Dumb ?- How to attach cruise luggage tags?

cruisincup

OK - I'm sure this is a stupid question. How do we attach the paper luggage tags that I printed out as part of the online check-in? I'm worried about them ripping off if just wrapped around a handle and stapled, but don't want to attach them in a way that cruise personnel can't do whatever they need to do with them (coat in clear tape to make more sturdy).

I would appreciate anyone who is willing to take the time to answer this silly question. Recommendations?

Thank you!

If you are flying, you don't want to attach them at home. At the port, luggage handlers have luggage tags.

By the way, call your cruise company, some mail the "real" tags at no extra charge that you can attach before cruising.

For the luggage tags I have used the wide packing tape that is clear and covered them totally. Used a hole ounch to make holes in each end. Then when we headed to the ship (whether from the airport or our hotel) used twist ties to attach them to the bags. Has worked great each time I have done it.

Happy sailing :D :D

I put mine in my carry on, when I get to the hotel while I am checking in I ask to use their stapler and put it on right there.

If you are going directly to the ship just carry twist ties and put a hole in the tag and use the twist tie to secure the end.

We print them out then put them through a laminator, cut them to the correct size, punch a hole in them and when youare ready to put them on the suitcases at cruise terminal, attach them with tie wraps. We also 'lock' our suitcases with tie wraps as airport security will cut these if they need to check inside suitcases and reseal them with new tie wraps. Hope this helps, this is our tried and tested method.

For the luggage tags I have used the wide packing tape that is clear and covered them totally. Used a hole ounch to make holes in each end. Then when we headed to the ship (whether from the airport or our hotel) used twist ties to attach them to the bags. Has worked great each time I have done it.

Happy sailing :D :D

This. We use zipties instead of twist ties.

I do the clear packing tape and zip tie method also~ never had one rip off and if it happens to be raining while the luggage is being loaded I don't have to worry about them smearing~

I also do the zip ties due to the fact that a staple in the hand can be very painful and I don't want the porter or the staff on the ship to hurt themselves and take it out on my luggage~;):D

I make several sets of the luggage tags and use the clear tape and zip ties to attach one to each suitcase, but I also use the clear tape to stick one luggage tag on to the side of each suitcase 'just in case'. I do this at the hotel pre-cruise.

I put a full set of information into each suitcase prior to flying. Really belt plus suspenders, but so far so good.

I just usually bring along a roll of adhesive tape, and tape them very securely, which works fine. But the twisty idea is a good one too.

I have laminated/covered them with packing tape ahead of time before, but I don't anymore as they seem to last just just as good from the dock to our cabin.

I make several sets of the luggage tags and use the clear tape and zip ties to attach one to each suitcase, but I also use the clear tape to stick one luggage tag on to the side of each suitcase 'just in case'. I do this at the hotel pre-cruise.

I put a full set of information into each suitcase prior to flying. Really belt plus suspenders, but so far so good.

Even just sticking an extra tag into a pocket or the suitcase itself would probably help if it loses it's tag--but I'd think the amount of luggage that arrives on the ship without a tag is really small, and it would be easy to identify yours, once you realized it was missing.

at night in the hotel i reinforce the tags using wide clear packing tape and fold them over the handle and then tape them on the ends together...never had one rip off in fact most of the time they have to be cut off they are very strong and durable.

Once you've folded the printed tag into thirds and passed it through the luggage handle, the staples are going through 6 layers of paper. They're not likely to tear off (but I do use clear packing tape on the folded tag before stapling... :) )

I've never printed my own. The ones that the cruise line sends out look like paper but are really strong. If I did print my own, I'm sure I'd do what some other people have suggested: Cover them with plenty of clear packing tape.

Also, I think it's a good idea to use more than one tag. Maybe one on the top handle, one on the side handle.

I've never printed my own. The ones that the cruise line sends out look like paper but are really strong. If I did print my own, I'm sure I'd do what some other people have suggested: Cover them with plenty of clear packing tape.

Also, I think it's a good idea to use more than one tag. Maybe one on the top handle, one on the side handle.

We also use two but put one on the outside and another on the inside of the suitcase.

If you don't want to go through the process of laminating the tags, or covering them with packing tape, stapling them, punching holes in them, and attaching them with twist ties or zip ties, then go to favors by serendipity dot com. They sell clear luggage tags made specifically for cruise ship tags. The tags are less than $3.00 ea., and are re-usable.

Another vote for covering with clear tape or laminate and use zip ties instead of staples. The one time I used staples, the tag was ripped off and it took a long time for them to track down our bag. (they found us because i had a copy inside the bag.):)

If you don't want to go through the process of laminating the tags, or covering them with packing tape, stapling them, punching holes in them, and attaching them with twist ties or zip ties, then go to favors by serendipity dot com. They sell clear luggage tags made specifically for cruise ship tags. The tags are less than $3.00 ea., and are re-usable.

Good idea! Though my un-reinforced, scotch-taped tags have always come through just fine.

When HAL started this new type of luggage tags over 2 years ago -- I made plastic sleeves that I have used many times. I keep one end open so that I can just slide in the new luggage tags. Then I punch holes in the end. When we are ready to leave the hotel to go to the ship I attach the tags by using cable ties.

Don't put your luggage tags onto your suitcases until you are ready to leave the hotel or after you have claimed your luggage in the airport.

The heavy duty clear plastic luggage tag holders from favors by serendipity dot com are the best thing since peanut butter!!

I used the clear packing tape method for a few years, and while it works okay, these holders are easier to use, and are reusable over and over for most any kind of travel.

If you do order them, spend the extra 25 cents or so per tag and get the longer attachment loops. Much of today's luggage has the thick padded handles, and the larger loops work better on them.

Archived