Tequila

harrietthespy

Upcoming cruise includes a stop in Cozumel and Playa de Maya in Mexico. I want to buy a good bottle of Tequila while I'm there. Nothing outrageuously expensive but not gut rot either. Any suggestions as to where and what to buy?

Thanks in advance.

My hubby likes to check out liquor prices when traveling. Truthfully, you can often find better prices at your local Binny's or other liquor stores. If you want to buy it in Mexico for the cruise keepsake value that is another story. Patron is a nice mid-priced tequila.

May I suggest that you consider visiting one of the two tequila stores in Cozumel. They have a variety of tequilas which are not sold in the US and do offer tastings, too.

I purchased two different anejo's which I thought were very good and cannot be purchased in the US.

It would not hurt to visit and decide for yourself if it is worth purchasing a bottle or two of something different vs. brands one can purchase in the US easily.

bon voyage

Bo,

would you mind saying which brands you purchased and assigning each a rating?

Thanks in advance,

~Brian

Brian, sadly I have, along with friends, finished up the anejos and I did find that my spouse had a bottle of Resposado from the trip (three years ago) yet to be opened...!

The brand is Maestro. We had the option to go on two (2) different tours and selected the one closest to the ship on our return from the beach. There were over 17 different brands and types available and we selected the products which cost between $45 - $65 for 750ml, which we thought was of a good value for an outlet (read: price controlled) we did receive a small discount, if I remember correctly.

There were tequilas costing upwards of $650 for 500ml bottles, I Am not that much of an aficionado, so of course I passed.. ;-)

If you have a baker you want to purchase for, I also recommend trying to find Mexican made vanilla... pure vanilla, although not at the tequila factory.

If you have any other questions, fire away & bon voyage

I want to buy a good bottle of Tequila while I'm there. Nothing outrageuously expensive but not gut rot either. Any suggestions as to where and what to buy?

A few years ago, through a friend of a friend, I got a bottle of El Gran Jurado tequila. It's the best tequila I've ever had.

I've been unable to get El Gran Jurado (The Grand Jury) here on the east coast. Besides Mexico, I believe it's served at a few luxury resorts on the west coast.

A few years ago, through a friend of a friend, I got a bottle of El Gran Jurado tequila. It's the best tequila I've ever had.

I've been unable to get El Gran Jurado (The Grand Jury) here on the east coast. Besides Mexico, I believe it's served at a few luxury resorts on the west coast.

Yes, that is a great brand too... from what I recollect.

A great friend you have, keep them! :cool:

bon voyage

Just thought of something else you can do to find out about what is considered a good to great tequila is, visit one or two bars before going to the factory and ask the bartenders which brands they consider to be great and not heard or ordered all that often... nothing like getting a taste and local input.

This is not to say that you will enjoy any of their recommendations, yet you will have some input before hand.

bon voyage

Skip buying your Tequila in Cozumel...It doesn't come from there anyway...Unless you're buying something you can't get in the US, what's the point? Even if you are saving a few dollars on that bottle of Patron, it's not worth it...avoid the hassle of getting it home (remember, you can't carry it on the plane anymore anyway...

Instead, book another cruise to the WEST COAST of Mexico--one that stops in Puerto Vallarta...That is where Tequila is actually made (and the only area of Mexico in which it is actually made). "Tequila" is actually the name of a small town in the hills between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara...in the State of Jalisco. BY LAW, if the Tequila does not come from Jalisco state, you cannot even call it "Tequila".

So, when you visit Puerto Vallarta, you don't just get a liquor store tasting of Tequila, you can actually take a tour or excursion to one of the actual distilleries where they produce the stuff...and then, when you buy your bottle of Anejo to take home, it will really mean something...

In the meanwhile, if you want a really good tasting Tequila at a great price, go visit your local Costco...The "Kirkland" Anejo is actually VERY GOOD and sells for only $20 a liter (at least that's the price at Costcos here in SoCal)...Of course, my wife won't let me serve it to guests--but that's my person drinking supply...

In the meanwhile, if you want a really good tasting Tequila at a great price, go visit your local Costco...The "Kirkland" Anejo is actually VERY GOOD and sells for only $20 a liter (at least that's the price at Costcos here in SoCal)...Of course, my wife won't let me serve it to guests--but that's my person drinking supply...

Which works really well if you live in California. Doesn't work in any of the states (most of them, I believe) where Costco can't sell liquor. Been there, done that, loved buying my liter of Ketel One at Costco; in Virginia, the state sells liquor in state stores and that's not an option. Don't know where the OP is from.

I agree wholeheartedly that it's only worth shopping for a product that's not available in the states. You're not going to save enough on that bottle of Patron to make it worth packing in our checked bag and taking your chances on a spill... And really? For Patron?

I believe the OP is looking for brands not available in the US, which are considered good.

Personally, I have hard-shell luggage and when packed well and placed in the middle of my luggage, wine and liquor travels well for me... this is not to say that there will be that one time...

bon voayge

Cava de Oro extra anejo. Runs around $99 USD for 750ml. Mexico brand only, 38% alcohol versus 40% US. This is my go to specialty tequila. After that I like Clase Azul reposado. This is gringo tequila. Very good but can be bought stateside.

Tres Generaciones anejo is good too. Also gringo and in the US.

Suggestion is to do a tasting while in Mexico and buy what you like. There’s so much to choose from. In Puerto Vallarta old town we buy flavored tequila as in Cafe, Chocolate and other flavored tequilas. These are fun dessert drinks.

Yes, I buy and drink a lot of tequila. Personally, avoid Patron. Pure garbage IMO. All advertising and no flavor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the meanwhile, if you want a really good tasting Tequila at a great price, go visit your local Costco...The "Kirkland" Anejo is actually VERY GOOD and sells for only $20 a liter (at least that's the price at Costcos here in SoCal).

Interesting. The Costco stores here in Maryland do not sell alcohol, wine or beer. But...the Costco store in D.C. does...and it's only an hour away. Sounds like we'll have to make a trek there soon.

Can't believe what Patron sells for. Casadores or Centenario are as good or better for half the price of Patron

Cazadores is our margarita mixing tequila. Best value for taste and quality.

All my others listed are for sipping and enjoying. When you mix tequilas into drinks, most moderate priced tequilas are just fine. Except that Cuervo $22 1.5L crap. Headache city for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Reminds me of a Tequila distillery tour we took some years back in Puerto Vallarta...

We did a tour and tasting at the Porfidio Distillery...For those not familiar with the brand, it was, at the time, the most expensive Tequila on the market...with some of its Anejos selling for upwards of $1000 US per liter...

http://www.tequila.net/tequila-news/latest/the-history-of-porfidio-tequila.html

Anyway, the stuff was incredible...and the tour was, perhaps, the best bargain in PV...if you account for the value of the generous number of tastings we received. But, clearly, some people on our tour had little appreciation for what they were experiencing. While sampling one of the Anejos, one gentleman turned to his wife and said "This is pretty good...I should buy a bottle for my Margaritas..." Our guide overheard the comment and went into a mini-rage, almost grabbing the guy's cup from his hand...told him to go buy himself some cheap Jose Cuervo for his Margaritas...that using his product in a mixed drink was an insult...

Anyway, we get to the end of the tour and there is a sales counter with several varieties displayed with price tags...The lowest cost bottle, one of the "silver" variety, has a tag that says "190"...and this same guy asks the man "That's pesos, right?"...and the reply: "No, that's US Dollars..."

I'm guessing this guy went home and bought some Cuervo...

Upcoming cruise includes a stop in Cozumel and Playa de Maya in Mexico. I want to buy a good bottle of Tequila while I'm there. Nothing outrageuously expensive but not gut rot either. Any suggestions as to where and what to buy?

Thanks in advance.

There's plenty of really outstanding Tequila right here at home in the US and the price difference from Mexico is minimal. At a BevMo or Total Wine (even occasionally Costco), look for El Tesoro Reposado. IMO, it is the best value in a high end Tequila with a 750 ml bottle running about $30-35.

When you get it home, have a blind taste test with that swill called Jose Cuervo. You will never again buy cheap Tequila.

BTW, once you've got your Reposado (no need for Anejo (aged longer and almost too smooth), mix a real Margarita: El Tesoro Reposado, fresh lime juice and agave syrup (also available at better booze and grocery stores). Here's the recipe: https://www.liquor.com/recipes/tommys-margarita/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's plenty of really outstanding Tequila right here at home in the US and the price difference from Mexico is minimal. At a BevMo or Total Wine (even occasionally Costco), look for El Tesoro Reposado. IMO, it is the best value in a high end Tequila with a 750 ml bottle running about $30-35.

When you get it home, have a blind taste test with that swill called Jose Cuervo. You will never again buy cheap Tequila.

BTW, once you've got your Reposado (no need for Anejo (aged longer and almost too smooth), mix a real Margarita: El Tesoro Reposado, fresh lime juice and agave syrup (also available at better booze and grocery stores). Here's the recipe: https://www.liquor.com/recipes/tommys-margarita/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

with the difference being Anejo and Extra Anejo are drinking tequilas (think sips, not shots) and Reposado being great as a drink or mixed into drinks. some Reposados are quite drinkable too. you'll just get more of the alcohol taste versus agave.

fine tequilas drink very smoothly, not alcohol burn that can choke you, and finish with notes of caramel or vanilla.

Agree with Bo. The trick is to look for things not sold, or rarely sold, in the US. Don’t look for a deal on something available in the States.

There's "available in the States" and there's "available in Bible-belt state-run liquor stores in NC." I've been known to ask my CA daughter to bring me some that NC doesn't think to sell in it's stores.