3 day cruises out of long beach

Nevada Jen

looking to do a quick last minute vacation. How much of a drunk fest is the 3 day cruise to Ensenada out of long beach? Like would you take a 13 Year old with just one adult and have a reasonably good reasonably sober weekend getaway? What does one even do in Ensenada? The destination board has very little info on it. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I can't imagine it is any better (ie fewer drunks) than on a 4 day out of FLL and that was definitely a party. DH and I still managed to have a wonderful romantic, non drunk weekend as we spend a lot of time on our balcony. We had dinner at 6, enjoyed an early show, had a drink or two and then went back to relax and watch the stars and the water. We were in bed by 10 each night.

Not sure how you plan on spending the time with a 13 year old - when we travel our kids use the kids club and would stay out later than us. I would NOT want my kids staying out late without me on a party ship; my son is 14, very responsible and often puts himself to be before we turn in if he has had a full day. Peer pressure doesn't really work on him, but for me this would be tempting fate with a good kid.

So, if it is more of a girls weekend where you are going to just hang out, play cards, read, get a pedicure or enjoy the sauna, then it looks a lot like a couple's weekend and could be done as you can always find quiet places on a ship. But if you plan on using the kids clubs I would be hesitant, personally.

We sail these short cruises several times a year. January and June if this year. They can be anywhere from snoozefest to Vegas Gone Wild. No idea what you’ll end up with.

Our wildest short cruise was on Princess first week in November a few years back, the group was asked not to return to Carnival.

That being said, we’ve always been able to find quiet spots around the ship. The Lido pool is always a fiasco.

Friend just returned from the three day yesterday with her grandson. No problems.

This is a pretty party heavy cruise. But I agree with other folks in that you can avoid the madness altogether and still have a good time. Ideal family pool time is probably before noon....the revelers will have a tough time waking up after partying all night. There are plenty of games and activities on board like trivia and shows and the sports area that can amuse you both. One of my favorite traditions is to grab some midnight pizza and enjoy it on the balcony or anywhere outside.

For Ensenada, I highly recommend the Zip Line/Obstacle course and La Bufaladora (the blowhole) excursion that you can do independently. There's a shuttle of white buses outside of the port area that can take you to a center in town that distributes folks to various adventures for cheaper than the cruise ship excursions. We had a great day on the zip lines and obstacle course, and followed up with fish tacos from La Bufaladora vendors. You can also check the Mexican Riviera Port board for more tips.

Thanks everyone. I decided to skip it in favor a a fancy room at a fancy hotel with a waterpark in town. We did a 4 day on Liberty out of Port Canaveral over New Years and I was shocked how sedate it was, but I think a few of you hit the nail on the head, we would eat, go to a show and then hang out in our room on our BALCONY, which neither of the Long Beach ships have. And it stormed like crazy so for at least half the trip all outside areas on the ship were closed, cutting down on the Lido party scene. I suspect we inadventantly avoided the crazy party scene. No balcony, plus drunks, plus kid = no bueno.

They're awful. On the last night a few years ago there were some drunk people in the hallway talking very loudly. I politely asked them to quiet down, as it was nearly 2am. Instead they called security and told them I was sick and the medic called my room twice to check on me. In the middle of the night. And then security came by an hour later. I didn't sleep much that night.

I see you made other arrangements but just for future info I have done the 3 day cruise with my now 10 and 13 year old at least once a year and I don’t ever recall anything too out of control. Labor Day weekend was probably the roudiest time but when the pool was packed on sea day we would go upstairs to the water park area which is typically not of interest to adults. We also bring our own board games to play. The last time we didn’t take them to kids club but we usually only do that for an hour a day on most cruises anyway. But we did karaoke and played an interactive Sorry game lead by Carnival. They do wander the ship for an hour at a time in the day time too. We just download the hub app on their phones though so we have messaging available. My children love cruises!

As far as Ensenada there is not much to do and I am a little fearful of Mexico so we just stay on the ship. I have taken them off the first time just to walk around and shop for an hour.

But we are doing a 7 day Mexican Riviera in October and we probably won’t get off the ship there either. We have done that itinerary 2 years ago and got off in both ports and did a shore excursion in Puerta Vallarta. But the week after we got home there was an incident in a restaurant where people were killed. The tourist areas are usually ok but sometimes it’s just wrong place at wrong time so I just like to play it safe and enjoy empty boat.

I like the 3 day cruises as opposed to hotel stays, although I love a good staycation too, because I find it more cost effective. We did a 2 night stay in San Diego in June and spent more than we would have for the cruise.

In Ensenada I’d go to La Bufadora. Then walk around town.

In town it’s perfectly safe near the ship, except for the sidewalks off the tourist streets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums