Space Hogs - a nasty evolution of Chair Hogs

bigbeergut

It's often just as bad if not worse at land resorts. Chair hogging is universal. One all inclusive I stayed in had beautiful loungers and beds all around multiple pools, but they were almost always occupied by towels, t-shirts, books, and flip-flops. Didn't matter the time of day or evening. I rarely saw more than 5 people actually using any of the chairs and the rest were "taken," often with grandma posted to keep guard for everyone. The resort simply refused to police it. They would clear off the chairs late in the evening, but they were full of stuff again first thing the next morning.

Awwwww this is a very eloquent post, xfr, and I do hope it softens the hearts of even the most hardened chogs:) I’m especially moved by the sadness of people who’ve survived long, frigid, dark winters with only the bright prospect of their few hours relaxing in the sun to sustain them.

Not a chance! Chogs don't read.:rolleyes:

I don't mind people moving chairs so that there is enough room to get into them. Sometimes you just have to. What I do object to, at least on the Solstice class, is when people move the chairs into the walkway, which is not only the walking track but the main way to get to the buffet and other places on that deck.

I like to walk and chairs intruding into the path are dangerous; I have seen more than one person have a nasty fall tripping over chairs pulled into the path.

I also don't think moving chairs to follow the sun is a great idea; just look for a different chair!

All this said, we don't usually have too much trouble finding a chair; we don't actually want to be in those crowded areas, preferring the quieter out-of-the-way spaces. But I do want to be able to walk without hazards!

Awwwww this is a very eloquent post, xfr, and I do hope it softens the hearts of even the most hardened chogs:) I’m especially moved by the sadness of people who’ve survived long, frigid, dark winters with only the bright prospect of their few hours relaxing in the sun to sustain them.
You get me. ;-) The thought of the fruity drinks in paradise keeps me going as I scrape my car in the morning in the freezing cold. I do think I might have just a wee bit of resentment built up.

Reading the different chog posts is always interesting. This one from the other day was a new take on it.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2592197

As a person who is not from a time zone that is ship time, and who is not a morning person, it is distressing to come upstairs at 10am and find that all the loungers are occupied by books, sunglasses and flip flops. In that moment, the vision I held close to get me thru those long stressful weeks, the one of me lounging in a poolside chair sipping a fruity drink, bursts with a sad dose of reality.

You bizarrely cheerful morning people (my husband is one), sure you get to enjoy this dream. But those of us who are being forced to chose between sleep or that poolside vitamin d shower, we see chogs as dream crushers. Why does that flip flop get to live the dream? So I wander away, but each day my resentment builds. Perhaps I grab a seat at the bar, but you know I'm watching that flip flop. And after hour, as it just lays there, ordering no drinks, never once using the pool, I think to myself, clearly the cruise line will take care of this, surely they will want to see humans using the chairs.

And after a couple rounds of fruity courage, I decide that the flip flop wouldn't mind sharing. If it's human should return, why, I would gladly get up. But as I approach, I see someone else has this idea. They go to remove the flip flop and suddenly from 8 chairs over, a very angry man says "this chair is reserved". The hopeful user replies "but these chairs have been unused for hours". The argument gets heated and wham, a fist fight breaks out. I slink off, but a small part of me can't help but hope he landed a good one on that chog.

I spend the remainder of the sea days trying to get any staff member to help me, but they are understaffed, and not monitoring as they should. I may find a folorn chair far from the pool, but it's not the same.

Sure, I still had a lovely vacation, but now I'm home and I still carry that resentment. So I seek out threads on CC, looking not only for ways to stand up to the hogs, but also to add my voice if the cruiselines are reading. Please police the chairs, save us from the hogs. Do it, or the flip flop will get it. Or even worse, I'll plan my next vacation on land.

I share your aggravation. These people who are out there at 7am staking out 3 and more lounge chairs are the scourge of cruising although the same thing happens at resorts.

I don’t have an answer. There have been a plethora of suggestions all of which require the cruise line to implement and enforce.

Crew members, regardless of position, obey their supervisors without hesitation. If a pool attendant walks by lounge chairs reserved with a book from the library for hours they were told to,do so. If they pick up personal articles left unattended for 30 minutes it’s because they were told to do so.

Passengers need to voice their angst to ship’s officers vocally and in writing. Taking your cruise business away from X or any other line is like pissing on a forest fire. Symbolic but useless.

I know of no ship that has undergone a renovation that increased guest capacity by 20%. Your numbers, and the argument you use them to make are both just plain wrong.

Why are they wrong? Celebrity increased cabin capacity by a not small amount without increasing pool space.