'Phoning from Land to Ship

GeriatricNurse

Of, if you leave your phone turned on, you can answer that. Will be $2.99 a minute.

If you are in port while in Canada, the cost will be less. Way less if you sign up for the $5 or $10 a day plan many carriers have.

Of, if you leave your phone turned on, you can answer that. Will be $2.99 a minute.

If you are in port while in Canada, the cost will be less. Way less if you sign up for the $5 or $10 a day plan many carriers have.

Just be careful if you do decide to leave your phone on. Most phones have apps that use data in the background or email pushes to the phone etc. That means that you could be racking up international roaming and data charges while you aren't using it.

From outside the US the caller dials 1.732.335.3280. They will be prompted to enter which ship and provide a credit card for the charge. I don't know how much it costs. Enjoy your cruise!

Does anyone know why they use a New Jersey area code?

You can call them for $4.99 per minute from your stateroom. Just let them know it will show up as Miami Florida. Or get the "day pass" option from your phone carrier. My phone carrier charges $10 per 24 hour period but you need to be calling from land and as long as the country you are in is included. Email is an easy way for them to contact you and then you can call them back. I think it is aprox. $15 per minute for them to call your stateroom so I never encourage my family to do that.

Yes... silly me.

I (almost) always add the biggest to know about a phone at sea.

TURN OFF DATA ROAMING. And for those that say they do not know how... trust me... you can figure it out. If not, ask your 8 year old.

From outside the US the caller dials 1.732.335.3280. They will be prompted to enter which ship and provide a credit card for the charge. I don't know how much it costs. Enjoy your cruise!
That's Dial A Ship. The person calling the ship is charged $7.95 a minute! That will call the ship and they will try to connect you directly to the persons cabin phone. If nobody answers the operator can take a message and have it delivered to the room.

Toll free number for Dial A Ship is 888-627-4477 although that might be for US only.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just be careful if you do decide to leave your phone on. Most phones have apps that use data in the background or email pushes to the phone etc. That means that you could be racking up international roaming and data charges while you aren't using it.

Put your phone in airplane mode and you will be fine

I think most folks replying here may be confusing the issue. I believe you are talking about STATEROOM phone calls, not CELLPHONE calls. The information provided by Bitterman is correct.

For those wondering why someone would choose to use the stateroom phone vs. a cell phone, it is because a cellphone only works when you have a signal (unpredictable - even though it uses the ship's satellite) - however the stateroom phone should always (at least, in my experience) have a strong signal. If you are monitoring a family situation at home, for example, it is much more reliable to have someone from home call your stateroom phone vs. cell phone. At minimum, they should have the instructions for calling the ship as a backup.

Put your phone in airplane mode and you will be fine

Sorry. Bad advice. If you want to receive a phone call, being in airplane mode means it will not ring.

As to the other idea of calling the ship. Chances are you will not be in the room and will have to call back. At that point, you might as well use your cell phone. Way less cost than using the ships phone.

That's Dial A Ship. The person calling the ship is charged $7.95 a minute! That will call the ship and they will try to connect you directly to the persons cabin phone. If nobody answers the operator can take a message and have it delivered to the room.

Toll free number for Dial A Ship is 888-627-4477 although that might be for US only.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That is for the U.S. only. Here is the complete answer from NCL FAQ's:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#staying-in-touch

Sorry. Bad advice. If you want to receive a phone call, being in airplane mode means it will not ring.

As to the other idea of calling the ship. Chances are you will not be in the room and will have to call back. At that point, you might as well use your cell phone. Way less cost than using the ships phone.

I was responding to the advice of being afraid of having apps run in the background and racking up roaming fees

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app