Is There Any Reason to Purchase Beverage Package in Advance?

mnocket

I have OBC from both my TA and Azamara. It seems that only the Azamara OBC is available for making pre-boarding purchases. So my plan is buy our beverage packages once we board so I can use all of our OBC towards this cost. It seems to me that there is no reason not to wait until we board to make this purchase. Am I wrong?

Yes you can use all the OBC to purchase a beverage package however reading the thread about now being able to prebook shore excursions with OBC I don’t think you can purchase beverage packages in advance using OBC at the moment. Also depends which beverage package but if you are a LCV member you would get a discount on the Ultimate Package but this only applies to onboard purchases.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have OBC from both my TA and Azamara. It seems that only the Azamara OBC is available for making pre-boarding purchases. So my plan is buy our beverage packages once we board so I can use all of our OBC towards this cost. It seems to me that there is no reason not to wait until we board to make this purchase. Am I wrong?

Yes, if you're going to use your OBC to purchase a drink package you'll need to wait until you board. There's no hurry...these never sell out :beer-toast::champagne-toast:

But if I may clarify the highlighted sentence above, OBC received from your travel agent is also applicable towards pre-purchasing our shore excursions through the new functionality of our Voyage Planner.

The wrinkle is that sometimes travel agents don't 'fund' the OBC they are gifting until final payment is due, and 'unfunded' OBC doesn't show up until paid. So your Voyage Planner may not yet be reflecting the OBC your travel professional has offered you. On the plus side, a) it will show up, and b) it will be refundable thus it'll be the last used by our system (which uses non-refundable first.) And if you don't use refundable OBC it'll be a credit on your shipboard account.

Yes, if you're going to use your OBC to purchase a drink package you'll need to wait until you board. There's no hurry...these never sell out :beer-toast::champagne-toast:

But if I may clarify the highlighted sentence above, OBC received from your travel agent is also applicable towards pre-purchasing our shore excursions through the new functionality of our Voyage Planner.

The wrinkle is that sometimes travel agents don't 'fund' the OBC they are gifting until final payment is due, and 'unfunded' OBC doesn't show up until paid. So your Voyage Planner may not yet be reflecting the OBC your travel professional has offered you. On the plus side, a) it will show up, and b) it will be refundable thus it'll be the last used by our system (which uses non-refundable first.) And if you don't use refundable OBC it'll be a credit on your shipboard account.

Yep I am caught in the "wrinkle". Thanks for clarifying using OBC for the beverage package. No big deal to wait until we board.

If you're sailing out of a Spanish port, then yes, buy that beverage package ahead of time or be subject to their *wonderful* VAT tax.

Not sure if it will apply, last month we did an Azamara cruise from Rome to Barcelona, onboard purchases were subject to 22% Italian VAT. We purchased Beverage packages onboard to use our OBC but there was no VAT added to the cost. As the VAT regulations are actually EU regulations I would assume the same would apply.

Just looked at what information is available online, looks like the Italians impose VAT at 22% on goods and services but not food and drinks while the Spanish impose 10% VAT on bar & restaurant purchases. Malta and the U.K. have also been imposing VAT but I’ve no information on what it actually applies to.

One important thing is if any of the ports of call are outside the EU then the VAT rules no longer applies. This is why Gibraltar and Kotor, Montenegro are often in itineraries. However the irrespective of this the Spanish 10% applies when the ships in Spanish waters.

All very simple - not!

Good to learn about the VAT, albiet a bit confusing! We are on the Pursuit TA from Barcelona, first stop is Gibraltar. We plan to buy the bev pkg using OBC, when would be the best time to do this to avoid the VAT...After we leave Gibraltar? :confused:

Good to learn about the VAT, albiet a bit confusing! We are on the Pursuit TA from Barcelona, first stop is Gibraltar. We plan to buy the bev pkg using OBC, when would be the best time to do this to avoid the VAT...After we leave Gibraltar? :confused:

As Gibraltar is a tax free port, I would think it would be best to buy it in Gibraltar.

Best to ask onboard before you purchase, but I believe once you are out of Spanish Waters then there should be no VAT. As it’s a TA you are traveling outside the European Union anyway so the VAT rules do not apply to your cruise, it’s only for cruises that have all the port stops within the EU.

Thank you both for the good info. Will definitely ask as I don’t want the VAT to offset our LCV discount :o

I've done a few 'boat rides' over the years and never was aware of taxes that can be added to a purchased on board package if not at sea because I only purchase things like beverage plans and tours well in advance. Thanks to all for the info in your posts.

I'd bet that the majority of TAs don't tell their customers that such taxes can exist if buying packages while not at sea unless they've read this thread :o