Sydney - Manly Ferry/Beach

Thoughts and opinions on taking the ferry from Sydney to Manly Beach and Harbor, please.

Thanks!

Denise

What would you like to know? I take the Manly ferry to Manly every time I visit Sydney. You can do lovely walks along the Harbour, as well as the Ocean.

A nice ferry trip, a nice beach and area fo4 a visit.

Not sure just what you want to know.

Also not sure how long you’re in Sydney for, if it’s just a day, nope too many other things to do before a day in the beach.

Depends how long you are in Sydney for. It's a half day activity minimum. On a beautiful sunny day, it's one of the best ways to see the harbour. Trip each way takes 30-40 mins on the ferry. Cheapest day to do it is on a Sunday when it will only cost you $2.50 each way. On arrival in Manly, you can walk up the corso (paved shopping area) to the main surf beach. Looking at the ocean,on the right hand side of the beach, there is a lovely and very popular walk around to Fairy Bower. There are lots of places to eat in Manly. A popular option is to buy fish and chips and eat on the waters edge. Just watch up for the seagulls who may try to steal your chips. If you have the time, a trip on the ferry to Manly is definately worth it.

Worth doing. :D

My recommendation is to catch the ferry to Manly in the mid-late afternoon (or earlier if you want to swim). Explore the beaches including walking around to Shelly Beach - the walk starts from the right of the esplanade near the surf club. Have dinner in Manly. There are plenty of good restaurants and cafes, or you could just get fish and chips and eat them overlooking the ocean beach. Once it gets dark catch the ferry back to the city. That way you get to enjoy the harbour by day and by night.

I live in Manly so I'm biased but I would recommend it even if you only have one day in Sydney because it gives you the best of everything in one spot. You don't have to battle with Sydney's awful bus, trains or taxis; you get to experience the harbour; the ferry departs from next to your cruise ship (hopefully you're docked at the OPT); you can have a drink with a view and eat great local food; and go for a lovely coastal walk around to Shelly and check out a better beach than Bondi :cool:

I just want to emphasise what was said above: make sure you cross the road and walk through the Corso to the other beach - don't stop at the beach at the ferry wharf! Too often I hear tourists getting back on the ferry saying "well, that was overrated" because they have gone to the wrong beach. Having said that, all the bars on the ferry wharf overlooking the "wrong" beach are excellent. Make sure you have a drink/snack at Hugo's or the Manly Wharf Hotel. Then sit outside on the ferry back to take photos of the Opera House from a different angle. Welcome!

Totally agree with all the posters comments re Manly Ferry and you have different perspective on the outward/inward journeys.

We always recommend the trip to overseas travellers we meet. Apart from the fish and chip shops in the area, you could even get to try a classic 'Aussie meat pie' available from bakeries in the area. If you miss the pie on land, they have them in the snack bar on board the ferries.:*

Aside from Manly, the ferries from Circular Quay also go to several other places, well worth a visit, e.g. Parramatta, Watsons Bay (great pub food there,) The Zoo, Darling Harbour and more.

Although I don't live in Sydney these days, I did for 40 years and did all the above a few times, best value day out in Sydney I reckon.

Above all enjoy, I am sure you will. ;)

Totally agree with all the posters comments re Manly Ferry and you have different perspective on the outward/inward journeys.

We always recommend the trip to overseas travellers we meet. Apart from the fish and chip shops in the area, you could even get to try a classic 'Aussie meat pie' available from bakeries in the area. If you miss the pie on land, they have them in the snack bar on board the ferries.:*

Aside from Manly, the ferries from Circular Quay also go to several other places, well worth a visit, e.g. Parramatta, Watsons Bay (great pub food there,) The Zoo, Darling Harbour and more.

Although I don't live in Sydney these days, I did for 40 years and did all the above a few times, best value day out in Sydney I reckon.

Above all enjoy, I am sure you will. ;)

Agree totally Uncle Les,the 4 Pines Brewery near the Ferry terminal is atop place for Craft Ale and Pizza.Manly "thats amore"

Every time we are in Sydney for the day we buy an all day ticket and take the ferry to Manly. As everyone says, walk the coso (open air mall/ pedestrian mall) and enjoy a wine with a view on a pub's balcony. Can't beat it. Plus you've had a harbour tour without the expense. With your day ticket, take a couple of shorter routes to Luna Park and Darling Harbour first.

Agree totally Uncle Les,the 4 Pines Brewery near the Ferry terminal is atop place for Craft Ale and Pizza.Manly "thats amore"

Yes, this is what we did and it was great!! If you go early you can get a tour of the brewery (and free samples!!). Look online for times for their tours but I think it was 10 or 11 am on weekdays. They have a great story to tell and excellent beer. We have a photo of DH, sitting under a blackboard that shows the brewing process, with his head down on the table, totally dejected he has to leave :D

Then we walked out to the beach and on the way back stopped at shops to get T-shirts. Was a very pleasant day. And I agree that Manly is waaay better than the (over-rated) Bondi!!

Good luck

ML

Yes, this is what we did and it was great!! If you go early you can get a tour of the brewery (and free samples!!). Look online for times for their tours but I think it was 10 or 11 am on weekdays. They have a great story to tell and excellent beer. We have a photo of DH, sitting under a blackboard that shows the brewing process, with his head down on the table, totally dejected he has to leave :D

Then we walked out to the beach and on the way back stopped at shops to get T-shirts. Was a very pleasant day. And I agree that Manly is waaay better than the (over-rated) Bondi!!

Good luck

ML

Glad you enjoyed 4 Pines,it is a place I hate leaving as well Cheers