Teppanyaki and Kids

Good question would like to know as well. Tried to book on line but only 2 or 4 quests and I need only 3 seats. They wanted 143.00 on my card for 4. Would have changed to 3 on board but will not put anything on my card prior to the trip except final payments.

Shouldn't that be off the Children's Menu -- not the MDR menu

Yes, probably meant kids menu from mdr. Kids can order from kids menu at any specialty restaurant but may take a bit longer to arrive if you are far from the main galley .

Are children able to go and order from the MDR kids menu or are they charged the adult price?

Kids can order from the kid’s menu for free at all restaurants. They are not going to get food from the MDR galley for you.

a165f240108502f8395a8dbcee9e2bd3.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We took 3 kids there last week, and they told us they had to charge us for them. The 11 year old ordered from the specialty menu, so we expected to pay for her. The 8 and 4 year olds ordered from standard kids menu, and the server tried to talk us into ordering from specialty menu for 4 year old because he “had to charge us” anyway. We stuck with kids menu, and in the end they didn’t charge for 4 year old but did charge for 8 year old, telling us they “only charged for one of the kids”. This was not at all what I expected, but it was an extended family cruise and my father in law just paid the bill without complain.

Again, this is not how I thought it was supposed to work, but posting as a warning that others may encounter the same. This was on the 5/25 sailing of the Dawn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We took 3 kids there last week, and they told us they had to charge us for them. The 11 year old ordered from the specialty menu, so we expected to pay for her. The 8 and 4 year olds ordered from standard kids menu, and the server tried to talk us into ordering from specialty menu for 4 year old because he “had to charge us” anyway. We stuck with kids menu, and in the end they didn’t charge for 4 year old but did charge for 8 year old, telling us they “only charged for one of the kids”. This was not at all what I expected, but it was an extended family cruise and my father in law just paid the bill without complain.

Again, this is not how I thought it was supposed to work, but posting as a warning that others may encounter the same. This was on the 5/25 sailing of the Dawn.

You should have taken this up with the Hotel Director right away after leaving the restaurant. It isn't supposed to work that way at all.

You should have taken this up with the Hotel Director right away after leaving the restaurant. It isn't supposed to work that way at all.

It was the last night and we didn’t care enough to pursue it. Several members of our group had been sick for a day earlier in the week, my 9 month old who sleeps great at home had been up 5 times every night, and although I knew it wasn’t supposed to work that way I just let it go for the sake of family peace. We were sailing in suites and I am sure the concierge would have looked into it if we had asked him to.

Edit: the kid they charged for was actually my niece, not one of my kids in my cabin, so I guess it wasn’t really my battle to fight anyway.

It has always been my understanding that Teppanyaki's was the exception to the rule about kids eating free if ordering off the kids menu.I have this has to do with the space issue. They take up a seat just like adults and as we all know the seating is very limited.

It has always been my understanding that Teppanyaki's was the exception to the rule about kids eating free if ordering off the kids menu.I have this has to do with the space issue. They take up a seat just like adults and as we all know the seating is very limited.

I agree. Some ships have only one or 2 Teppanyaki tables seating 10 at a time, for 3 or 4 time slots per day.

I've seen folks post that they were charged and some post that they weren't. I do think NCL should be charging the fixed rate for anyone who takes up a seat, since there are so few of them.

I've seen folks post that they were charged and some post that they weren't. I do think NCL should be charging the fixed rate for anyone who takes up a seat, since there are so few of them.

I do as well. Some specialty dining rooms are very different due to their size. My advise to anyone, is be prepared to pay for your kids regardless how much they are going to eat. Remember it is a show as well as a meal and kids seem to love it.

We were on the Getaway last March and ate there. If you add a chair to fit between you then the child is not charged but if they are taken up an original seat at the table then they do not charge. At least that was our experience.

We were on the Getaway last March and ate there. If you add a chair to fit between you then the child is not charged but if they are taken up an original seat at the table then they do not charge. At least that was our experience.

Add a chair? I hope not. It’s already crowded to the point you are already bumping elbows while eating.

Add a chair? I hope not. It’s already crowded to the point you are already bumping elbows while eating.

Unless it is only one family at the table, adding a chair will only make in more uncomfortable for everyone else.

The food itself can be very kid friendly. Why not pay for them and have them actually experience the restaurant? As long as they are watching the chef cook, wouldn't it be better if he is cooking their food?

The food itself can be very kid friendly. Why not pay for them and have them actually experience the restaurant? As long as they are watching the chef cook, wouldn't it be better if he is cooking their food?

DW and I both have SDP so we used our meals here. Yes, we go to Benihana some times so I know what the food is like -- the kids just like the kids menu and there's no point paying any extra for them to eat steak/shrimp/chicken/etc when they are satisfied with the burger/mac-n-cheese.

Well said.

Children should be strongly encouraged to try new things--and if they see it being cooked they may like it more.