Cozumel - Ferry to Mainland

LilacCruiser

Have heard rumors of Cozumel excursions to the mainland being cancelled due to recurring ferry bomb threats. Are these indeed only rumors? Would be love to hear from recent cruisers. Very interested in getting to Tulum, but not at the risk of safety. Would only book excursion through the ship, just wondering if I should have strong plan B. Thanks for any insight!

And just to ease your mind further, the event wasn't terrorist or drug related. Arson and an insurance scam by new operator who was losing money. Hundreds of Mexicans take those ferries daily to work, either on Cozumel or the mainland.

Hi - the only reputable article I find is the following:

https://www.businessinsider.com/mexico-playa-del-carmen-security-alert-us-embassy-ferry-bombing-2018-3

Is there new info about an insurance scam? I cannot find that. Regardless, innocent tourists were injured so not sure it is worth the risk as Playa del Carmen is still restricted for US govt employees. The State dept has warnings. When you go on a ship excursion do they use a private ferry that is different?

Hi - the only reputable article I find is the following:

https://www.businessinsider.com/mexico-playa-del-carmen-security-alert-us-embassy-ferry-bombing-2018-3

Is there new info about an insurance scam? I cannot find that. Regardless, innocent tourists were injured so not sure it is worth the risk as Playa del Carmen is still restricted for US govt employees. The State dept has warnings. When you go on a ship excursion do they use a private ferry that is different?

PDC is not off limits to US government personnel. Look it up on the DOS site.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums