dining on the jewel

Can anyone who has cruised Jewel help me pick 3 specialty dining restaurants? Which ones are good to eat at?

Thanks

Image already added

It's hard to go wrong with any of them and you'll get good and bad opinions from different people. Different people, different tastes.

Check out the menus and see what appeals to your tastes.

Teppanyaki was my wife’s favorite, I, being the carnivore that I am, love Moderno. Le Bistro was a little too frou frou, we don’t do sushi, and I wouldn’t pay extra for a Mexican restaurant sunce we have a hundred of them near home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cagney's and the Teppanyaki are good at the Jewel. They are of the same standards with the rest of the NCL line. Forget Le Bistro and La Cucina - as they taste nothing like how the other NCL's do. The Le Bistro at the Jewel was the worst really.

Teppanyaki was my wife’s favorite, I, being the carnivore that I am, love Moderno. Le Bistro was a little too frou frou, we don’t do sushi, and I wouldn’t pay extra for a Mexican restaurant sunce we have a hundred of them near home.

I don't believe that there is a Mexican restaurant on the Jewel. La Cucina is Tuscan.

Food is so subjective that what we like you may not like.

That said, we always eat once per NCL cruise at Teppanyaki -- a fun time and good food (we really enjoy the shrimp and filet; skip the green tea ice cream dessert, it's awful).

We were surprised by how much we enjoyed Cagney's on the Jewel last year, as it's been a disappointment on other ships. Le Bistro was okay, but not what it used to be. In fact, as platinum level cruisers, we ate our first free platinum meal there, and had planned to eat our second there as well. But we decided not to, which says a lot, and instead ate at La Cucina (the only other option for the platinum dinner), which to our great surprise we totally enjoyed.

I would skip Moderno. We've tried it four different times on two NCL ships, including the Jewel, and the meats are always tough and cold. NCL imho has not figured out how to pull off a churrascaria at sea. Save your money and find a Fogo or similar on land.

Enjoy your cruise!

Have sailed the Jewel three times (a fourth this May) and have enjoyed all of the speciality restaurants except Moderno's! Don't know what it is but the meal there has always been consistently poor. Have enjoyed Moderno on other ships (Breakaway, Pearl).

My favorite restaurant on the Jewel is Le Bistro.

I don't believe that there is a Mexican restaurant on the Jewel. La Cucina is Tuscan.

I think you are right, but Italian food isn’t worthy of a specialty dining experience compared to the other choices either.

Have sailed the Jewel three times (a fourth this May) and have enjoyed all of the speciality restaurants except Moderno's! Don't know what it is but the meal there has always been consistently poor. Have enjoyed Moderno on other ships (Breakaway, Pearl).

My favorite restaurant on the Jewel is Le Bistro.

I have to agree Moderno's is really bad at Star and Pearl. We did not bother trying it out at the Jewel as we were already disappointed with its La Cucina and Le Bistro. Cagneys and Teppanyaki are always good everywhere.

Le Bistro and Cagneys were great as well as the service. Jewel has the old menus. I enjoyed the duck and the lamb cutlets at Le Bistro. I also like the complimentary salmon mousse, pretty sure we had a second helping. Modernos if you like lots of meat, although the desserts aren’t the best, but one of my fellow diners negotiated the Cagney’s Desserts instead. La Cuccina I probably enjoy more than Modernos. I love the hot bread, although I request butter with it. We went through two loaves amongst three of us. I also enjoyed the Osso Bucco and the Affogato. The service was excellent in Cagneys, Le Bistro and La Cuccina. Service in Modernos is a variety of different waiters all bringing the different meats, so you don’t feel like you get the same attention as one assigned waiter going above and beyond to keep you happy. The cheeses balls are yummy, but it seems to take a while waiting for the different meats. I’ve learnt my lesson and just choose the ones I like. On my last cruise I only had the chicken and lamb at Modernos. I personally would choose Le Cuccina over Modernos, but my dining friends chose Modernos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by karoo

Can anyone advise if you can purchase the meal packages after you board, or do you have to pre-purchase? We have an OBC from our cruise agent that we need to use but the credit does not post until the day we board. Thanks

I think you are right, but Italian food isn’t worthy of a specialty dining experience compared to the other choices either.

La Cucina is awesome. I would highly recommend along with Carney’s.

We ate at Le Bistro in April (on Escape). The menu has changed and I thought it was mediocre at best. I won’t eat there again unless they ramp up the menu - better food in the MDR.

• 3 weeks later...

We loved Cagney's and La Cucina.

I was really looking forward to Teppanyaki but was disappointed. It was fun, but the food... no! He cooked, and cooked, and cooked, and cooked the chicken breast and I knew it would be ruined... chicken breast loses its moistness very quickly. It was like eating squares of leather. But I'd give it a second chance because perhaps it was the chef we had.

We were on the Jewel for the May trans-Pac and ate in Cagney's, Le Bistro, Teppanyaki, and La Cucina.

We ate in La Cucina once and the food was pretty good, better than La Cucina on the Epic.

We ate in Teppanyaki once, the food was very good, and considering this cruise started in Japan it had a lot to live up to.

We ate in Le Bistro and Cagney's several times each. Le Bistro did not seem anywhere near as good as it was on Epic. It was good, but Cagney's was much better.

If you want sushi I would suggest eating at Chin Chin and adding sushi. The sushi was very good and went well with a meal at Chin Chin. Also, they give you full rolls for sushi, not partial rolls like most of the places in the states tend to do, this was a surprise.

• 3 weeks later...