MSC in the Caribbean

Roburt

Up till now, we've only taken MSC cruises in Europe ... one a few years back and a 10 day northern Europe cruise that ended only a week ago.

We've now booked a Caribbean cruise with MSC ... sailing out of Miami on MSC Divina on Thursday Feb 21st. We enjoyed our recent cruise with them apart from a couple of aspects of it. The chefs attempts at British meals were laughable (crispy fish & chips that were totally soggy & Yorkshire puddings so heavy they could easily have sunk the ship) but our main complaint was the awful on-board entertainment. In 10 nights we failed to sit through more than 10 minutes of the shows in the theatre (operatic style singing, ballet inspired dance routines, boring jugglers & trapeze artists, etc) and it wasn't just our opinion as the venue was less than half full for every show. The on-board live music rooms were no better; MOR crooner type shows, string trios, boring piano players and an Abba tribute duo (I hate Abba pop songs).

Hopefully, with the majority of cruisers with MSC in the Caribbean being Americans / Canadians, the entertainment can't be as dire & old fashioned when their ships sail out of Florida ... or can it ??

Up till now, we've only taken MSC cruises in Europe ... one a few years back and a 10 day northern Europe cruise that ended only a week ago.

We've now booked a Caribbean cruise with MSC ... sailing out of Miami on MSC Divina on Thursday Feb 21st. We enjoyed our recent cruise with them apart from a couple of aspects of it. The chefs attempts at British meals were laughable (crispy fish & chips that were totally soggy & Yorkshire puddings so heavy they could easily have sunk the ship) but our main complaint was the awful on-board entertainment. In 10 nights we failed to sit through more than 10 minutes of the shows in the theatre (operatic style singing, ballet inspired dance routines, boring jugglers & trapeze artists, etc) and it wasn't just our opinion as the venue was less than half full for every show. The on-board live music rooms were no better; MOR crooner type shows, string trios, boring piano players and an Abba tribute duo (I hate Abba pop songs).

Hopefully, with the majority of cruisers with MSC in the Caribbean being Americans / Canadians, the entertainment can't be as dire & old fashioned when their ships sail out of Florida ... or can it ??

good day - probably not much difference than u have experienced - on our latest cruises in theCaribbean on MSC, the Americans/Canadians were still a big minority - europeans were about 70% of the ship...

That's disappointing as on previous Caribbean cruises, we've really enjoyed the company of the many Canadians & US citizens. Hopefully less Europeans will be taking this particular cruise. The recent MSC cruise we took was a bit different to our experiences with Princess, Celebrity, Holland America & Royal Caribbean. On our recent MSC cruise, just about all the on-board teams were led by Italians ... these guys seemed to love being in charge but didn't actually really lead their teams effectively. Lots of waiters standing around in groups chatting, entertainment & reception staff giving you what they had decided you wanted even when you made it clear it wasn't what we actually wanted and ... MANY RULES just for the sack of it.

We docked a few times ahead of schedule on our recent cruise but although everything was ready, we couldn't leave the ship till the original stated time was reached. The food was out & ready in the buffet at breakfast but we weren't allowed to start serving ourselves till the stated opening time (6.30am). ALSO, you had to pay for every single thing on board ... films on the TV in your room, ice cream on deck (none available in the buffet), courtesy buses to & from the ship and use of the steam / sauna rooms. Most disappointing. JOHN SMITH (ROBURT)

After reading all of your comments about your previous experience with MSC I am very surprised you booked another cruise with them. The clientele on the Caribbean cruises is still very much European. They are very well known in Europe and have many followers who also enjoy coming to the U.S. to embark on Caribbean cruises. If you are expecting a "world change" in the clientele because it is a Caribbean itinerary, I'm afraid you are going to be sorely disappointed.

Please do not expect MSC to be like Princess, Celebrity, Holland or RCCL. They are not, and probably never will be. MSC has a distinct personality that is all its own, and I for one, appreciate the change.

Edited by gimletgal

That's disappointing as on previous Caribbean cruises, we've really enjoyed the company of the many Canadians & US citizens. Hopefully less Europeans will be taking this particular cruise. The recent MSC cruise we took was a bit different to our experiences with Princess, Celebrity, Holland America & Royal Caribbean. On our recent MSC cruise, just about all the on-board teams were led by Italians ... these guys seemed to love being in charge but didn't actually really lead their teams effectively. Lots of waiters standing around in groups chatting, entertainment & reception staff giving you what they had decided you wanted even when you made it clear it wasn't what we actually wanted and ... MANY RULES just for the sack of it.

We docked a few times ahead of schedule on our recent cruise but although everything was ready, we couldn't leave the ship till the original stated time was reached. The food was out & ready in the buffet at breakfast but we weren't allowed to start serving ourselves till the stated opening time (6.30am). ALSO, you had to pay for every single thing on board ... films on the TV in your room, ice cream on deck (none available in the buffet), courtesy buses to & from the ship and use of the steam / sauna rooms. Most disappointing. JOHN SMITH (ROBURT)

Our Sailerboy become John Smith? ;)

I can appreciate your point of view but can't say I agree with it. Being a Brit, I enjoy the different mix you get on Caribbean cruises with the US based lines. We actually booked the MSC Caribbean cruise ahead of going on our recent MSC trip in Europe.

If we hadn't already booked (& the itinerary of the MSC ship hadn't been perfect for us), I'm sure my wife wouldn't have agreed that we went on MSC again so soon.

Can only hope that the MSC Davina experience is better than the MSC Magica one & that the section heads actually do their jobs and don't just strut about (full of their own importance).

I can appreciate your point of view but can't say I agree with it. Being a Brit, I enjoy the different mix you get on Caribbean cruises with the US based lines. We actually booked the MSC Caribbean cruise ahead of going on our recent MSC trip in Europe.

If we hadn't already booked (& the itinerary of the MSC ship hadn't been perfect for us), I'm sure my wife wouldn't have agreed that we went on MSC again so soon.

Can only hope that the MSC Davina experience is better than the MSC Magica one & that the section heads actually do their jobs and don't just strut about (full of their own importance).

I understand. I think you will enjoy the Divina. It is a lovely ship with a great staff. I highly recommend a nightly "after dinner beverage" at the La Cantina di Bacco.

NCL has announced "significant fare increases" ....They didn`t have to-it shows. The MSC fares outta Miami are about 1000 bucks less with a free drinks pkg for identical cruzs. As long as the dam boat floats, the drinks are cold and I can sit on my balc, all the rest is just noise. Just came off a $3400. NCL Pearl cruz and the entertainment was horrid. The food was not bad, but nothing great. This may be the future of cruzing. Me thinks that NCL, CCL and RCL are in for a bookings shock this coming Spring! I really hope so!

In the past 12 months we have been on the Divina 3 times in the Caribbean. Never have we had a problem with non-USA guests. I keep hearing that MSC is not like the other cruise lines such as Princess, HAL, RCI, Celebrity and NCL. Sorry to disagree with that assessment. We have cruised them all and find very little difference with the exception of the food. Food is very subjective so I will not even address that. Entertainment, ship, cleanliness, etc., is excellent. I am not a cheerleader for any cruise line. Just stating the facts as I see them and have experienced them.

I have asked many times for someone to explain what they find so different about MSC compare to the other cruise lines. The biggest difference is the price. MSC provides the best bang for the buck.

This year we were on the Divina (Caribbean), Sinfonia (Med) and going on the Seaside (Caribbean.) We have also done 3 RCI cruises this year, too. So, we don't just cruise any one cruise line.

The different languages does not affect us as you get to accept it when it is used. People are very friendly regardless of where they are from. You have good and bad from any country.

A cruise is what you, yes, YOU make it. Happy Cruising!!!!

MSC experience is very different from RCI, HAL top ships (amenities, comfort, food, entertainment). Not always the best bang for the buck:confused:

We cruise on all cruise lines. Out next cruise will be on MSC.

Happy cruising!

Thanks for trying to explain the difference between MSC and the others. I am not trying to flame you. Just trying to find out what is so different.

However, we are Diamond+ on RCI, Elite+ on Celebrity, Elite on Princess, Silver on NCL, Black on MSC, etc. Have over 100 cruises.

We cruise them all and do a minimum of 7 cruises per year on the various cruise lines. We find them all about the same regardless of the cruise line.

MSC has excellent entertainment, ships are beautiful, prices are the most reasonable. Food we consider the lowest of all the cruise lines. But, food is very subjective.

What amenities, comfort do you consider to be very different from the other cruise lines?

That is why I still am looking for what is so different about MSC. Been cruising MSC since 2006 both in the Caribbean and Europe.

As I've already said, we booked our MSC Caribbean cruise ahead of taking the recent one on the Magica. The Magica is a smaller ship, so hopefully the theatre performers / shows will be of better quality (& not so old fashioned) on the Davina cruise. When the US came up with the worlds' best music (blues, gospel, R&B & soul) and a ship is sailing out of US ports for a whole season, it seems perverse to me to ignore local musicians & import 2nd rate ones from Europe ... MSC do seem to totally ignore the fact that the Beatles & UK beat groups happened and that they successfully sold US black music back to America & to the rest of the world.

BTW, we have no problem with cruising with any other guests (including Europeans). After all (despite Brexit), Brits are Europeans ... we just like the greater proportion of Americans / Canadians you (usually) get on Caribbean cruises. The ports of call are great on the upcoming cruise (as they were on the Magica cruise), thats the main reason we book a certain trip (the ports of call). Would love to do a cruise out of Cuba but as we winter in Florida, guess that's not gonna happen under the current US regime (& flying to a 3rd country to then just move onto Havana seems a little excessive). JOHN; Bolshy Brit.

Just got off the Voyager of the seas today after a four night cruise to Malaysia and Thailand, the food was ok, buffet breakfast quite poor with many cold items, some good MDR meals but we would say MSC have climbed ahead of RCI, buffet closed from four to six pm and closes at Nine pm, MSC open all day.

We are back to MSC on Divina for the second time at Xmas for cruise number 8.

Differently will be better than MSC Magica because MSC has no Magica ship.

OK, I made a small mistake with the ships name (if you're gonna get all anal) ... It was the Magnifica we were just on, not the Magica (but I'm sure you'd have realised that). I'd thank you for your input but I wouldn't mean it, so I won't.

Roburt-Divina is a beautiful ship and you will find things to do, I liked the hotwings in the pub. As others have mentioned it is different, I did not like the music, theatre presentations whatever you want to call them. MSC in the Caribbean is still very good value for money spent with the prettiest ships.