased for cruising that have never made the cut - perfectly wearable, fit-well things that didn't have a place. Those pieces remain in the Cruise Closet...there's always The Next Cruise!

And, yes, there are a few things that are "What was I thinking?"

AND I have clothes that made the suitcase for EVERY cruise!

QUESTION: How about the rest of you?? Do you have clothes, jewelry, etc. that you bought for cruising and never wore?

Edited by indiana71

I have started packing today......a challenge , to say the least! We are spending 8 pre cruise days in Orlando and a post cruise week in chilly Iowa! We'll be hitting Mexico , Belize and Honduras on our cruise. And I have to pack for 3 kids!

So far.....

Slim cut white jeans. I have several J.Crew sailor tops in red and navy as well as a beautiful navy tunic to go with these jeans.

Wide legged navy palazzo pants in navy...some cute white slim fitting tops and exotic scarves to accent the pants. They are made of a nice linen/silk blend.

Cute black capris ...basic tees and accessories to play with.

Slim fitting olive cargo style pants , nice with belt and cardigan ( taking black , eggplant and red cadigans)

Black and white embroidered tunic with black leggings.

Cut off jean shorts

White shorts

2 pairs of jeans ( one skinny , one trouser)

Khaki trench coat

Black cashmere v neck

Lots of shawls and jewelery

One slinky jersey leopard gown ( tasteful in grey leopard)

One navy polka dot Mad Men style dress

Now I have to see what else......all are normal clothes I love , not specifically for cruise...I love clothes in general!

4 more days to finish.....

Kim

TNGaloha - we are in Glendale. My parents used to "snowbird" in Yuma, so Im really familiar with that part of the state, but they stay in Sun City now in the winters.

Indiana - I only had a couple things I bought for my last cruise that I didn't wear - tight fitting items that lost all their luster when the time came. :). Now I only will pack / buy things that I can wear in my "real" life, and that are comfy too. If you are comfy, you are smiling, and if you are smiling you look great anyway!

I love seeing everyone's outfits!!

I hit TJMaxx today and got a cute bronze wristlet purse to go with my bronze shoes....I won't have my hubby with me to stick stuff in his pockets this time :D. I needed something to carry my sea pass card and some lipgloss to dinner and around in the evening. It was $9! Not too shabby.

I also got this really cool jewelry organizer that looks like an evening bag on the outside, but when you open it there are pouches for jewelry, and this neat strip to tack your earrings onto and a strip to slide your rings over. Very nifty!

Don't post on this thread, but I read it often! You guys have great tips and I love hearing the banter back and forth about what to wear and with what. LOL! :D

I found these while looking for something else on eBay! Sarongs! I'm going to use mine as a cover-up mostly... they're really cute and comfy. I can tie it myself, so I can adjust the fit for my body.

Just a disclaimer: I'm in no way affiliated with this company! I just happened across them while looking for a Victoria's Secret bathing suit that was outrageously priced on their site. LOL!! :D

Here's the link to islandwearhawaii's sarongs

I just bought a black and white one!! I'm thinking about going in for a blue one....

Just thought I'd share since you guys have shared SO much with others. Thanks and enjoy!

I love seeing everyone's outfits!!

I hit TJMaxx today and got a cute bronze wristlet purse to go with my bronze shoes....I won't have my hubby with me to stick stuff in his pockets this time :D. I needed something to carry my sea pass card and some lipgloss to dinner and around in the evening. It was $9! Not too shabby.

I also got this really cool jewelry organizer that looks like an evening bag on the outside, but when you open it there are pouches for jewelry, and this neat strip to tack your earrings onto and a strip to slide your rings over. Very nifty!

I really need to visit TJ Maxx! I always find some great things there for vacation (usually around this time too, because winter is when I like to plan vacations LOL). Found a really, really cute cover up at Marshall's (HomeGoods) the other day--$14.99. Super cheap and cute!

32 more days and I feel SO ill-prepared... I gotta get moving like you guys are! :D

curlymason: Don't you LOVE wristlets??? It was only our last cruise that I started carrying an evening bag and wristlets are so-o-o practical.

I, too, have a bronze wristlet that gets lots of use. Bronze is neutral and goes with many outfits. Bronze shoes are a very smart purchase!

How nice to not have to ask DH to carry my "stuff" or nudge him when lipstick is needed.

IMHO: Women like to have all sorts of organizers. Having one for jewelry when traveling is smart. Everything stays together; earring backs don't get lost forever.

A Shoe Organizer - Cosmetics Organizer - a Mesh Shower Organizer: these are a couple organizers that go on every cruise.

QUESTION: What other organizers do you take?

magsbags: Welcome! Thanks for sharing the website.

Sarongs: another Great Idea! I'm going to check out the site...there's never a bad time to go shopping...

Edited by indiana71

i have a small accordian type file-organizer (about legal envelope size) that has all our tickets, paperwork etc that i just open up and go right to the slot and everything is there--i set it up according to what is used first with all details, cards etc for travel insurance and then airline tickets and so on.

since i started using this nothing is misplaced or hard to find stays all in one spot and goes into my 'personal carry-on'.

Leaving today!!!!

I bought this amazing Samsonite handbag/organizar which has slots for everything. and my iPad fits in it!

http://shop.samsonite.com/Samsonite-Business-Laptop-Tote/dp/B0019CCP74?ie=UTF8&id=Samsonite%20Business%20Laptop%20Tote&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&field_availability=-1&field_browse=2235746011&searchSize=12&searchNodeID=2235746011&searchPage=1&class=quickView&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchRank=salesrank

Love it. I put all travel documents ( family of 5 , dual nationals -2 passports each!) , boarding passes etc , works great.

STARFISH*4: Yet another GREAT idea!:) An inexpensive and very useful accordion-style envelope. Now that's something we can all use!

brazilgirl: You're probably gone by now (am I the only one who is envious???). Your organizer is very cool! And it should last for many years. Thanks for including the web address.

Please come back and let us know what the attire was like and if you packed enough/too much/too little.

THANK YOU both for the helpful suggestions!

I'm a week and a half away from starting to gather...although an item (or 2...) has made it's way from my regular wardrobe to the Cruise Room...

STARFISH*4: Yet another GREAT idea!:) An inexpensive and very useful accordion-style envelope. Now that's something we can all use!

brazilgirl: You're probably gone by now (am I the only one who is envious???). Your organizer is very cool! And it should last for many years. Thanks for including the web address.

Please come back and let us know what the attire was like and if you packed enough/too much/too little.

THANK YOU both for the helpful suggestions!

I'm a week and a half away from starting to gather...although an item (or 2...) has made it's way from my regular wardrobe to the Cruise Room...

Indiana71, I want to thank you for starting this thread. I've picked up a lot of packing tips from you all, even though I'm not a novice cruiser. It's been great to "talk" to others who obsess about their cruise wardrobes. And I mean that in a good way. I usually get on board and wonder why I spent so much time thinking about what I packed.

Anyway, my bags are nearly packed, and through tips I've gained here, I've got everything I think I need for two weeks in one checked bag, one carry-on and a tote bag. I even have a little extra space, in case I find some new things to bring home.:D

I'll try to get pictures to share when I get back.

Naxie Nee - Bon Voyage to you very soon! How exciting! Enjoy your cruise & hope you have lots of relaxation, fun times, and great memories to bring back with you.

BrazilGirl - Hope you are having a blast!

My DH just realized that he will be removing his shirt in front of strangers in a few weeks and started watching his diet. I am sure the pounds will drop right off - men are lucky that way. Bless their hearts. :)

As for organizers - I like the over the door shoe holder, but really can't live without my Travelon hanging toiletry kit. Have tried many, after travelling extensively for business, and this one beats them all, IMHO.

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/hanging-toiletry-kit-quilted/81682?productid=1049503

The six week count down starts today!! :D

Just got our luggage tags and cruise brochure so now it feels real!

This thread has been a great way to prepare so big thank yous to everyone for all the great tips - and all the beautiful dress pictures and other pictures that you have shared! Especially love seeing what other people enjoy wearing! And how you are all organizing your "stuff"!

Tonight was the night to take inventory and try on all the "possibles" and edit out the things that don't feel right/look right. (Yes there a few extra pounds that have crept on since we last cruised four years ago!) A lot went back in the closet!

I now have my "to buy" list. Decided I need new comfortable sandals and some more T shirts to go with my shorts and capris. Maybe one more dress that will travel well. I've found some surprisingly good buys from the Canadian online Sears catalogue - including two really nice dresses for formal night - on sale! Who knew! Will have to see if I can figure out how to post pictures.

I've been thinking of of naxie neels post below "I usually get on board and wonder why I spent so much time thinking about what I packed." Soon I'll be saying the same thing! But for now I'm enjoying the ride!;)

I find 4 night cruises can be harder to pack for than 7 nights. I think it may be that I have too many choices.:rolleyes: I'm leaving next Thursday from Tampa and I just hope it's sunny and warm. I've never worn jeans for sail-a-way and really don't want to! I have to do try-on's today and at least get stuff in the suitcase that I know I'm taking.

I bought the shower organizer mentioned in another thread. I think it will be the perfect solution to hold all my stuff. I also never leave without my door organizer.

Now for the big TA cruise in August...that will be simplified of black/grey/shot of color wardrobe. Luggage restrictions, meh!

Just picked these up. $250 normally, a steal for $50 at Dillard's and I think they'll be amazing for dinner in the MDR :D

6c4c5c9f-7444-e073.jpg

Sent from my Commodore 64 using MS/DOS

Wow! What an amazing deal! They look fabulous and will be perfect for your cruise! :)

ida: Welcome to the forum! Love your choices! A pair of low-heeled, wedge, black strappy sandals would work with all of those dresses/outfits & would be comfortable too. Not sure if that would work for your braces.

Thank you!

As for the wedge, it would have to be pretty low. Basically I need a closed heel, a strap across the instep, and a stable heel base no higher than 3/4". Not asking for much, am I? :rolleyes:

But I may have found one. http://www.footsmart.com/P-Naturalizer-Womens-Joslin-Fisherman-Sandals-78910.aspx It's not wildly glamourous, but better than most that fit my criteria. Best of all, it's available in multiple colors from other sites.

Anyone familiar with Naturalizer shoes that could comment on the fit -- runs small, narrow, etc?

Thank you!

As for the wedge' date=' it would have to be pretty low. Basically I need a closed heel, a strap across the instep, and a stable heel base no higher than 3/4". Not asking for much, am I? :rolleyes:

But I may have found one. http://www.footsmart.com/P-Naturalizer-Womens-Joslin-Fisherman-Sandals-78910.aspx It's not wildly glamourous, but better than most that fit my criteria. Best of all, it's available in multiple colors from other sites.

Anyone familiar with Naturalizer shoes that could comment on the fit -- runs small, narrow, etc?[/quote']

Check out the Clark's Un.Structured brand. They have several that would fit those requirements and are cute too! They are the most comfortable brand I've ever worn, too!

Something like this might work: http://www.6pm.com/clarks-un-cap-grey-metallic-leather

Check zappos Clark's too...anything thats name starts with Un. Is part of that sub-brand of Clark's.