Tell me about Half Moon Cay

july72807

It is a private beach, and an amazing one at that.

Most spend the day relaxing on the beach. You can rent a cabana or villa, via carnival excursions. All activities are run by Carnival, and can be booked as an excursion (or maybe once you get there, if there is availability).

You won't find any 3rd party excursions or activities, though.

Been there four times and will be back again in Nov. it’s the most beautiful beach. Soft sand, long and wide, water is perfect. We always book a clam shell ahead as husband doesn’t like too much sun. It’s a few minute ride on the transfer over which is a nice little ride. Holland America has a bbq lunch included and we’ve always found it pretty good. Typical bbq menu. I know there are things to do but we just chill out and enjoy the beach. You will love it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a beach day, pure and simple. There are several "beach" locations...we LOVE the private beach day!

You can relax or be active..up to you! They offer plenty of ways to spend more money, or you can forgo all that, and not spend a dime!

Give it a try....betting you'll enjoy it! If you don't, the ship is up and running and will be less crowded than a sea day would be!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 8:22 PM, july72807 said:

so when we arrive do we just go to the beach or should we find a specific spot?

If you just want a beach day just head straight there.  There are lots of lounge chairs to relax on.  If you prefer a quieter area of the beach just keep walking.  

Once you’ve arrived off the tender you’ll see the beach area-it’s beautiful.  We take our snorkel gear and spend awhile in the water locating the resident octopus etc.  

Have fun.  We love it there.  Our son and DIL are coming for the first time here with us in February and are thinking of taking the horseback excursion.  Hubby and I did the stingray snorkel in the past and enjoyed it.  

It all depends on what you want to do.  We don’t rent a clamshell-just use the lounge chairs.  If it gets too hot you can go to the bar!

I have been reading about this beautiful port, as this will be our first visit there. I have a few questions about things I cannot find:

• I see that the BBQ lunch is included like on the ship; however, the only ship port map I can find is from HA and we will be on Carnival. Is lunch served at the same pavilion for both lines?
  • What is the cost to rent a clamshell? I do not see this listed under excursions for my ship, so I do not know if that means they are all rented, or if we need to rent one after arrival.
  • I read a few posts about a quieter area farther down the beach past the private cabanas. Another person wrote to walk to the right end of the beach, and the area past the cabanas looks like it is left of the tender spot. Which is correct? Or, am I misunderstanding what is meant?
  • Are there lounge chairs and clamshells in that quiet area, too? Or, are chairs and clamshells only in the busy area?
  • I read about fitness trail and hiking trails, which sound like they are different trails. Do these begin near the Welcome Center? Are they doable in walking sandals or will we need something more sturdy?

Thanks!! 

Yes, BBQ is offered on Carnival. 

Look around again...I believe the clamshells are $19 on Carnival.

As you approach the island, the "quiet area" is to the left of the tender docking area, past the main beach with the lounge chairs and cabanas. There aren't lounge chairs or any other amenities in the area. It will be very apparent as you arrive and tender ashore.

All activities originate out of the town square, or very close. I haven't hiked the trails you mention, but given the very soft sand on the island, hiking probably would require tennis shoes or better. Not hiking boots. I think the sand would be a little frustrating in flip flops. Might be ok in sandals with some support.

Thank you for the better info.

No, there are no clamshells listed for my cruise; not even as sold out. All of the others (cabana, villa, oasis) are listed and all sold out, which is why I thought it might be something we could get after arriving. 

I understand lunch is provided for all; I just was not certain if it is the same lunch provided for all in the same area. Seems like it would be easier that way, but you never know. 

I thought of another question: What kind of payment do we need for drinks? Cash, credit card, S&S card... I know drink package beverages are not included.

3 hours ago, Mich3 said:

I have been reading about this beautiful port, as this will be our first visit there. I have a few questions about things I cannot find:

• I see that the BBQ lunch is included like on the ship; however, the only ship port map I can find is from HA and we will be on Carnival. Is lunch served at the same pavilion for both lines?
  • What is the cost to rent a clamshell? I do not see this listed under excursions for my ship, so I do not know if that means they are all rented, or if we need to rent one after arrival.
  • I read a few posts about a quieter area farther down the beach past the private cabanas. Another person wrote to walk to the right end of the beach, and the area past the cabanas looks like it is left of the tender spot. Which is correct? Or, am I misunderstanding what is meant?
  • Are there lounge chairs and clamshells in that quiet area, too? Or, are chairs and clamshells only in the busy area?
  • I read about fitness trail and hiking trails, which sound like they are different trails. Do these begin near the Welcome Center? Are they doable in walking sandals or will we need something more sturdy?

Thanks!! 

I was there with my husband in September and here is what I remember:

*Map should be the same as HAL map, same pavilion.  Plenty of covered seating - we had lots of chickens wandering the area, but they pretty much left us alone.

*We didn't rent a clamshell, but I'd read they get very warm inside.  We had two chairs in the shade, but I think we consolidated down to one because we just used it to hold our stuff.  It was very hot that day (over 100) so we were in the water almost the whole time except for lunch, restroom, and reapplying sunscreen.

*Our area was fairly quiet.  From the ship, it was the to the left end of the beach (on the beach the ship was visible to the left), near a lifeguard station and restroom.  I think there were still some cabanas nearby, but not the larger villas.  Lots of chairs.

*Plenty of chairs in our area, but not sure if there is another area to the right of the ship (viewed from the ship).

*Walking sandals should be fine if you are walking.  We had planned a long run based on descriptions of the trails, but it was too hot.  My memory is it was mixed surfaces.  Some hard surface (golf carts drove on it), some packed earth.  Sand was everywhere, so something you don't mind getting sandy is key.

Your S/S card should be accepted, but I would bring some small bills for tips maybe.  We brought a 2.5L hydration pack of water and didn't do any souvenirs, but I'm pretty sure drinks are on your cruise card.

• Like 1