Formal nights, dress code etc.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Crystal Cruises
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:15 AM.
fort lauderdale, fl, usa
1,121 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
On black tie optional nights most men wear ties and the percentage of tuxedos varies with the itinerary. On casual nights few wear ties.
Most men dress nicely each night but there are always one or two who do not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Bear, DE
1,396 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Has anyone had experience with BTO nights in a region like Hawaii or the South Pacific. Hard to even picture going from shorts or bathing suit and a tee to dark suit while looking at palm trees.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Link to spreadsheet with Roll Call and itinerary for Crystal Symphony South Pacific segments 8205-8206

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bvhcwjn73...2018.xlsx?dl=0

Previous sailings: Carnival (1), NCL (4), Celebrity (5), Cunard-Queen Mary 2 (2), Oceania (2), Holland America (2), Viking (2), AMA Waterways (1), Princess (1), Un-Cruise (1), Voyages to Antiquities (1), Disney (1)

Most recent cruises:

15 Night Galapagos with Machu Picchu extension on Celebrity Xpedition 4/2/2017
3 Day Disney cruise to Bahamas (with our grandson!) 8/4/2017
Iceland, Greenland and Scotland Explorer on Holland America Prinsendam 8/18/2017

Booked:
Christmas in Cuba and the Caribbean with Voyages to Antiquities 12/15/2017
Back to back Auckland to Valparaiso South Pacific on Crystal Symphony March 2018

More than 50 Countries visited to date
1,973 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Phoenix cruiser
Has anyone had experience with BTO nights in a region like Hawaii or the South Pacific. Hard to even picture going from shorts or bathing suit and a tee to dark suit while looking at palm trees.
Nearly always BTO nights will be on sea days and one will be looking only at ocean.
88,423 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Yes, we have had BTO nights on Hawaii and/or Pacific Ocean cruises but as Observer noted it is on sea days.

When in port it has been a casual night and from time to time Anne Marie and I have worn something that would be more n keeping with Hawaii. It's one of the few times I didn't wear a sports jacket on a casual night.

Keith
Bear, DE
1,396 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Let me rephrase. One is in the South Pacific cruising between island paradises. Yes, BTOs are on sea days but it still seems odd to me to have suitcases packed with Hawaiian shirts, tees, and shorts and some polos and then have to throw in some suits and ties. We are on 30 days B2B. We just returned from Iceland and Greenland and there suits were much more appropriate. I will go with the flow but our experience has been cruise lines adapted their dress codes to the environment (other than Cunard suites private dining rooms).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Link to spreadsheet with Roll Call and itinerary for Crystal Symphony South Pacific segments 8205-8206

Previous sailings: Carnival (1), NCL (4), Celebrity (5), Cunard-Queen Mary 2 (2), Oceania (2), Holland America (2), Viking (2), AMA Waterways (1), Princess (1), Un-Cruise (1), Voyages to Antiquities (1), Disney (1)

Most recent cruises:

Iceland, Greenland and Scotland Explorer on Holland America Prinsendam 8/18/2017

Booked:
Back to back Auckland to Valparaiso South Pacific on Crystal Symphony March 2018

88,423 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Let me rephrase. One is in the South Pacific cruising between island paradises. Yes, BTOs are on sea days but it still seems odd to me to have suitcases packed with Hawaiian shirts, tees, and shorts and some polos and then have to throw in some suits and ties. We are on 30 days B2B. We just returned from Iceland and Greenland and there suits were much more appropriate. I will go with the flow but our experience has been cruise lines adapted their dress codes to the environment (other than Cunard suites private dining rooms).
Crystal bases the mix of BTO's based on the length of the voyage.

Key to remember is it is BTO so some you will see a mix of attire as one could wear a suit or tuxedo or just choose to wear a sports jacket and collared shirt.

And if on Serenity you have Tastes where you can dine on BTO and wear casual attire and with Symphony's dry dock there will also be casual dining on night.

So you have a lot of flexibility.

I really believe the length of the cruise is more of the driver of what we bring rather then where we are sailing .

Keith
Bear, DE
1,396 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by Keith1010
Crystal bases the mix of BTO's based on the length of the voyage.

Key to remember is it is BTO so some you will see a mix of attire as one could wear a suit or tuxedo or just choose to wear a sports jacket and collared shirt.

And if on Serenity you have Tastes where you can dine on BTO and wear casual attire and with Symphony's dry dock there will also be casual dining on night.

So you have a lot of flexibility.

I really believe the length of the cruise is more of the driver of what we bring rather then where we are sailing .

Keith
Thanks to all for,the feedback. Please don't think I am obsessed over dress code. We have taken over 20 cruises on all manner of cruise lines to all sorts of destinations and we never have a bad time. Really just trying to gauge the "culture" of Crystal as this is our first time with them. We have mainly arranged the major things like flights and excursions so now I am just catching up on the smaller details. Very glad they went to open dining as that has been our preference on all but Disney with our grandson (they don't even off any time dining). Will be interested if they use the buzzer system if the MDR is full like NCL, HAL and others.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Most recent cruises:

Booked:

2,961 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Keith and Observer are spot on (as always), but I just wanted to add something... In my experience, yes, tropical cruises on Crystal can be SLIGHTLY more casual, but they really are still pretty dressy -- at least the longer ones with multiple BTO nights. I travel for a living and usually have packing down to a science, but when I leave for a Crystal cruise it does tend to look like I stole several people's belongings off the claim at the airport. As you know though, just because other people think its fun to wear dark business suits or a tux sailing the tropics, doesn't mean that's required.

Vince
Bear, DE
1,396 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by BWIVince
Keith and Observer are spot on (as always), but I just wanted to add something... In my experience, yes, tropical cruises on Crystal can be SLIGHTLY more casual, but they really are still pretty dressy -- at least the longer ones with multiple BTO nights. I travel for a living and usually have packing down to a science, but when I leave for a Crystal cruise it does tend to look like I stole several people's belongings off the claim at the airport. As you know though, just because other people think its fun to wear dark business suits or a tux sailing the tropics, doesn't mean that's required.

Vince
Thanks for the added insight. While I would not hide under the table if I was seated next to a person wearing a tux while I was in slacks and a collared shirt, Mrs. Phoenix Cruiser might be more self conscious. I don't doubt we will each have our own piece of luggage and then share a third suitcase, as besides the dressier stuff we need to fit in our snorkel gear, binoculars. And of course we can always avail ourselves of the self service and ship's laundry service. So all will be well. Hey, we are going to Bora Bora.

Speaking of dress in the tropics, on our Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos cruise the main directive was you were frowned on if you wore the same clothes you had just hiked over the lava rocks on to dinner, but if you didn't stink all was well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Most recent cruises:

Booked:

Florida
4,101 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Thanks for the added insight. While I would not hide under the table if I was seated next to a person wearing a tux while I was in slacks and a collared shirt, Mrs. Phoenix Cruiser might be more self conscious. I don't doubt we will each have our own piece of luggage and then share a third suitcase, as besides the dressier stuff we need to fit in our snorkel gear, binoculars. And of course we can always avail ourselves of the self service and ship's laundry service. So all will be well. Hey, we are going to Bora Bora.

Speaking of dress in the tropics, on our Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos cruise the main directive was you were frowned on if you wore the same clothes you had just hiked over the lava rocks on to dinner, but if you didn't stink all was well.
That's so funny, about Xpedition. I had forgotten that a few guests showed up in what they had indeed worn to hike over lava rocks, etc. I did briefly wonder when they showered, but tried to get it out of my head! We always like to shower before dinner.

AND, we have a palm tree right outside our bedroom at home. No wonder we have to shower before dinner. My car thought it was 101 today briefly! Of course it was wrong.

However, don't expect to find any self service dinner venues on Crystal. Not before nor after drydock, unless you consider the Trident, which I believe closes at 6 pm.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
13 Celebrity
6 Royal Caribbean
4 Crystal
3 HAL
2 AmaWaterways
1 American Queen
1 Azamara
1 Oceania
1 Carnival
1 Renaissance (now defunct)
1 Premier (yup, the also-defunct Big Red Boat)
Bear, DE
1,396 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
On the subject of dinner, what is the typical room service menu like? As you can see from my signature we have cruised on many different lines as we always go for itinerary over loyalty. Universally dinner selections from room service were meager, tending more to pizza, burgers and cold sandwiches. I thought I read somewhere on Cruise Critic that you could request room service with the same entrees as in the MDR. Usually the on,y time we used room service for dinner was if the wife was recovering from rough seas so soup and toast was sufficient.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Most recent cruises:

Booked:

88,423 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
On the subject of dinner, what is the typical room service menu like? As you can see from my signature we have cruised on many different lines as we always go for itinerary over loyalty. Universally dinner selections from room service were meager, tending more to pizza, burgers and cold sandwiches. I thought I read somewhere on Cruise Critic that you could request room service with the same entrees as in the MDR. Usually the on,y time we used room service for dinner was if the wife was recovering from rough seas so soup and toast was sufficient.
For dinner if you are in a standard room you can order the same dinner that is on the Crystal Dining Menu for that evening during the hours the restaurant is open. There is also a room service menu of some basic items such as pizza, etc.

For those in the Penthouse Categories (PH, PS, CP) in addition to all of this they can also order from Prego and Silk Road during their operating hours and one could order entirely from all or from a combination of restaurants.

I just wanted to add that with each passing year their is less formality in attire either because the evening attire has been revised (what is recommended plus the number of BTO nights) and that in general people dress more casually on land and that carries over to sea.

Keith
Asheville
16,226 Posts
Joined May 2007
Tend to wear dresses to dinner on a ship. But in my case I am going not only to another ship bit on a land tour, so the idea of extra weight for shoes and a dress or two. I have some nice dresses that fit and I pick a few out thst get seen several times . By the time I get home I do not want to see them maybe when i do theWC I might see if a dress fits. Know I have the purse
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Robin
1,483 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
For dinner if you are in a standard room you can order the same dinner that is on the Crystal Dining Menu for that evening during the hours the restaurant is open. There is also a room service menu of some basic items such as pizza, etc.

For those in the Penthouse Categories (PH, PS, CP) in addition to all of this they can also order from Prego and Silk Road during their operating hours and one could order entirely from all or from a combination of restaurants.

I just wanted to add that with each passing year their is less formality in attire either because the evening attire has been revised (what is recommended plus the number of BTO nights) and that in general people dress more casually on land and that carries over to sea.

Keith
Is the dinner from the main dining room served course by course as Seabourn does? After all my cruises on Crystal I never knew this was an option, I never saw it promoted anywhere and did not see it mentioned in the room service menu.

If the dinner is not served course by course I would imagine that your dinner would be cold by the time you eat your appetizer and salad?

When we were in PH we did have Prego and Silk Road delivered but not a full multi course dinner.

Does dinner in your stateroom have to be arranged earlier in the day or can one pick up the phone and order it?

Thanks for your insights on this.
88,423 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by cruisr
Is the dinner from the main dining room served course by course as Seabourn does? After all my cruises on Crystal I never knew this was an option, I never saw it promoted anywhere and did not see it mentioned in the room service menu.

If the dinner is not served course by course I would imagine that your dinner would be cold by the time you eat your appetizer and salad?

When we were in PH we did have Prego and Silk Road delivered but not a full multi course dinner.

Does dinner in your stateroom have to be arranged earlier in the day or can one pick up the phone and order it?

Thanks for your insights on this.
In the standard rooms you can definitely order dinner from the dining room menu. I don't believe it is served course by course but am not sure. Hopefully someone will know. Some have said that it is not as hot/warm as they prefer. I believe Observer has said that. You can order it like you would at a hotel without making advanced arrangements.

In the PH and above you can have it course by course and the butlers are great about spacing it out. You can order from one venue or all three.

We like to give our butler advance notice so we normally mention it one or even two days before. However once in awhile we mentioned it in the morning. Some people order it on the spot and that is OK too but we just like to give the butler advanced warning because we know how hard they work and that they have several rooms to take care of. If we are ordering several items say from Silk Road such as a variety of sashimi and sushi we write it out for him to make it easier but again that is not necessary.

I hope this helps and please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Keith
Tucson, AZ
339 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by NC&KY
Could someone who has cruised Crystal in the past give me an idea of what percentage of men will NOT be wearing ties with their sport jackets and shirts? We are considering a cruise from Montreal to NYC in October of 2018, and I believe we will have one formal night.
I cannot quote a percentage, but I can tell you that I have not worn a tie on our last five or six cruises. No one seemed to notice or care.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ed And Mary Ellen from sunny Tucson, AZ

Tucson, AZ
339 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
In the standard rooms you can definitely order dinner from the dining room menu. I don't believe it is served course by course but am not sure. Hopefully someone will know. Some have said that it is not as hot/warm as they prefer. I believe Observer has said that. You can order it like you would at a hotel without making advanced arrangements.

In the PH and above you can have it course by course and the butlers are great about spacing it out. You can order from one venue or all three.

Keith
In the standard rooms, multi-course dinners are not served course by course. I have always wondered if you could order the first course, then later order the main course, etc. Probably it is not worth the trouble. Our experience is that room service in the standard rooms has always been served at an acceptable temperature. We have never had problems with lukewarm meals.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ed And Mary Ellen from sunny Tucson, AZ