Sharing Tables


Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:13 PM.
#81
Hampshire, England
1,688 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Cunard is now the only cruise line that I enjoy sharing a table at all meals.

It might be something to do with the quality of our fellow passengers and their ability to hold a good conversation.

When we cruise with other lines, if there isn't 'open' seating I will request 'My Time/Freedom dining.

On my recent Carnival Dream cruise it works a treat. When we turned up and asked for a table for two that is what you got, even if it meant the waiter removing two sets of cutlery from a table for 4.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is in the Blood


#82
Copenhagen, Denmark
240 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Originally posted by Langoustine
Forty years ago, when I lived in Germany, it was very common to be seated at a table with others. The interesting thing was that the custom was to eat with no interaction or conversation with the people you were seated with. Don't know if it's still the same.
If I were seated with another family this might happen. Speaking your second language for hours in a row can be hard work. I might prefer to just speak with my SO in our own language, Danish.
#83
Dorset, england
726 Posts
Joined May 2011
We are happy to share a table on land if we are out for coffee, tea or lunch. I would want to know in advance if I were expected to share with strangers at dinner (although I have certainly done this, a place in Paris springs to mind).

Someone mention the 'Canadian' train upthread. We had a very happy journey on this train (some years ago now), the tables were '4 tops' and people were seated in turn. As on cruises, we had some interesting conversations.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#84
North-West England
478 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by Slugsta
We are happy to share a table on land if we are out for coffee, tea or lunch. I would want to know in advance if I were expected to share with strangers at dinner (although I have certainly done this, a place in Paris springs to mind).

Someone mention the 'Canadian' train upthread. We had a very happy journey on this train (some years ago now), the tables were '4 tops' and people were seated in turn. As on cruises, we had some interesting conversations.
We went from the East coast tothe West coast of the USA on Amtrak and the steward in the dining car tells you where to sit and who with. We met some very nice paople
#85
Muscat/Oman, Abu Dhabi/UAE and Sydney/Australia
1,013 Posts
Joined May 2011
Some mention Parisian (or any French) restaurants. Apart from the most upmarket restaurants, they will cram in as many tables as possible. Go to a bistro, and the waiters will need to move tables in order for you being able to sit down. Usually there is no more than a cigarette's length between tables side by side along bench seats.
🍷🍷
#86
53 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by Summergee
On our first cruise we had a table for 2. We enjoyed talking to the people on the next table every evening so ,since then, we have asked for a table for 6.
that's exactly what happened to us, except now we normally go for 8 and have so far met some lovely and interesting people
#87
Muscat/Oman, Abu Dhabi/UAE and Sydney/Australia
1,013 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by corporate services
that's exactly what happened to us, except now we normally go for 8 and have so far met some lovely and interesting people
Totally agree. When we are offered a table for two, I ask for a table for 6. I'm cruising with my wife, and not my girlfriend. DW just rolls her eyes at this.
#88
leicester UK
90 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by buchhalm
Totally agree. When we are offered a table for two, I ask for a table for 6. I'm cruising with my wife, and not my girlfriend. DW just rolls her eyes at this.
WOW Im surprised your wife will still allow you to cruise with her..
After 40 years I'm sure my DW enjoys talking to new people, as do I, that's why we prefer a table for 6. However she always restricts the subjects I can discuss by warning me to avoid Politics & religion even if with friends.
#89
North Carolina
3,640 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Originally posted by bill_posters_is_innocent
WOW Im surprised your wife will still allow you to cruise with her..
After 40 years I'm sure my DW enjoys talking to new people, as do I, that's why we prefer a table for 6. However she always restricts the subjects I can discuss by warning me to avoid Politics & religion even if with friends.
Smart Woman!
#90
Pennsylvania
6,278 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
We're boarding Eurodam on Sunday. Somewhere in clearing the waitlist for first seating we've been put on the request list for a table for 2 (we always request a table for 6-8). I've assured DW that the maitre d' will gladly move us to a larger table if we find ourselves at a 2-top.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
ms Eurodam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
#91
Hampshire, England
1,688 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by brian1
Hope so,it's because we are part of a block booking and probably on the cheaper fare rate.I read that you are not guaranteed your request at that rate.There doesn't seem to be loads of club cabins so am optimistic,cheers,Brian.
Frankly I don't see what a 'block' booking or 'cheaper' fare has to do with it in this case.

You booked well in advance, paid the 'Club' rate and your preference should be guaranteed.

Can't be long now anyway.

I do note however that there are savings to be made in Singapore at the moment.

Raffles is closed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is in the Blood


#92
Hampshire, England
1,688 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by bill_posters_is_innocent
WOW Im surprised your wife will still allow you to cruise with her..
After 40 years I'm sure my DW enjoys talking to new people, as do I, that's why we prefer a table for 6. However she always restricts the subjects I can discuss by warning me to avoid Politics & religion even if with friends.

LOL. I have no such restriction though my wife does carry two brightly painted cocktail sticks in her evening bag: one yellow and one red.

They serve as alternatives to a referees yellow and red cards.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is in the Blood


#93
New York City
1,273 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by ditmar2007
If I were seated with another family this might happen. Speaking your second language for hours in a row can be hard work. I might prefer to just speak with my SO in our own language, Danish.
I understand. But this was then the custom among totally German-speaking table-sharers. Interestingly, my wife and I had the same experience three years ago in Paris at Chartier, and recently here in NYC at Zum Schneider.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Miami-Havana-Miami (1951: P&O S.S. Florida)


Miami-Ocho Rios-Grand Cayman-Miami


Lisbon-Cadiz-Casablanca-Funchal-Ft. Lauderdale


New York-St. George-Hamilton-New York
#94
essex uk and calabria italy
1,055 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by Solent Richard
Frankly I don't see what a 'block' booking or 'cheaper' fare has to do with it in this case.

You booked well in advance, paid the 'Club' rate and your preference should be guaranteed.

Can't be long now anyway.

I do note however that there are savings to be made in Singapore at the moment.

Raffles is closed.
I don't know,it's what people say on this board that you are not guaranteed anything unless you book with the "Cunard fare".
#95
near Oxford
1,756 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
If you spend time in Oxfordshire in the UK and want somewhere interesting to visit, go to Dorchester on Thames and see Dorchester Abbey. If you are a fan of Midsomer Murders then you might recognise the location. While there, visit the local tea room (link below). It is staffed by locals, with home-made cakes. A real feature of the place is the two shared tables. As you eat your afternoon tea you can talk to a range of tourists and locals. In a limited space, the planners have made a virtue of the shared tables and I feel it extends the spirit of the Abbey. I love visiting.

It could be argued that this and cruise ships are holiday locations and we are more prepared to suspend our usual practices and to widen our outlook when on holiday. There have been cruises where I have felt somewhat bored by my table companions but I always ask for a table for 8 or 10 because I have had some wonderful experiences. For a solo traveller, shared tables is a boon.

http://www.dorchester-abbey.org.uk/tea-room/
#96
Cambridgeshire
3,074 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by buchhalm
Totally agree. When we are offered a table for two, I ask for a table for 6. I'm cruising with my wife, and not my girlfriend. DW just rolls her eyes at this.
I can see your logic in going for a table for 6 because if you went for the 2 you would have to find someone to sit with her.

Lol John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas, Queen Victoria