Swine Flu in Mexico

board_jay

So there is a lot of media about this new swine flu and talks of a possible pandemic - you know the media. However, it's enough of a concern that I am wondering if our ship will go to Cozumel in 2 weeks? We are on the Enchantment on May 7th. If the US posts travel advisories to avoid Mexico, will our ship go somewhere else like Grand Cayman or Jamaica or just cancel Cozumel and give us some credit since it will just be another day at sea?

From what I've read all of the bad cases have been in Mexico City and along the Ca/AZ borders. I too am sailing to Cozumel in 9 days and not too worried about it. I'm super cautious about what I eat/drink there and I'm OCD about washing my hands anyways.

No worries yet. The only cases are in Mexico City, along with New York, Arizona, and California. Mexico City is over 800 miles from Cozumel, about the same as the distance between Seattle, WA and San Francisco CA or from New York City to Chicago. Something to definitely keep an eye on, same as in your hometown since it's in the USA too, but unless reported cases pop up in Cancun or Playa del Carmen, there is nothing to worry about.

we are in cozumel in a week, we are getting pretty concerned

Why? All the information out there says there is no problems of this nature in the Mexican Yucatan, Riviera Maya regoion including Cozumel.

U.S. Embassy offers advice

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico has posted a warden's message to its Web site advising U.S. citizens to avoid large crowds, shaking hands, greeting people with a kiss or using the subway.

"The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Mexico that most cases of influenza are not swine flu," the message states, urging people to refer specific questions about the flu to a medical professional.

The embassy also says it will post additional information as it becomes available at: http://www.usembassy-mexico.gov

It also lists contact information for its American Citizens Services, which can be reached at (55) 5080-2000. For after-hours emergencies, it says to call (55) 5080-2000, ext. "0", and ask to speak to the duty officer.

-THE NEWS

This article indicates that students in NYC have the Swine Flu and they were recently in Cancun. This is too close for comfort given that I am supposed to be on a cruise ship that stops in Cozumel in 2 weeks. Think it's time to call RCCL and see what their take is on this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_swine_flu_states

Swine flu confirmed in NYC high school students

By KAREN MATTHEWS, Associated Press Writer Karen Matthews, Associated Press Writer – 14 mins ago

NEW YORK – New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg says that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed that students at a city high school were infected with swine flu.

New York officials previously had said they were eight "probable" cases, but tests later confirmed that it was indeed swine flu. Bloomberg stressed that the cases were mild and many are recovering.

The city is awaiting the tests of additional samples to see if more St. Francis Preparatory School students were infected.

About 100 students complained of flu-like symptoms at the school. Some students went to Cancun on a spring break trip two weeks ago.

Yet there are ZERO cases of swine flu in Cancun. The students in New York may have brought it with them, but if they did not travel to Cozumel, it would be impossible that their illness made the forty mile trip across the open Caribbean and landed on Cozumel. This is transmitted person to person.

The article makes me moe fearful of visiting New York than the Riviera Maya, Cozumel... or even Cancun.

You've been to Cozumel I take is so understand that it's pretty easy to get from Cancun to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. I am just pointing out that there is additional information in a developing story and everything I've read links the source to Mexico and now there is info that suggests/implies this flu could be in an area that I am supposed to visit. So I am none too psyched about that.

You've been to Cozumel I take is so understand that it's pretty easy to get from Cancun to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. I am just pointing out that there is additional information in a developing story and everything I've read links the source to Mexico and now there is info that suggests/implies this flu could be in an area that I am supposed to visit. So I am none too psyched about that.

Texas, Califiornia, Kansas and New York have confirmed cases, maybe more. There are 1000 suspected cases near Mexico City´s surrounding area but none in the Yucatan Peninsula area.

I think it is prudent to be concerned and take precatuions, but If you are cruising to Cozumel there seems to be very little risk that you would be exposed to the Mexican population from those areas. I don´t think it hurts anyone traveling to consult their physician and he may recommend a flu shot, which I think many are recommending even for non traveling patients.

They have identified cases in New Zealand as well.

In Central Mexico’s San Luis Potosi, 24 cases of the illness and three deaths have been reported. Four case of the flu also have been reported in Mexicali, near the U.S. border. No deaths were reported in those cases.

Of the Mexican cases, 18 have been laboratory confirmed in Canada as swine flu, while 12 of those are genetically identical to the swine flu viruses from California. The majority of the cases were reported in otherwise healthy young adults.

The flu usually hits the very young and the very old hard, but these age groups have not been heavily affected in Mexico.

But still nothing about the Mexican Yucatan & Riviera Maya areas.

we are in cozumel in a week, we are getting pretty concerned

I am also with you in the concerns as I am leaving for Cozumel &

Costa Maya this Saturday.

I am surprised that some people are taking this so lightly, a;though it is their right.

I myself, am caling my doctor on Monday and see what he has to say about a possible flu shot.

It is all that I am seeing on the news and reading in the paper the past 2 days, so I believe it is more than just a mere "wash your hands"...

Just my .o2 worth:D:D

I am also with you in the concerns as I am leaving for Cozumel &

Costa Maya this Saturday.

I am surprised that some people are taking this so lightly, a;though it is their right.

I myself, am caling my doctor on Monday and see what he has to say about a possible flu shot.

It is all that I am seeing on the news and reading in the paper the past 2 days, so I believe it is more than just a mere "wash your hands"...

Just my .o2 worth:D:D

Just FYI - it takes about 2 weeks for the flu shot to become effective and according to the CDC it will not protect you against this particular flu virus....

"Is the H1N1 swine flu virus the same as human H1N1 viruses?

No. The H1N1 swine flu viruses are antigenically very different from human H1N1 viruses and, therefore, vaccines for human seasonal flu would not provide protection from H1N1 swine flu viruses."

In case anyone is interested in reading more information about this virus - please check out a reliable source of information such as the following: http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/key_facts.htm

I called Carnival this morning since my ship departs on May 9th. So far no itinerary changes have been made but that was before the CDC declared a "medical emergency."

The Swine Flu is definitely more than "just wash your hands" since many young, otherwise healthy people have been infected. But if we still stop in Mexico, I will still get off the ship, albeit with a respiratory mask! They would make a great shop for my scrapbook! :D

I don't mean to set off any alarms but we did just return from Cozumel and now my daughter has been sick since then. She is only 2 and that night (thursday) after getting back to the boat she experienced a very high fever that she still has along with general flu-like symptoms.

She spent some time in the kids program so I discounted it as that until we got home and started reading and hearing all the reports. On the way back from snorkeling in Cozumel we walked across the street to a farm area where they kept some horses for another excursion. My other daughter rode one of the horses but it made me suspicious if my 2 year old could have contracted something like swine flu there. My other daughter has a great immunity and has not displayed any problems. We are washing our hands and keeping a close eye on it.

Just FYI - it takes about 2 weeks for the flu shot to become effective and according to the CDC it will not protect you against this particular flu virus....

"Is the H1N1 swine flu virus the same as human H1N1 viruses?

No. The H1N1 swine flu viruses are antigenically very different from human H1N1 viruses and, therefore, vaccines for human seasonal flu would not provide protection from H1N1 swine flu viruses."

In case anyone is interested in reading more information about this virus - please check out a reliable source of information such as the following: http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/key_facts.htm

Just FYI maybe if you would actually read the article you would know that there are four types of flu medications and two of them have been proven to help prevent and treat the swine flu. So if anyone is going to be traveling to mexico I would recommend it. Besides who wants to risk being sick on thier vacation, I am going to cozumel in about two weeks and I will more than likely be taking one of those two before I go.

And for anyone who is worried about this here is a direct qoute from the CDC "Are there medicines to treat swine flu? Yes. CDC recommends the use of oseltamivir or zanamivir for the treatment and/or prevention of infection with these swine influenza viruses." Also they say if you start feeling sick take the medicine withing 48 hrs and the symptoms will greatly decrease.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/swineflu_you.htm

Just FYI maybe if you would actually read the article you would know that there are four types of flu medications and two of them have been proven to help prevent and treat the swine flu. So if anyone is going to be traveling to mexico I would recommend it. Besides who wants to risk being sick on thier vacation, I am going to cozumel in about two weeks and I will more than likely be taking one of those two before I go.

And for anyone who is worried about this here is a direct qoute from the CDC "Are there medicines to treat swine flu? Yes. CDC recommends the use of oseltamivir or zanamivir for the treatment and/or prevention of infection with these swine influenza viruses." Also they say if you start feeling sick take the medicine withing 48 hrs and the symptoms will greatly decrease.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/swineflu_you.htm

I did read the article - my post was in response to the poster who mentioned a flu SHOT.

I don't mean to set off any alarms but we did just return from Cozumel and now my daughter has been sick since then. She is only 2 and that night (thursday) after getting back to the boat she experienced a very high fever that she still has along with general flu-like symptoms.

She spent some time in the kids program so I discounted it as that until we got home and started reading and hearing all the reports. On the way back from snorkeling in Cozumel we walked across the street to a farm area where they kept some horses for another excursion. My other daughter rode one of the horses but it made me suspicious if my 2 year old could have contracted something like swine flu there. My other daughter has a great immunity and has not displayed any problems. We are washing our hands and keeping a close eye on it.

JMO but I seriously doubt your daughter would have exhibited symptoms that quickly, more likely it's something she picked up a couple days before. Also, how does being around a horse fit into it?

I think if she had caught swine flu in Coz, there would be some documented cases of the locals having it by now.

But by all means, if you think its swine flu, get that baby to the hospital quickly..if thats what it is, the rest of the US needs to know.

Hope she feels better soon; it hurts to see them sick.

my wife is a B.S.R.N. so I will take her advice over all of the so called "experts" on this board...no offense to anyone

this thing seems to be exploding over the last few days, and the Columbus airport is offering "yellow-slips" to anyone traveling to mexico

I am not exactly thrilled at this point, we love cozumel, but would really like carnival to re-route us to another port next week

my wife is a B.S.R.N. so I will take her advice over all of the so called "experts" on this board...no offense to anyone

this thing seems to be exploding over the last few days, and the Columbus airport is offering "yellow-slips" to anyone traveling to mexico

I am not exactly thrilled at this point, we love cozumel, but would really like carnival to re-route us to another port next week

DG2004,

I would also not mind be re-routed. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Another one of our port is Costa Maya so I am not sure if we will even be getting off of the ship at these ports if they chose to stop.

I would think those students in Cancun would be considered a local case of swine flu in relation to the distance to Cozumel. Especially when you consider the other cruisers who did go on to Cancun for excursions.

The exposure to the horse is relative in the fact both horses and pigs live on farms. The same farmer that tends a horse, tends to the need of a pig. The 9-year old in Elyria, Ohio visited a farm in Mexico and that is what is being reported to contributing to his contracting swine flu.

I'm not making a declarative statement. Just giving my personal experience in the matter. The cruise line assured the guests many times, that they would in no way- take any guest to an area that would cause harm.

I found in the CDC website that it's 1-3 days, then contageous up to 10 days. :eek:

If the crew is exposed on the previous voyage, they'd be sick by the time we get on (next Sunday). Maybe they will halt the port calls so our trip will be a little less risky??????

I hear that CCL management will hold a meeting today (Monday) to decide what to do. I know their phones are ringing off the walls!!!

Archived