Athens tour company

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Greece Ports
Athens, Corfu, Crete, Katakolon, Limassol, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Volos
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:01 AM.
Midwest
1 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
We were on the Celebrity Reflection and had one day in Athens. Could not have picked a better tour company then Private Greece Tours. Nikos was so easy to work with thru email. We were debating on only doing a half day tour, but were convinced by Nikos that the full day was really the best option for our group of six. So glad we went along with his recommendation. We were met as soon as we got off the ship by our guide Bill. He was amazing. So enthusiastic about showing us his city. We learned so much from him about the city and we were able to pick and choose whatever we wanted to see. We had a great driver, George, who couldn't have been nicer. During our 10 day cruise we had many different tour guides thru different companies, Private Greece Tours was hands down the best company that we worked with.
Spain
1,115 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
We've just got back from the Greek Islands and did a four hour tour with PK Travel. Paul fitted in a lot of places for us and gave a running commentary on everything we saw. Brilliant tour company and a brilliant driver. I would certainly recommend them to anyone. Love to do it again

Di
4,787 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Originally posted by Sheindoors
We've just got back from the Greek Islands and did a four hour tour with PK Travel. Paul fitted in a lot of places for us and gave a running commentary on everything we saw. Brilliant tour company and a brilliant driver. I would certainly recommend them to anyone. Love to do it again

Di
Good to see another rave for PK travel..George was our driver. Such a great day!
Australia
1 Posts
Joined May 2013
We did the Disney Magic in the Mediterranean in July this year and as we had two families travelling together we opted to use Private Greece Tours.

The service by Nicholas our guide was exceptional. We were shown all the well known sites and he had all the historical info to match up with the places so by the time we arrived at the sites we knew where to go and then he was waiting exactly where he told us he would be once we had finished.
We had told Nikos when we booked, a rough plan of our day and the driver knew exactly where/when to take us so we were ahead of all the Disney buses/crowds. It was just perfect. His recommendation for lunch was also perfect and well priced. We were kept cool in the van and offered cold drinks often and entertained by his knowledge of the sites, history and culture. Best of all our guide did not carry on about tipping! We are Australian and many of our other tours had guides that stressed to us the importance of tipping. Nicholas did NOT talk about it.

We would recommend to others to use this company's service - professional all the way from initial email to final goodbye.
KENTUCKY
1 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
We recently used Private Greece Tours for a full day tour of Athens and were completely pleased. This company is very easy to work with as you plan your trip. Nikos responds to emails very quickly (given the time difference) and is eager to accommodate whatever it is you want. He even realized an error in our price quote and contacted us immediately to apologize and give us the corrected price. How refreshing!

We were met at the ship exactly as promised and whisked off to a wonderful day in Athens. Our guide, Mikos, recommended the best itinerary order to avoid the massive crowds and was certainly right. We entered the Acropolis with no delay and did not have to dodge the crowds. The entire day was filled with his expert knowledge and entertaining stories. He loves taking photos and eagerly volunteers to catch you in just the right spots for great vacation photos. We asked for an outdoor café for lunch and he immediately knew the place, followed by a stop at a local bakery for Greek pastries. This day in Athens was filled with constant laughter and remarkable experiences with Private Greece Tours. Can't recommend them enough!
MA
541 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Here's another vote for PK Travel in Athens. We found them last year on CC and had a great tour from our ship and back with Nick. We visited Athens and Cape Sounion. We were lucky enough to begin a cruise in Athens in October, 2013, so I emailed PK travel again and arranged a land based day from our hotel. Potoula promptly answered my emails. There were many tour choices offered by PK and we picked a day to Ancient Corinth, the Canal, Mycenae, Nafplion, and the Theater of Epidaurua. It was a full day with excellent commentary from our guide George. We also used this company for airport transfer to our hotel and ship transfer from our hotel. It was convenient and well done. So, we've used PK both ship and land based and found them excellent.
USA
91 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
We used Private Greece Tours for a one day tour of Athens just a few weeks ago. All communication with Nikos before our tour was very professional and reassuring to us as we had never done a private tour before - only small group. We knew exactly what to expect, and we were not disappointed. We easily met our driver, Makis, at the port and then were taken on an interesting tour of the city visiting the main attractions in addition to enjoying lunch at a cafe Makis suggested. At the changing of the guards ceremony Makis even got us to a position to be "first in line" for individual pictures with the guards. He was so enthusiastic about his city, his country, and his heritage sharing many pictures and books which had overlays to help us visualize the "before" while we were viewing the "after" ruins. Keeping in mind our time to be back on the ship, he modified our tour as needed to see the "must see" sights and many extras according to our schedule and our interests. This is definitely the way to see as much of Athens in one day as possible. When we are in Greece the next time, we will use Private Greece Tours again.
United States
57 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Originally posted by Kelly28
This will be our first time in Athens and we are leaning towards booking a 1/2day tour and the hanging around the
Plaka for the afternoon. Does anyone have advise on how we can make our way back to the port without any hassle? What would the cost be? Any "must see" sites that we should see in the afternoon ?
Kelly

In my opinion, this would be a good question for the Athens forum on TripAdvisor. I am planning our DIY port day in Athens myself and our plan is to allow at least an hour to get back. I understand you can travel to Piraeus terminal direct from Monastiraki metro in about 20 minutes, but don't cut it too close. If you take a taxi you will need to allow more time with traffic and be certain to agree on a price (ask on TA) BEFORE you go. It really helps to go online and look at maps of the area (with Metro stations designated). I have never been there but there is a wealth of information on TA and great DEs to help you with any question.
Texas
9 Posts
Joined May 2010
I made arrangements for our tour in Athens with Nikos Loukas and Private Greece tours several months prior to our arrival on the Celebrity Reflection. He responded promptly and courteously to all of my e-mails. On the day of our arrival in Athens, our driver was waiting for us.
Our tour driver, Thanos Papanikolaou, was fantastic and made our day in Athens so memorable. Thanos made sure we were well taken care of from securing the closest parking spots, to narrating the sights in his beautiful baritone voice, checking on our wishes for the day's itinerary, and taking us to the most delicious restaurant for lunch! It was a wonderful day from the moment we met!
The excellent service provided by this company made our day in Athens amazing!
Elkhart, IN USA
219 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
Originally posted by Gracie115
We used Private Greece Tours both last September for our Athens tour and again in early May this year. Both experiences were excellent. Last year was our first visit to Athens and our driver Alex, along with our guide Villeas did a wonderful job of showing us the city. They both were very knowledgeable and made the trip so much better than if we had been on our own.
Any thoughts driver vs driver & guide on private tours: better experience with the addition of a guide or could the tour have been just as good with only the driver?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Navigator of the Seas 4/5/03
Spelendor of the Seas 4/2/05
Adventure of the Seas 4/23/06
Pride of Hawaii 10/1/07
Radiance of the Seas 8/10/12
Vision of the Seas 5/3/15
Vision of the Seas 5/16/15
Vision of the Seas 5/10/17 The Baltics
Vision of the Seas 5/22/17 British Isles
Vision of the Seas 10/11/17 Fall Foliage
Serenade of the Seas 1/15/18
Vision of the Seas 1/12/19
Vision of the Seas 1/19/19
Serenade of the Seas 2/1/19

URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]

New Delhi, India
41 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Did you see the Acropolis museum as well?
What was the cost of your half day tour?
I Plan to take a private Athens shore excursion in October.
Your advice is very much appreciated.
Cincinnati, OH
5,780 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Just keep in mind that these are drivers only, not licensed tour guides, and are not permitted to enter the sights with you. They have no formal training at all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pam

Contact Pam

Previous cruises: Marina Barcelona to Southampton (2017); Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords RT Amsterdam (2016); Riviera Sands & Shores (2016); Riviera Mayan Mystique (2015); Riviera Istanbul to Barcelona (2014); Riviera Caribbean Hideaways (2014); Azamara Quest Adriatic Venice RT (2013); Azamara Quest Barcelona to Rome (2012), Marina Copenhagen to Stockholm (2011), Regatta Venice to Barcelona (2010), Nautica Athens to Rome (2009), Nautica Istanbul to Athens (2008)
Florida & Rhode Island
136 Posts
Joined May 2009
We booked a tour of Athens with PrivateGreeceTours (Sept. 2014). My inquiry & other emails were answered promptly by Nikos Loukis. Our driver, Makis, was waiting at the spot described in our instructions. He shared his considerable knowledge of Athens and Greek history with us on the way to the Acropolis and had pictures of the temple ruins with overlays to show how each probably looked in its heyday. When we returned to the car, he had a bottle of nice cold water waiting for us!! Each place we visited was wonderful and Makis gave the background info to really appreciate what we saw. When we decided we were too tired to go the last stop on our tour, he quickly suggested other things that would not require so much walking and returned us to the ship at the agreed upon time. Makis is very personable and knowledgeable and speaks very good english. You can't go wrong with him as your guide. This tour was the highlight of our cruise!! I still can't believe how much of Athens Makis showed us in one day!
Malaga
36 Posts
Joined May 2008
We have just returned from a wonder Greek cruise, but the highlight for us was our Athens tour with this company and their driver Elias. He took us everywhere and was very knowledgeable. I would highly recommend them and wish hopefully use them again in the future as Athens was such a lovely city.
GA
1 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Earlier this month, my siblings and I sent our parents on a cruise to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary. Since their cruise ship departed from Athens, we decided to fly them into Athens a couple of days in advance to explore the city before their cruise started. I wanted to find them a tour or excursion package that would be as easy for them to navigate as possible since this was their first trip abroad in over 15 years. That's when we found Private Greece Tours. I was blown away by how many positive reviews they had on TripAdvisor and wondered if they were just too good to be true. However, I quickly found out that Private Greece Tours lives up to all of the positive 5 star reviews. Nikos was our main point of contact throughout the booking process. He responded to every single one of my emails (and trust me, I sent him a ton of questions...) very promptly and professionally. He even helped me select an excellent hotel in Athens within our budget! My parents later told me that their two Private Greece Tours was one of the highlights of their trip! Their driver Makis was punctual both mornings for pick-up - he showed up right at their hotel entrance when he said he would. He was incredibly courteous and would check-in with them to ensure that they had enough refreshments and water throughout the trip. He was flexible and attentive to what they wanted out of the tour, and he was very knowledgeable. My parents said that they literally just sat back and enjoyed the tour without a single worry about anything else. I am 100% fully satisfied with the service that Nikos and Makis provided us, and we felt that our money was very well spent. I would absolutely recommend Private Greece Tours. There's no need to search any further for your touring needs in Athens!
Long Island, NY
7,237 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by Marcopolo777
Did you see the Acropolis museum as well?

What was the cost of your half day tour?

I Plan to take a private Athens shore excursion in October.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

We used PK Travel Tours, half day private tour. Used the referrals from this board. If you do a search you can see all the remarks. Go to the PKTravelGreece website, there is a complete listing. They will offer you a quote.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New York
284 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Many on this forum suggest to book a tour with just a driver. As far as I understand these drivers have good historical background and quite knowledgeable. That’s OK. When I was booking my first cruise (it was Baltic) and was choosing a tour company for St. Petersburg/Russia I wanted to have a guide-driver. All the companies I was in correspondence with refused to provide such service. All had the same explanation – it’s not safe to drive and guide at the same time…. Any thought….????? Will it be safe in Greece? Thank you!
Jess
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Long Island, NY
7,237 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by CrazyJess
Many on this forum suggest to book a tour with just a driver. As far as I understand these drivers have good historical background and quite knowledgeable. That’s OK. When I was booking my first cruise (it was Baltic) and was choosing a tour company for St. Petersburg/Russia I wanted to have a guide-driver. All the companies I was in correspondence with refused to provide such service. All had the same explanation – it’s not safe to drive and guide at the same time…. Any thought….????? Will it be safe in Greece? Thank you!
Jess

St Petersburg is totally different than Athens. I've been to both. The most important thing is that in SPB the tour company has a special visa for you that requires them to accompany you with a licensed guide. If you don't have the guide, and you are a U.S. Citizen then you can't travel in Russia without applying for an individual tourist visa. No tourist visa is needed for American citizens in Greece

It is very safe in Greece. Tourism is really the only thing they have now that provides jobs. The Greek government does all to protect that. The Greek people on the most part appreciate the tourists and are very friendly
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
960 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
We just returned from a fantastic tour in Athens with vassilios who owns Athens tours. This was a private taxi tour in a well kept Mercedes. Vassilios was very knowledgeable about all the stops and had streaming video in the taxi to show us snippets of each stop before we got there. We did not feel the need for an added guide. He provided a guidebook, reviewed things we should see before we arrived at the site and had a wealth of knowledge about Greece and Athens. He also got us to the Acropolis early so that we were at the top with only about 20 other people. Much better than the group tours that were crowding their way up when we were leaving. What I loved about vassilios compared to other tour companies is that it was like seeing Athens with a trusted family member. He took us to out of the way places, a great small restaurant for lunch and provided wonderful insights about living in Greece. His prices were very reasonable and less then the other private tour companies frequently recommended here. Please note that there are many tour companies with similar names. His is Vassilios at athenstours.gr