Where does AZ dock in Venice?

dbali

Trying to plan a cruise on Quest and would like to know where the ship docks in Venice. We are thinking of doing the Redentore Festival and would also like suggestions on which side of the ship our cabin should be on.

Azamara always docks at the San Basilio terminal which is near the large cruise ship terminal. If you search Azamara's website it will give you directions to the pier. The ship can dock on either side depending on conditions so which side of the ship your room is on really is unimportant.

We were on the Journey last June, docked at San Basilio overnight. The Captain actually turned the ship full circle on arrival so that the port side was port side! I can't even remember which side our room was, but the view either way is interesting. Every time we have visited Venice it has been hot, humid and crowded. It is very tiring.

We prefer a higher deck on any cruise and tend to opt for starboard, but if you can, choose deck 7 or 8. Can be some noise on eight from above when furniture is moved in the morning.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Ann.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Journey last June, docked at San Basilio overnight. The Captain actually turned the ship full circle on arrival so that the port side was port side! I can't even remember which side our room was, but the view either way is interesting. Every time we have visited Venice it has been hot, humid and crowded. It is very tiring.

We prefer a higher deck on any cruise and tend to opt for starboard, but if you can, choose deck 7 or 8. Can be some noise on eight from above when furniture is moved in the morning.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Ann.

Have never had a "noise" problem on Deck 8 in a CC cabin. Now, we once were "upgraded" to a forward suite on Deck 7 and the noise from dropping the anchor chain was enough to wake the dead!

San Basilio is reachable by land or water taxi, as well as vaporetto. It can be a long walk from the Customs House to where the ship is moored. Our first Journey cruise out of Venice was from Marittimo --- back when she was Celebrity. Marittimo is now reserved for the larger ships.

Edited by Globehoppers

San Basilio is much more convenient than Marittima, since it is very close to a vaporetto stop whereas from Marittima you have to walk halfway across Italy just to get to the People Mover [insert Hyperbole emoticon] You can also walk from San Basilio to tourist sites in Dorsoduro [e.g. Accademia] through less-touristy back routes. And at the end of your cruise, the Hilton Stucky Mulino is directly across the canal.

San Basilio is much more convenient than Marittima, since it is very close to a vaporetto stop whereas from Marittima you have to walk halfway across Italy just to get to the People Mover [insert Hyperbole emoticon] You can also walk from San Basilio to tourist sites in Dorsoduro [e.g. Accademia] through less-touristy back routes. And at the end of your cruise, the Hilton Stucky Mulino is directly across the canal.

Sounds like a comment from someone who has never walked the full length of the pier on a hot day or in the rain dragging a carryon. It is NOT convenient for passengers.

Sounds like a comment from someone who has never walked the full length of the pier on a hot day or in the rain dragging a carryon. It is NOT convenient for passengers.

I will respectfully disagree. I loved our RT cruise out of Venice last Sept., and found walking from our Dorsoduro hotel to San Basilio to be not only do-able, but downright pleasant. Had thought about getting a water taxi or vaporetto but that was completely unnecessary. Enjoy the stroll, you will not be alone!

Docking in Venice twice in May, we had a shuttle bus between the terminal building and the gangway. Ran continuously. No need to walk. Very convenient docking location.

Does Azamara provide the shuttle? Sailing on the Quest out of Venice in Sept.

Does Azamara provide the shuttle? Sailing on the Quest out of Venice in Sept.

Every time we've been docked at San Basilio a shuttle has been provided, although we usually find it quicker to walk.

• 4 weeks later...
Do Aramark provide a shuttle from Venice San Marco to San basillo.

They didn't in May but it's a very short walk to a vaporetto stop. Unfortunately there is a bridge on the walk so it's not too convenient with heavy luggage.

• 10 months later...
Anyone know?

Not ever tried it but there’s a Vaporetto stop at San Basilio and I think water taxis can drop of there as we’ve often seen them there. For information it is easy to reach San Basilio by normal taxi as there’s car parking directly behind. Be aware there is quite a walk from the cruise terminal to the ship, about 100mts depending which docking location is used. There’s no shelter between the two but there’s a small shuttle bus for those who require it.

I may be able to tell you later in July after our cruise finishes in Venice.

Thank you! I'd really appreciate that.

Not ever tried it but there’s a Vaporetto stop at San Basilio and I think water taxis can drop of there as we’ve often seen them there. For information it is easy to reach San Basilio by normal taxi as there’s car parking directly behind. Be aware there is quite a walk from the cruise terminal to the ship, about 100mts depending which docking location is used. There’s no shelter between the two but there’s a small shuttle bus for those who require it.

So are you saying we'll have a shorter walk if we use a traditional taxi vs. a water taxi? I'm not even sure if a traditional taxi could get near our hotel.

Thank you! I'd really appreciate that.

So are you saying we'll have a shorter walk if we use a traditional taxi vs. a water taxi? I'm not even sure if a traditional taxi could get near our hotel.

No it’s not a long walk from either but conventional taxi from the airport would be a lot cheaper than water taxis. Hotels are of course a different matter, we have booked Palazzo Veneziano which is a short walk from San Basilio, in fact they recommend using a conventional taxi and dropping off in San Basilio’s car park. For a lot of the other hotels water taxis are the most convenient, if expensive, way to navigate Venice.

If we just have a night pre cruise we normally book a hotel in Mestre, it’s easy to get into Venice by bus and some hotels have a shuttle bus service to the cruise terminals.

Our pre booked car from Marco Polo Airport to San Basilio is €38, last month Azamara’s Transfers in Barcelona were $31.50pp which we booked using up some of our OBC.

Last year we used Azamara’s Transfers in Venice again to use OBC, I think the price was similar, but the busses weren’t allowed close to the terminal at the airport and it was quite a trek, don’t know if it’s the same this year but we will find out in September.