Cruising with Toddlers - Appreciate All Advice

We’re tsking our 3.5 year old son with us on the Magic for the first time. We’re just going to go with the flow. Hopefully he will like the kids program and we can balance personal time with family time. We’re going to take a big beach stroller, his iPad with shows he likes but the main goal is to just keep him engaged with activities and have fun.

We’re tsking our 3.5 year old son with us on the Magic for the first time. We’re just going to go with the flow. Hopefully he will like the kids program and we can balance personal time with family time. We’re going to take a big beach stroller, his iPad with shows he likes but the main goal is to just keep him engaged with activities and have fun.

If he is used to pre-school, he will love camp. My son went to breakfast with us at 8 am, we dropped him at camp at 9 where he stayed til noon. We had family lunch and then most of the time he chose to go back to camp, but sometimes would ask to play putt putt or go to the pool. We would pick him up by 3 or 4 for a nap, put him in the shower at 5:30 and then head to dinner at 6. There are kids channels on the TV, so he really had no need of his electronic devices after burning all his energy in camp and on port days on shore excursions with us. Some crayons or a truck would keep him entertained at dinner along with conversation with us and watching and interaction with the wait staff. It really is a very easy way to travel with toddlers.

Avoid meltdowns over the pool/splashpad. If only one of your children is potty trained, avoid the area. Children must be potty trained to use any of the pool/water facilities on board. Do take small (think Dollar Tree) inflatables and toys for beach time while in port, though!

Mine enjoyed the disco at 10:00 AM for open space and a/c :)

My son loved the empty disco, too. After breakfast he’d ask to go to his “dance party” 😆

You will get dirty looks, give them right back. You will be told you're wasting your money on them, ignore it.

⬆️ I love this comment! I completely agree!

Lastly, I agree with balcony. SOOOOO nice to sit out there while they nap and sleep. My DH and I take turns chilling on the balcony or going to explore the ship.

Yes, I also recommend balconies especially when cruising with young kids.

Our youngest was 2 1/2 on his first cruise last year. I wasn't prepared for how overwhelmed and scared he would be of things. Things like going through security check-in before boarding to riding an elevator completely freaked him out. I never thought about that kind of thing but he had never been in an elevator before or on an escalator. He was scared when we were walking onto the cruise b/c he thought it was dark in the tunnel that connects to the boat. He wouldn't stay in the kids clubs so that wasn't an option for us. It wasn't for lack of the staff trying he just wouldn't go. At the time he had only stayed with his grandmother so wasn't use to a daycare setting.

You will use the stroller on the boat and off the boat. When we were going to a beach resort at one of the Ports he threw a fit b/c there was no car seat in the car. Which he had never not ridden in a car without a car seat so I'm sure he was freaked out. It took us a while to calm him down and we just kept apologizing to the taxi driver and he said he had 6 kids so he understood. I think I had unrealistic expectations for how he would handle things so that was my fault not his he was just being a toddler. I didn't take enough clothes I didn't think about him going through up to 3 outfits a day (he ate a lot of ice cream it's the only way we could calm him down sometimes). I wasn't prepared and didn't bring enough toys for him to be satisfied with playing on the deck. They can't get in the pool if they aren't potty trained so the pool wasn't an option..and still isn't an option b/c he will only get in a baby pool no big pools. I should have brought more toys for him just to sit poolside with and play with. It may be easier since your 2 kiddos are very close in age..ours are 8 years apart so I felt like I was with the toddler and my husband was with our 11yo. Have fun and just don't be like me and keep your expectations reasonable because I didn't.

Do not change their diapers in public Stinky.gif

Most of the time there is no choice as the restrooms around the ship don't have a diaper changer and I'm not going to go all the way back to my room just to change his diaper.

Our youngest was 2 1/2 on his first cruise last year. I wasn't prepared for how overwhelmed and scared he would be of things. Things like going through security check-in before boarding to riding an elevator completely freaked him out. I never thought about that kind of thing but he had never been in an elevator before or on an escalator. He was scared when we were walking onto the cruise b/c he thought it was dark in the tunnel that connects to the boat. He wouldn't stay in the kids clubs so that wasn't an option for us. It wasn't for lack of the staff trying he just wouldn't go. At the time he had only stayed with his grandmother so wasn't use to a daycare setting.

You will use the stroller on the boat and off the boat. When we were going to a beach resort at one of the Ports he threw a fit b/c there was no car seat in the car. Which he had never not ridden in a car without a car seat so I'm sure he was freaked out. It took us a while to calm him down and we just kept apologizing to the taxi driver and he said he had 6 kids so he understood. I think I had unrealistic expectations for how he would handle things so that was my fault not his he was just being a toddler. I didn't take enough clothes I didn't think about him going through up to 3 outfits a day (he ate a lot of ice cream it's the only way we could calm him down sometimes). I wasn't prepared and didn't bring enough toys for him to be satisfied with playing on the deck. They can't get in the pool if they aren't potty trained so the pool wasn't an option..and still isn't an option b/c he will only get in a baby pool no big pools. I should have brought more toys for him just to sit poolside with and play with. It may be easier since your 2 kiddos are very close in age..ours are 8 years apart so I felt like I was with the toddler and my husband was with our 11yo. Have fun and just don't be like me and keep your expectations reasonable because I didn't.

I think this is a very helpful post because it shows the difference in what the experience can be, depending upon the child's disposition and experience/exposure. I am sorry you "found out the hard way" that he wasn't ready to cruise. It really is about knowing your child - one that is "more worldly" (no judgement) having experienced pre-school, elevators and escalators is likely to have a much different experience regard cruising and camps. Some kids, when exposed to no cars seats will be just fine - other's it is the end of the world.

Personally, and this is JUST me, I would not cruise with a child until they were ready, both age wise, and maturity/developmentally for the experience. It would not be relaxing for us and I would chose a land based option where pools and other entertainments were available to us as a family. But, there are many who do enjoy it, and have reasonable expectations for their child and their family circumstances. We didn't cruise til my youngest was 2, almost 3 for these very reasons. I wanted him to be able to use the camps - and when he started pre-school at 2, after being at home with his grandmother those years, he needed some time to adapt and mature. For us, it worked beautifully.

I hope you try again after your son has developed more socially and emotionally - it really is a fantastic way to have a relaxing family vacation - three words that aren't often heard together!

I just would never suggest someone to not have a stroller. A stroller is a God-send. I would defn take it on a cruise. No question.

Why do you need to hold a 2 year old the whole time? They walk, don’t they? As I said - I had an umbrella stroller for ports but never took it out on the crowded ship - he walked holding my hand. No big deal. And at 2 he had zero issue enjoying an hour family dinner. He was a joy to travel with.

Of course not all children have an easy going disposition nor are all parents disciplined enough to keep the routines of home which make traveling with a young child possible.

I appreciate those that recognize that either they or their child are not ready or of a disposition to cruise at an early age and agree that it makes for a much better vacation when mom and dad are relaxed, even if that means the little one has a staycation with grandma.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think this is a very helpful post because it shows the difference in what the experience can be, depending upon the child's disposition and experience/exposure. I am sorry you "found out the hard way" that he wasn't ready to cruise. It really is about knowing your child - one that is "more worldly" (no judgement) having experienced pre-school, elevators and escalators is likely to have a much different experience regard cruising and camps. Some kids, when exposed to no cars seats will be just fine - other's it is the end of the world.

Personally, and this is JUST me, I would not cruise with a child until they were ready, both age wise, and maturity/developmentally for the experience. It would not be relaxing for us and I would chose a land based option where pools and other entertainments were available to us as a family. But, there are many who do enjoy it, and have reasonable expectations for their child and their family circumstances. We didn't cruise til my youngest was 2, almost 3 for these very reasons. I wanted him to be able to use the camps - and when he started pre-school at 2, after being at home with his grandmother those years, he needed some time to adapt and mature. For us, it worked beautifully.

I hope you try again after your son has developed more socially and emotionally - it really is a fantastic way to have a relaxing family vacation - three words that aren't often heard together!

We are cruising again with the family in October. He will be 4 when we cruise and since our last cruise he has been in day care, Pre-School and stayed with other baby sitters and had other experiences by himself like Vacation Bible School. So I think he is much more prepared now and will enjoy the kids camps and just have a better experience!

A simple piece of travel advice.

The rooms are small and getting ready can be stressful in such a small place. To help I packed each of my kids outfits in 1 zip lock bags Shirt , shorts, undies, socks, accessories (hair or belts) all in one bag. So when ever they needed dressed I would just pick a bag and go. No looking for anything. Then I would have a few pairs of neutral stuff in case something gets stained and needs changed.

Time consuming to pack but easy to unpack and then when its time to go home we always had a lot of extra zip locks. My kids now 16 and 14 say they miss their "outfit bags". Once they could dress themselves it was even better. They could pick a bag and go.

We also always bring a pop up hamper for dirty clothing.

The rooms are small and getting ready can be stressful in such a small place. To help I packed each of my kids outfits in 1 zip lock bags Shirt , shorts, undies, socks, accessories (hair or belts) all in one bag. So when ever they needed dressed I would just pick a bag and go. No looking for anything. Then I would have a few pairs of neutral stuff in case something gets stained and needs changed.

Time consuming to pack but easy to unpack and then when its time to go home we always had a lot of extra zip locks. My kids now 16 and 14 say they miss their "outfit bags". Once they could dress themselves it was even better. They could pick a bag and go.

Omg this tip is amazing!! I'm about to start packing for our July cruise and will def. be doing this!!

We use the suitcases under the bed for dirties - one less thing to pack and keeps the room clutter free.

This poster is famous for chiming in with highly optioned but ultimately useless comments like this one that add nothing to the discussion. You asked for suggestions - and were instead told don’t travel with your kids. It’s really non responsive to your question.

“It” is blocked on my settings for this reason.

That is about what I thought after looking at posting history. He/she must have one of the highest (# of posts to useful information) ratios on the board.

Most of the time there is no choice as the restrooms around the ship don't have a diaper changer and I'm not going to go all the way back to my room just to change his diaper.

So what are your options ? Place the child on a buffet table ? On the ships deck ? By the pool. Would you say that Carnival ships are not Baby friendly ? Do you think there might be a reason for that ?

So what are your options ? Place the child on a buffet table ? On the ships deck ? By the pool. Would you say that Carnival ships are not Baby friendly ? Do you think there might be a reason for that ?

I usually change him on a lounge chair on top of his changing pad since you're so concerned. If you're implying that the lack of diaper changers in the bathroom is a hint to families to not bring their diapered children, well maybe Carnival shouldn't market themselves as the "Fun Ships" or as a family vacation option. I'd venture to say it's likely lack of space causing their absence. But I'm not going to leave my young child at home during our family vacation because of it, and I'm not going to waste 30 minutes of my vacation walking to and from my room because some people act like they've never seen a naked baby before.

Dear Cruisers,

It will be our first time traveling with our 2 and 3 year old Tots. We will be sailing on the Carnival Splendor. We are feeling nervous as our Tots are energetic, impatient, and can be extremely fussy at times. Our embarkment time slot is 11 am. We will be arriving at Long Beach the night before. Our dinner time is "flex". And, we are taking a 6pm Flight back home from Lax. Our room is on the 11th floor midship. Any suggestions and advice to make our trips smoother? ....especially for Disembarkment? Should we bring strollers?

Do you have cheers? ;p But seriously Long Beach is an easy port. But there is a lot of walking. Definitely bring two strollers and go single file. The BBQ place on the 10th floor is open for lunch and is a lot quieter and less over whelming than the lido deck the first day.

The splash park is open on embarkation, on deck 11 if you want to let them run off their energy. Camp ocean will be available on deck 10 for play, but parents must stay and supervise the first day.

For disembarkation if you self-assist, carry your own luggage off, then you'll be one of the first decks called. You can get off before the lines get crazy, go rent a car, or take the bus over to the aquarium for the day.

The other option would be to wait until the ship is a ghost town to leave, but from my experience they shut down all of the fun stuff to encourage you getting off the ship. So I'd figure on an early exit plan and find a place to waste the day.

I usually change him on a lounge chair on top of his changing pad since you're so concerned. If you're implying that the lack of diaper changers in the bathroom is a hint to families to not bring their diapered children, well maybe Carnival shouldn't market themselves as the "Fun Ships" or as a family vacation option. I'd venture to say it's likely lack of space causing their absence. But I'm not going to leave my young child at home during our family vacation because of it, and I'm not going to waste 30 minutes of my vacation walking to and from my room because some people act like they've never seen a naked baby before.

I think your common sense works quite well. ;p Naked babies don't bother me . The smell of poo would bother me if I was about to dive in on a Guy's burger though . vomit.gif

I think your common sense works quite well. ;p Naked babies don't bother me . The smell of poo would bother me if I was about to dive in on a Guy's burger though . vomit.gif

Agreed. There's a time and a place for everything ;p

So

Cruising with a wheelchair or scooter: good

Cruising with a stroller: bad

Got it.

Wheelchairs and scooters are nightmares - just read all the posts about people being run into and over. But, they are medically necessary (I am going to have to assume that every person who uses one does so because they NEED to - and will not play guess the ailment or attempt to judge if they need it).

A stroller is not medically necessary - its a parental convenience. That's all. The stroller is fine for ports and other open places - but they do not work well on the promenade at 7 pm when crowds of people are moving to and from shows and dining venues. If parents would use them responsibly - for long distances and not as child containers or worse - child push toys - then I might feel differently. I managed to raise my two sons to walk politely, holding hands where ever we needed to go from the moment they started walking, so it can be done. Yes - I used a stroller for long distances when they were very small but by 3, they could walk anywhere I could without issue. I just don't believe in inconveniencing everyone else with a massive ankle clipper that isn't really necessary.

If he is used to pre-school, he will love camp. My son went to breakfast with us at 8 am, we dropped him at camp at 9 where he stayed til noon. We had family lunch and then most of the time he chose to go back to camp, but sometimes would ask to play putt putt or go to the pool. We would pick him up by 3 or 4 for a nap, put him in the shower at 5:30 and then head to dinner at 6. There are kids channels on the TV, so he really had no need of his electronic devices after burning all his energy in camp and on port days on shore excursions with us. Some crayons or a truck would keep him entertained at dinner along with conversation with us and watching and interaction with the wait staff. It really is a very easy way to travel with toddlers.

He's in preschool/day care because my wife and I both work full time. He loves school and his teachers, he can be shy at first but we're looking forward to it, and he is too.

1. Find a local Walmart upon arrival the day before and buy a cheap umbrella stroller so you don’t have to mess with it on the way there

2. Sign up for the Penguin club so you have free time

3. Plan out nap time for after 3pm so you can relax and get ready for dinner

4. Bring snacks that they like to eat

5. Go to the game room to the claw machine and win them prizes. They’re small and cheap but go a long way

Just a few tips from a very recent experience with a 3 year old (who had a fabulous time)

Omg this tip is amazing!! I'm about to start packing for our July cruise and will def. be doing this!!

Thanks

I did it up until the pre teen years when they didn't have outfits anymore. They miss the bags. My 14 YO son still asks me to pack him that way. I think he just doesn't want to pack himself. :-)