Not new to Alaska cruising but newbies to cruisetour portion...

KruzeKrazy!

We done 2 Alaska cruises on 2 different but lines (HAL and Princess) but have now booked our very first Cruisetour (Princess Connoisseur).

Any tips, suggestions, helpful hints, etc. on the land portion would be much appreciated.

We prefer viewing beautiful scenery to shopping, etc. and in pricate or small groups versus large group tours.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

It's hard to advise without knowing which cruise tour. How many days where? You have activities in Fairbanks (Gold Dredge and riverboat tour) and the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali included. You are on your own at McKinley Lodge as far as activities go.

Then I'm confused why you'd do a CruiseTour?

Precisely why we asked for advice as we've never done a land trip in Alaska. We booked the Connoisseur Cruisetour to snag it, get the cabin we like, and be on the Royal (we haven't been on the newer Princess ships yet and want to) but it's not until 2019 so we have plenty of time to change plans.

We also figured since we're so busy and don't have lots of time for research that for our first land-based trip we'd go for something that was pre-planned.

But we are totally open to suggestions from those with more experience/knowledge than we have as we have 0%...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

But we are totally open to suggestions from those with more experience/knowledge than we have as we have 0%...

The TripAdvisor Forum for Alaska is the perfect place to get the feedback you are seeking. And if you aren't traveling until 2019, you've got plenty of time to plan: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html

In my opinion: the best way to see Southcentral & Interior Alaska is with a rental car. That'll give you the best options for lodging and dining and activities.

I think renting a car/suv is the best option too! You'll be in control of when & where you stop, for how long, etc. This past year we did a two week road trip of the interior of Alaska and drove about 2,000 miles. The best advice I can give is to allow a lot more time to get where you're going than normal. I'd say twice as much time! It's mostly because there is just so much to see that you're likely going to want to stop a lot more often for pictures and general investigation. Our motto was to stop if we were slightly interested in something. I can't remember a stop that I felt it was wasted time. In the summer the days are very LONG so you have plenty of daylight to enjoy the scenery. Alaska is a very easy place to navigate so don't be concerned with getting lost - there are only a few main highways. It's a beautiful, SPECTACULAR place! Good luck!!!

I would never take or recommend a cruise tour for Alaska. It's so easy to do on your own. All you need is a car and a Milepost (guide for Alaska roads sold on Amazon and other booksellers), and book your hotels. (Sign up for Princess specials by email as they often offer discounts on hotels in the shoulder season or on slow days during the summer)

You can get to the places tours never go, hang out with Alaskans, stop for fishing, bird watching, animal watching, and food and potty stops whenever you want for however long you want. It's pretty hard to get lost as there's only two roads north, but if you do, you might just have an Adventure! Having a car in Denali is a huge advantage, as you can drive the first 12 miles of the road yourself and can stay in less expensive accommodations a few miles from the Park in Healy. You can drive yourself to the WAC and take the much less expensive shuttle into the Park. You can stop at grocery stores for food and find local Alaska fare and eat at less expensive restaurants not attached to your cruise line hotel.

Doing Alaska independently is not for everyone. Some people need the structure that a tour environment supplies, where you don't have to make any decisions other than whether you want to go on the jet boat tour or a flightseeing tour in Talkeetna. They get what they need - a scripted vacation from start to finish with everything taken care of by the tour guide and the cruise line. Other people are fine with renting a car and taking off on their own. I just happen to be one of the latter.