Maputo, Mozambique

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Crystal Cruises
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:46 AM.
88,708 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by mogilevk9
Mozambique visa

We are on v7225 and 6. This afternoon I spoke to the Mozambique Embassy in London regarding obtaining a visa for the two of us. One of their main points to me ( and she was at pains to emphasise it), was that it has to be used within two months, so do not apply for early it too early.

Christine
Christine, you are absolutely correct. The standard is you have to use it within two month of it's issuance.

I do know that for those who use TDS Pinnacle (I realize this would apply to those from the USA) TDS can get them a multi use visa that is good for three months and could get one up to six months should someone need their passport for other trips.

I am only posting this so those from the USA will know there are some additional options.

Keith
Sydney
299 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
So glad I read this thread. We are on V7226 and I had emailed Steve earlier in the year and he assured me that unless one was leaving the voyage entirely in Mozambique that no visa would be required. Looks like the laws have changed. We too will be happy to stay on board rather than doing the walking excursion we had booked.
Oregon
1,187 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by FlyerTalker
Be aware that there are US Customs restrictions on some items made from wood. Especially if your customs declaration (filled out under oath) lists any African countries, you may receive additional scrutiny for carvings and other wooden items.

Best to check with US Customs before you leave to find out the status of current regulations regarding such importation. And yes, there can be fines in addition to confiscation.
Crystal puts all wood items in a deep freeze for quarantine. After the freeze treatment were free to retrieve our wood purchases. People bought large items and brought them home. In 2015 no one had any issues on the world cruise going back into the US customs at the port that I am aware. That was one of the pluses of going on a full world cruise. We brought home stuff by ship with us then shipped it home from Miami. We bought a lot. I love what we bought.
London, England
1,201 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by mogilevk9
Mozambique visa

We are on v7225 and 6. This afternoon I spoke to the Mozambique Embassy in London regarding obtaining a visa for the two of us. One of their main points to me ( and she was at pains to emphasise it), was that it has to be used within two months, so do not apply for early it too early.

Christine
Hi Christine - I found out the same thing. For those also on 7223, we also need a visa for Jordan. As we're visiting Israel, it may be necessary to obtain this in advance:

If you wish to combine travel to Jordan with a visit to Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories, it’s usually better to get a multiple entry visa before you travel from the Embassy of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan in London.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trudi
190 Posts
Joined May 2014
That is great info about the two month window. One would not know that from the Pinnacle website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Dubai, U.A.E.
2,313 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by ancientmariner
Hi Christine - I found out the same thing. For those also on 7223, we also need a visa for Jordan. As we're visiting Israel, it may be necessary to obtain this in advance:

If you wish to combine travel to Jordan with a visit to Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories, it’s usually better to get a multiple entry visa before you travel from the Embassy of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan in London.
That's not been my experience. I believe it would only be beneficial to get an advance visa to save time at immigration posts if you were doing an overland and criss-crossing land borders between those different countries. If your only entry into Jordan is going to be via the port of Aqaba then then you get a visa on arrival processed onboard the ship. I've been in and out of Jordan by air and by sea (on the Symphony) and never needed a visa prior to arrival. One thing I would note though is when you get your visa on arrival in Israel get it stamped on a loose paper inserted in your passport not stamped directly onto a page in your passport. You have subsequent port calls in countries that do not maintain diplomatic relations with that country and it may cause issues with visit visas to those countries...

Anne...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crystal Mozart: Vienna to Vienna, Sept. 2016
Crystal Symphony: Miami/San Juan/Rio, Dec. 2015
Crystal Symphony: New York to Dover, June 2015
Crystal Serenity: Istanbul to Venice, October 2013
Crystal Symphony: Istanbul - Rome, July 2013
Crystal Symphony: Auckland - Melbourne, Dec. 2012
Crystal Symphony: Southampton - Hamburg, May 2012
Crystal Symphony: Alaska, August 2011
Crystal Symphony: Dubai - Athens, May 2010
Azamara Quest: Singapore - Hong Kong, Jan. 2009
Crystal Serenity: Black Sea - August 2008
Crystal Symphony:Gulf of Mexico & Panama Canal Dec.2007
QM2 Transatlantic: NY - S'hampton June 2007
Crystal Serenity: E. Caribbean January 2007
Crystal Symphony: Rome - Dover, August 2006
Oceania Insignia: Western Med., August 2005
Toronto, Canada
6,776 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by Jayayeff
That's not been my experience. I believe it would only be beneficial to get an advance visa to save time at immigration posts if you were doing an overland and criss-crossing land borders between those different countries. If your only entry into Jordan is going to be via the port of Aqaba then then you get a visa on arrival processed onboard the ship. I've been in and out of Jordan by air and by sea (on the Symphony) and never needed a visa prior to arrival. One thing I would note though is when you get your visa on arrival in Israel get it stamped on a loose paper inserted in your passport not stamped directly onto a page in your passport. You have subsequent port calls in countries that do not maintain diplomatic relations with that country and it may cause issues with visit visas to those countries...

Anne...
Because my DH had a Saudi Entry in his passport having visited for work the Canadian government gave him a new passport to be used only in Israel. As it so happened they stamped the entry on a paper but this was a good precautionary measure and according to the passport office is commonplace for people in similar situations.
88,708 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Anne is correct. When you are already on the ship and you stop at Jordan Crystal takes care of the visa on board the ship.

For Israel when you are on the ship and have your face to face interview the Israeli officials do stamp a piece of paper that you carry inside your passport and then we turned it in. It is too bad that some countries will not let people into their country if their passport was stamped showing you entered Israel.

For Mozambique as I mentioned earlier TDS can obtain a visa that would allow the person to enter the country greater then two months and they can obtain one good for three and six months. It's less of an issue for those on the January Symphony cruise since I believe it is one of the first stops on the cruise. It's more of an issue for those on the 2019 World Cruise, but again they have a work around.

One thing about visas is that the rules change often. Brazil used to have the requirement that you had to enter the country within three months but now they issue a ten year visa without that requirement but unfortunately turn around times are atrocious On our first visit to Vietnam we had to obtain the visa ahead of time but that is no longer the case with the ship being able to obtain it for us. I wish all of the ones were more like the ETA which not only Australia has for some countries but Turkey also adopted. So much easier to do it on line and not have to give up your passport and also answer a bunch of questions that I wonder why are asked and really wonder if anyone follows up on. For example, my parent's names. Do they really verify them. Or the telephone number where I worked many moons ago. Oh well. I am sure we do the same in the USA.

Keith
London, England
1,201 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Having originally told me that I "must have a visa for Jordan", Crystal have now e-mailed me the following:

In-transit guests: The entry visa will be applied upon arrival at Aqaba port. Visa fee is waived.

So, strictly speaking, they were correct, but the wording was ambiguous.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trudi
Home
2,017 Posts
Joined May 2009
I find it a pitty that the entry requirements for Mosambik have changed. Since we will be on the World Cruise 2019, we are affected. Hopefully Crystal will be able to handle the visa on board. Not worth to go to the hassle of visa applications for just some hours on port.
Ivi
88,708 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by travelberlin
I find it a pitty that the entry requirements for Mosambik have changed. Since we will be on the World Cruise 2019, we are affected. Hopefully Crystal will be able to handle the visa on board. Not worth to go to the hassle of visa applications for just some hours on port.
Ivi
Ivi, a lot can change by 2019. The key is if the local officials can increase personnel to keep up with the demand including ships the size of Serenity.

If they don't change then your option will be to purchase the Visa ahead of time or to stay on the ship.

All of this is a personal decision but having been to this port twice when visas were obtained on the ship and someone who never likes to part with my passport I would stay on the ship given the cost of the visa and the need to send passports off to get it.

The good news is the stop is not for another 18 months so maybe the local authorities will solve their issue so they can provide visas to those traveling on board the ship at the time of arrival.

Keith
Home
2,017 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by Keith1010
Ivi, a lot can change by 2019. The key is if the local officials can increase personnel to keep up with the demand including ships the size of Serenity.

If they don't change then your option will be to purchase the Visa ahead of time or to stay on the ship.

All of this is a personal decision but having been to this port twice when visas were obtained on the ship and someone who never likes to part with my passport I would stay on the ship given the cost of the visa and the need to send passports off to get it.

The good news is the stop is not for another 18 months so maybe the local authorities will solve their issue so they can provide visas to those traveling on board the ship at the time of arrival.

Keith
Yes Keith, we will wait and see. Been in Maputo many times. We were looking forward to visit again.
Ivi
2,006 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Keith1010

Keith

True enough. A bit of pressure from the local tourist industry, concerned about lost revenue because people stay onboard, might help motivate the local authorities.
190 Posts
Joined May 2014
Well I'm traveling 1/18 and since I've no idea if I'll ever be back I'll spring for the pricey visa. Hope the excursion I'm considering will make it worthwhile. I doubt I'd do so if like others I'd visited there previously.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
88,708 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by Observer
True enough. A bit of pressure from the local tourist industry, concerned about lost revenue because people stay onboard, might help motivate the local authorities.
Absolutely.

One thing we've learned is things change so you never know.

Keith
Yorkshire
262 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Glad this thread is active. We are on our first Crystal cruise in January which calls at Mozambique.
After reading many reviews we are in inclined not to go ashore at this port, and the information that a visa in this case would not be required is good news.
We are from the UK and have had difficulty getting a definitive answer , so thank you to those who post their knowledge here
Vicki and Charlie
Toronto, Canada
6,776 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by gymfreak
Glad this thread is active. We are on our first Crystal cruise in January which calls at Mozambique.
After reading many reviews we are in inclined not to go ashore at this port, and the information that a visa in this case would not be required is good news.
We are from the UK and have had difficulty getting a definitive answer , so thank you to those who post their knowledge here
Vicki and Charlie
I am half inclined to book the afternoon excursion if they will let me. Keeping the morning free for getting the visa if possible. Shall discuss this on board.

There is no way that I will mail my passport to the US and they have no visa office in Canada.
190 Posts
Joined May 2014
Crystal's visa provider seems a reliable and safe source according to posts on this forum. It's an expensive proposition but since it's likely my first and last visit to Mozambique I think I'll take the plunge. Since I'm not sending my passport directly to the Mozambique consulate but rather to Crystal's designated service I feel a bit more secure. But of course that's just my approach.

Sent from my iPad using Forums