Planning a B2B roundtrip whittier, AK on Princess with turnaround in Vancouver

Bklynbill

Planning a B2B roundtrip whittier, AK on Princess with turnaround in Vancouver. I am aware of Canada's issues with people who have DUIs. If someone in our travel group has a more recent DUI, I was wondering how they would be handled at turn around. Would they be treated as if it were a Victoria port stop on a closed loop Seattle cruise (talk to immigration and be told to return to the ship)? I was hoping someone has some actual experience with this that they could share. Thank You

Fingers crossed you'll get a reply from someone with a party member DUI that actually did speak to CBSA about the offence, rather than the usual horde of 'person X in my group had one and nobody said anything about it' responses. Or theoretical answers like mine;-)

Since the objective of the rules is to prevent entry of criminals to Canada and the end result of discovering someone is a criminal is to forbid them entry... with the other half of the B2B already booked the logical response is to send them back onboard! It's the simplest and cheapest way to deal with them, and thanks to ship security on top of port security and CBP/CBSA presence, the odds of them sneaking off the ship somehow are minimal. End result - they never leave 'the USA' as they remain securely onboard the ship.

Absolute worst case is that criminal data sharing and record-checking has become so efficient that CBSA can flag them as an undesirable at check-in, in which case no cruise for them - and they spend a fortnight exploring Alaska while waiting for the rest of you to cruise down & back...

Planning a B2B roundtrip whittier, AK on Princess with turnaround in Vancouver. I am aware of Canada's issues with people who have DUIs. If someone in our travel group has a more recent DUI, I was wondering how they would be handled at turn around. Would they be treated as if it were a Victoria port stop on a closed loop Seattle cruise (talk to immigration and be told to return to the ship)? I was hoping someone has some actual experience with this that they could share. Thank You

I hate to say it but I don't think you will find a concrete answer.

Canadian boarder control has access to a variety of databases and if you were convicted of a crime in the US they can probably find out fairly quickly. They may or may not chose to run a passenger through the database.

If they do, there goal is to protect Canadian citizens. They will exercise judgement and let someone in if they are confident the person does not pose a threat to public safety and not otherwise. If they raise the issue your best bet is to honest, say I am not going to rent a car, not touch any alcohol and promise to be back on the ship at the end of the day.

A lot of these types of decisions at the boarder are made on the spot and it is hard to predict ahead of time. The only consistency is the officer has to be convinced the risk to the public is low.

If you want here is the office government answer:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=152&top=8

Edited by em-sk

I hate to say it but I don't think you will find a concrete answer.

Canadian boarder control has access to a variety of databases and if you were convicted of a crime in the US they can probably find out fairly quickly. They may or may not chose to run a passenger through the database.

If they do, there goal is to protect Canadian citizens. They will exercise judgement and let someone in if they are confident the person does not pose a threat to public safety and not otherwise. If they raise the issue your best bet is to honest, say I am not going to rent a car, not touch any alcohol and promise to be back on the ship at the end of the day.

A lot of these types of decisions at the boarder are made on the spot and it is hard to predict ahead of time. The only consistency is the officer has to be convinced the risk to the public is low.

If you want here is the office government answer:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=152&top=8

Should have also said the key wording is the last sentence. That translate to, the officer has discretion to ignore the past conviction, stamp your passport and just let the person in. No guarantee they will chose to do that.

Not getting off in Victoria -- a port of call -- is one thing. Vancouver is not a port of call. Every passenger has to get off and go at least into the terminal for a zero count. If Canada won't let someone off the ship, what would happen? I strongly suspect that your friend would not able allowed to board in Whittier. At the least, better to find out real answers from Princess and/or Canada before it's time to go.

Loren