NFL Games on Cruise

We will be taking our first cruise in a couple years this fall and another around X-mas. We are truly blessed.

Is it true that they no longer show sports on the ships? When did this happen if so? My husband and sons love to bet on football and I'm worried they may not come if they have to miss 2-3 football Sundays, Mondays and Thurdays. Thanks in advance, I've already learned so much from this site. Wish I'd known about it years ago!

Carnival stopped carrying ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX local stations on their ships last year. Since most NFL games are televised on those stations, it is highly unlikely your guys will be able to watch their favorite NFL games on any Carnival ship during the upcoming NFL season, or even see NFL scores during your cruise. Personally I made the decision not to cruise Carnival during this coming NFL/college football season.

Edited by winddawn

Carnival stopped carrying ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX local stations on their ships last year. Since most NFL games are televised on those stations, it is highly unlikely your guys will be able to watch their favorite NFL games on any Carnival ship during the upcoming NFL season, or even see NFL scores during your cruise. Personally I made the decision not to cruise Carnival during this coming NFL/college football season.

This is not accurate information. Yes, they stopped the networks in the cabins. The sports bar had everything on in April. The Masters, NBA, NCAA, soccer and baseball. Note they don't have Directv anymore, so whatever network feed is, is what will be shown. I also bet football and can tell you Carnival blocks all gambling sites. I had to place bets at ports, including Fan Duel.

This is not accurate information. Yes, they stopped the networks in the cabins. The sports bar had everything on in April. The Masters, NBA, NCAA, soccer and baseball. Note they don't have Directv anymore, so whatever network feed is, is what will be shown. I also bet football and can tell you Carnival blocks all gambling sites. I had to place bets at ports, including Fan Duel.

Thanks for the information. One of our ships is the Magic which I see you went on. The boys will be disappointed to hear that.

I was on the Fascination and they had NBA playoffs at Bogart's cafe and on Lido. I assume NFL will be the same. You can get these games, they just don't have most of them in the rooms because of the individual costs.

I'll be on a "Super Bowl Cruise" I hear they will play the game on the big screen on Lido. That should be fun!

On the Dream last year, they were playing a Saints game on the big screen as we left NOLA. Lots of Saints fans on board.

Then on Saturday night they showed the Bama/LSU game on the big screen. Love watching LSwho fans cry. Love hearing Rammer Jammer sung loud and proud over the Lido deck. Just beautiful.

I'll throw out my experience as a avid NFL viewer/season ticket holder. I never would sail on a sunday during football season. I've limited myself to 5-day cruises starting on Monday during football season the past few years. I did those on Triumph out of New Orleans the past two years. Two years ago I was able to watch the monday and thursday night games in the sports bar. Last year the Saints were one of the monday night games and since we were sailing out of New Orleans, they were shown on the big screen on Lido deck. Last year they were unable to pickup the thursday night NFL game in the sports bar.

I have since decided I want to do 7-day cruises and not miss any regular season NFL games so I'm sailing the last week of August this year and next.

We will be taking our first cruise in a couple years this fall and another around X-mas. We are truly blessed.

Is it true that they no longer show sports on the ships? When did this happen if so? My husband and sons love to bet on football and I'm worried they may not come if they have to miss 2-3 football Sundays, Mondays and Thurdays. Thanks in advance, I've already learned so much from this site. Wish I'd known about it years ago!

Choosing football over a cruise, with your wife and mother? Wow.

Simply not true. They show games in the sports bar and a few spots, but true you likely won't get to pick what games you watch and they won't be shown in the cabin.

They do block internet gambling sites.

I still say good luck watching your favorite football game on a ship. My last cruise during football season (which was already booked before Carnival flipped the switch) showed a game on a couple of small screens around a bar, but the area was so crowded because that was the only place to watch, you couldn't even find standing room, much less a place to sit and enjoy the game. And it was so smoky, you couldn't stand to hang out there anyway. I stand by my decision to not cruise Carnival during football season.

Our last cruise I got to watch my favorite college football team play right in my own cabin. Man, that was nice! I'm sure going to miss that. After our current booked cruise I may have to reconsider booking times... or cruise lines.:o

What cruise line do you think carries network stations in the stateroom?

Choosing football over a cruise, with your wife and mother? Wow.

What a ridiculous comment? It's 3 hours dude, relax.

Windawn, the best sports spot is the bar behind the Pizza Pirate, nice size TV, no smoke, steps from Pizza, and easy to get a drinks

What cruise line do you think carries network stations in the stateroom?

Carnival did in the Fall of 2017. It was ESPN, I believe. I watched Alabama versus Vanderbilt. Bama won 62-0. We were docked until 10:00 PM at Nassau. My sweet wife went and got pizza for me during the game. I guess I won't be doing it anymore though. ::( I was kidding about changing cruise lines, thus the big eyed icon. Sorry if I upset you. :*

Edited by Towel Critter
edit: Correction. It was September, not November. The ship was the Carnival Victory.

Carnival did in the Fall of 2017. It was ESPN, I believe. I watched Alabama versus Vanderbilt. Bama won 62-0. We were docked until 10:00 PM at Nassau. My sweet wife went and got pizza for me during the game. I guess I won't be doing it anymore though. ::( I was kidding about changing cruise lines, thus the big eyed icon. Sorry if I upset you. :*

Yes, they did. Roll Tide. I'm not upset, but some people seem to be over missing a game. I was just pointing out that if TV channels are that important, to find out if, and how, you might see them on the cruise line of your choice.

I believe Carnival was the last mass market cruise line to switch TV packages which resulted in loss of major network channels. I don't believe you will find them on Royal, for example.

Yes, they did. Roll Tide. I'm not upset, but some people seem to be over missing a game. I was just pointing out that if TV channels are that important, to find out if, and how, you might see them on the cruise line of your choice.

I believe Carnival was the last mass market cruise line to switch TV packages which resulted in loss of major network channels. I don't believe you will find them on Royal, for example.

Sure was nice while it lasted. Oh well, RTR! I'll miss two games this year while on an eight night cruise. I wish my wife was a football fan. I might be able to talk her into cruising sometime other than football season.:(